HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:11 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,215 Posts
That is not what the manual says and DJI recommends. One poster here had a blade strike because he was trying to take off in ATTI. Be forewarned.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
That is not what the manual says and DJI recommends. One poster here had a blade strike because he was trying to take off in ATTI. Be forewarned.
he probably had set up incorrect or tried to operate right stick before in air. Ive been through 6 packs now no incidents, takes off straight up.
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:32 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,314 Posts
Quote:
I also suggest not to try this. We have a firmware update coming up, I would wait for it.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
I also suggest not to try this. We have a firmware update coming up, I would wait for it.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Why not? I see no logical reason the ESC can not be run by the RX.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:52 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,215 Posts
One I thought that we were talking about semi-auto take off and landing. Two by having the esc connected to the Rx you are bypassing part of the control that the Naza uses for stability. It is your heli do what you want, but if you are going to not use the Naza as intended, why do you have one?
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
One I thought that we were talking about semi-auto take off and landing. Two by having the esc connected to the Rx you are bypassing part of the control that the Naza uses for stability. It is your heli do what you want, but if you are going to not use the Naza as intended, why do you have one?
1) plugging ESC into rx makes semi auto takeoffs and landings possible
2) you are in fact NOT bypassing NAZA's stability as NAZA uses pitch to control height not throttle
3) I have a naza for the position hole, atti hold and amazing stability, none of which are being sacrificed by running throttle off the RX...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:12 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,563 Posts
I have a Castle ICE 100 on my T-Rex 500, which will be the test-bed for the Naza-H. I have governor mode with specific RPMs set up on the ESC. Should I disable those settings before connecting the ESC to the Naza-H? Or does the Naza simply ignore those settings?
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:16 AM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I have a Castle ICE 100 on my T-Rex 500, which will be the test-bed for the Naza-H. I have governor mode with specific RPMs set up on the ESC. Should I disable those settings before connecting the ESC to the Naza-H? Or does the Naza simply ignore those settings?
Mine is using the Castle governor mode and works fine.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
No need to disable, when esc is plugged into the NAZA the throttle acts as normal in manual mode, when you switch to ATTI or GPS the throttle position of the stick is locked at current position and all thats controlled at that point is pitch, so gov mode could actually be helpful here.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:23 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Mine is using the Castle governor mode and works fine.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
No need to disable, when esc is plugged into the NAZA the throttle acts as normal in manual mode, when you switch to ATTI or GPS the throttle position of the stick is locked at current position and all thats controlled at that point is pitch, so gov mode could actually be helpful here.
Okay, so once again I am over-analyzing. Thanks for the replies; will leave the ESC settings alone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Had a good video of a flight with the ESC plugged into my RX and not the NAZA, but a smack into a phone line running across my field corrupted my video lol. Try again next weekend lol.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,563 Posts
Hi guys, I wanted to talk about external BECs vs. the BEC built into a Castle ICE 100. I know we talked about this a few pages back and I'm not trying to argue the point, but wanted to talk about the pros/cons of running one vs. not running one:
  • The power drain of the Naza-H is 300mA
  • The power drain of the Futaba 617FS receiver is 80mA
  • The power drain of the Futaba GY520 gyro is 20mA

Those three components are drawing 400mA, which isn't even 1/2 amp. Now I know that doesn't factor in the current drain of the three cyclic servos and the tail servo... I realize that. But my point is that the BEC built into the Castle ICE 100 is 5A. If I bought a CC BEC and ran it on 6s, I'd still only get 5A out of it. I just can't see the servos drawing 4.5 amps... especially for the kind of flying I do. I have neither the skills nor the desire to throw a helicopter around the sky.... and couldn't do that anyway with the Naza-H unless I'm in manual mode.

I'm really thinking the BEC built into the ESC in this case is sufficient. I can see the need for a separate and/or more powerful BEC for larger helis but I'm thinking I'm okay for a 500-class heli. I'm flying the heli with the BEC built into the ESC now and if I add the Naza-H I'm only adding 300mA to the total current draw... and probably a little less at that since the BEC is at 6V.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I a reckless idiot?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:43 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys, I wanted to talk about external BECs vs. the BEC built into a Castle ICE 100. I know we talked about this a few pages back and I'm not trying to argue the point, but wanted to talk about the pros/cons of running one vs. not running one:
  • The power drain of the Naza-H is 300mA
  • The power drain of the Futaba 617FS receiver is 80mA
  • The power drain of the Futaba GY520 gyro is 20mA

Those three components are drawing 400mA, which isn't even 1/2 amp. Now I know that doesn't factor in the current drain of the three cyclic servos and the tail servo... I realize that. But my point is that the BEC built into the Castle ICE 100 is 5A. If I bought a CC BEC and ran it on 6s, I'd still only get 5A out of it. I just can't see the servos drawing 4.5 amps... especially for the kind of flying I do. I have neither the skills nor the desire to throw a helicopter around the sky.... and couldn't do that anyway with the Naza-H unless I'm in manual mode.

I'm really thinking the BEC built into the ESC in this case is sufficient. I can see the need for a separate and/or more powerful BEC for larger helis but I'm thinking I'm okay for a 500-class heli. I'm flying the heli with the BEC built into the ESC now and if I add the Naza-H I'm only adding 300mA to the total current draw... and probably a little less at that since the BEC is at 6V.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I a reckless idiot?
You have to consider Atti and GPS modes, the cyclic servos keep adjusting for leveling and maintaining altitude continuously; against the wind or attempting to level and drifting. Digital servos draw quite a lot of current; whey you are flying without any stabilization it is quite a different story.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/faqs...vos/index.html
Typically a digital servo can draw 2 amps under load.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
You have to consider Atti and GPS modes, the cyclic servos keep adjusting for leveling and maintaining altitude continuously; against the wind or attempting to level and drifting. Digital servos draw quite a lot of current; whey you are flying without any stabilization it is quite a different story.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/faqs...vos/index.html
Typically a digital servo can draw 2 amps under load.
Thats 2A under MAX load! Even in 3D flight ive been well under 2A, during scale flight i rarely go above 1A with a FBL heli (FBL draws more load than fly-bared helies)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:44 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,563 Posts
All good points. I'm not using GPS with mine so that will be one less thing to draw current from the BEC. I had a T-Rex 500 ESP in the past and was using the BEC built into the Align ESC which is only rated at 3A continuous/5A burst. The ESP kit came with 3 x digital cyclic servos and I added a GY-401 gyro and S9257 tail servo. And while I was learning to fly, I had installed an FMA Direct Co-Pilot II system. That system draws around 10mA. While that's less than the Naza-H technically I was working with two less amps unless I went into the burst area.

I can't believe that everyone who has a T-Rex 500 are using BECs like the CC BEC Pro which puts out 20A. I'm not a 3D stick-banger and even if I was, that's not the point of the Naza-H as you can't go over 45 degrees tilt unless you're in manual mode.

BTW I'm flybarred... I haven't gotten into this FBL craze. And get off my lawn!
RCG Plus Member