HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
I, too, just ordered one. Wanting to do some AP work and this seems like it fits the bill for basics. I'll post again when I get it flying.
Flim63 is offline Find More Posts by Flim63
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,949 Posts
I am interested for my 450. I have the WKH for my 550 and I am happy with the way it flies. I will see how you guys like it flying. I may have a few SK720's for sale.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lightbridge set up
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
It arrived after UPS called at 8AM confirming my address. Got it at 9AM, although the size of the box was a bit confusing.

The box the full kit (NAZA, BEC, GPS) came in is 4"x4"x4" - but everything was there plus some extra mounting accessories and a Tail Boom Mount for the GPS!

So, since I have already broke the Blade Holder on the Blade 500 3D, I put the unit on the Blade 450 3D and set it up.

Note: You have to use Airplane Mode, not Heli mode. << NOT TRUE!

You must have the transmitter in HELI mode

The Blade 450 3D with the NAZA Unit and GPS installed, however I have no need for the BEC at this time.
Notice the NAZA replaced the Gyro's location.
The Blade 500 3D and Trex 450 Clone can be seen, as well as the CF-U1 Tablet I use for field programming.

The BEC feeds the NAZA the main battery and servo battery voltage, and has the selection for both 5.8V and 7.4V for servo output.

The NAZA unit installed just aft of the CG. Futaba 8FG reciever seen below, and the factory installed Spektrum 7CH in still onboard - I will be using this for the camera and spotlight pan/tilt as well as langing gear in larger helis.

The GPS rests on the horizontal tail fin, the LED module is mounted on the tail skid, visible from the left side of the craft.

With the canopy on. I don't fly with the canopy though, it mucks up my equipment when I have it on.
Bearsa LLC is offline Find More Posts by Bearsa LLC
Last edited by Bearsa LLC; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
First Flight: Successful

Although it cannot take off in ATT or GPS mode, I can get a basic hover and switch to GPS mode.
Gain still requires adjustment, as the tail oscillates heavily in Manual mode.

I have never flown a CP helicopter, and have only flown a FP heli once.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,949 Posts
Are you using the recommended gains? I think the auto take off and landing is scheduled for a later software release. Interesting that it is set up in ACRO mode.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Be careful using that zip tie directly over the unit. That will transfer vibrations directly into the unit and can cause havoc with any FBL unit brand. You could possibly get strange oscillations, tail wags, or any number of bad behaviors from the unit that may not be able to be dialed out if you have excessives vibes in a FBL unit.

Use a soft Velcro strap very lightly over the unit if anything, and even then consider placing some type of Zeal tape, gyro mount gel or foam between the unit and the strap. If you need any type of strap to be mounted tightly around the unit in order for it to be secure, then you need to re consider the mounting location or setup you are using. The strap should be very lightly tightened over the unit, but try and get by with not using one at all if possible.

The boom block is also one of the highest vibration areas on a heli. You may not have much of a choice depending on what size heli you use, but between the frames will ultimately be better and the closer the unit is to the main shaft and COG will result in less lateral vibrations being sensed by the unit.

These rules aren't specific to the Naza, but apply to any FBL unit with accelerometers which are very vibration sensitive.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,949 Posts
DJI products are different from most stabilization units. They want to be hard mounted with the thin double sided tape DJI supplies. The Naza has internal dampening for the sensors. I am not a big fan of zip tying the FC either. I have found that the double stick tape is plenty strong to hold even in some pretty dramatic crashes. I just use the tape with my WKH. Same mounting position on my 550.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
DJI products are different from most stabilization units. They want to be hard mounted with the thin double sided tape DJI supplies. The Naza has internal dampening for the sensors. I am not a big fan of zip tying the FC either. I have found that the double stick tape is plenty strong to hold even in some pretty dramatic crashes. I just use the tape with my WKH. Same mounting position on my 550.
Ok, cool and as long as she works I just know what strapping the unit down like that will do from a vibration standpoint. Less vibes is always better, even if the unit is designed to filter them out. I've never had any unit come loose unit using good tape, even after plowing them in really hard a few times unfortunately.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
That's what I was basing mounting on, my F450 and F550. I have the NAZAM hard mounted on them.

Since I have moved the units around to a better accessible location. Also on a Blade 500.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,949 Posts
Now where are the flight videos? We want to see them.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Now where are the flight videos? We want to see them.
Let me see what I can do for the videos. I work duing the day and the winter daylight goes away quickly.

It's either going to be later tonight or early tomorrow morning, but I'll try and get a video up of the flight.

Also, what's your opinion on instructional videos? Would Naza-H features and tips video help, as they're some major upgrades from the previous version, even in the alpha release.

Also, as far as the Auto-Takeoff, I have found a workaround.

You set the RPM in manual mode, and you are supposed to get it hovering and then switch to GPS/ATT.

To Take-Off Automatically, which does require amazing gyro adjustment or rudder adjustment. Switching to GPS/ATT makes the unit hold the current RPM and work only through pitch.
So, you set the RPM to 40-45% in manual and switch to GPS/ATT. At 45% stick you will be able to switch to ATT or GPS without any hazard of vertical speed increase. Just east the throttle up, keep the tail straight, and you won't have to touch the Pitch or Roll what so ever!
Last edited by Bearsa LLC; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,949 Posts
That is why I was interested in why the set up was in ACRO mode. With the WKM , it is set up in Heli and the rpm is at 80% at 30% throttle. So at that point it is all pitch control. Thanks for the feedback. Would you recommend this for beginning Heli pilots or for the experienced only?
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
I fixed my original post, and you do have to be in HELI mode
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:03 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsa LLC View Post
I fixed my original post, and you do have to be in HELI mode
Thanks for that. I was concerned. Now that I know that you are in Helli mode it makes more sense.\
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Blade 500 3D with NAZA-H Autopilot (1 min 27 sec)

Auto Takeoff and Landing with GPS Loiter