HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
With the Naza H you won't need it or the gyro.
Are you talking about the Transmitter? I think I need that...
Bearsa LLC is offline Find More Posts by Bearsa LLC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,767 Posts
Not the transmitter, the Flight Controller, what ever they use to stabilize the FBL heli.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Not the transmitter, the Flight Controller, what ever they use to stabilize the FBL heli.
The Naza unit IS the FBL Controller. It connects to a traditional RX, but you don't need a seperate tail gyro because that is built into the unit. What I think you are saying is he could buy a FBL heli which already has FBL unit in it of some kind and then remove that FBL unit and sell it?????

We are confusing the words Controller with TX I think.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,767 Posts
Xrayted, you are correct. My suggestion was to buy a used FLB heli. If it came with a FBL unit and tail gyro he could sell them and then install the Naza H. I purchased a new 550E FBL and sold the 3G and gyro then installed the WKH.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Xrayted, you are correct. My suggestion was to buy a used FLB heli. If it came with a FBL unit and tail gyro he could sell them and then install the Naza H. I purchased a new 550E FBL and sold the 3G and gyro then installed the WKH.
Got it! So do you have the unit installed and flying yet, or is it still a build project?I have a few questions on how the unit behaves that no one seems to be able to answer if yours is flying and you have actual experience with it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,767 Posts
Just with the WKH. It does not do 3D. Mostly for scale. it works well. The set up is not the easiest. Probably because of the close relationship to the Ace One. I do not have a Naza H. I don't think anyone has them except the factory testers.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Just with the WKH. It does not do 3D. Mostly for scale. it works well. The set up is not the easiest. Probably because of the close relationship to the Ace One. I do not have a Naza H. I don't think anyone has them except the factory testers.
My assumption, based on reading the instructions for both the Naza H and Wookong H, are that they operate pretty much the same.

It appears that the system uses the sticks neutral position when you flip into atti or GPS atti to determine how to hold the heli in position, both from throttle and cyclic point of view. The notes say not to flip into these modes while inverted and to make sure not to move the sticks when flipping into these modes. Tis tells me that you must come to a stop and into a stable hover before going into GPS atti mode or else the system will use whatever your stick positions are as its hover reference and bads things will happen. At least this is how I interpret it, and if I'm correct this means you can not use this system as a bail out if you lose orientation unless you somehow get the heli hovering normally first??

This is the one point that I can't seem to get anyone to answer for me..........I'm not a 3D guy, so I won't be inverted, but what happens if I'm just flying circuits and lose orientation and flip the system into GS atti mode? Will the system just right itself from whatever orientation it happens to be in and go into a stable hover (not inverted) or must I have the heli in a controlled level hover before ever switching into one of these modes to begin with?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,767 Posts
I think that you would be hard pressed to get a Naza H inverted in either GPS or ATTI. In Multi Rotor you have to loose a prop or a motor to make that happen. With a SRH, that is not an issue.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
I think that you would be hard pressed to get a Naza H inverted in either GPS or ATTI. In Multi Rotor you have to loose a prop or a motor to make that happen. With a SRH, that is not an issue.
I realize that, but that is not what I'm really asking and I have no desire to be inverted. Do you have to come to a complete stop, in stable hover with hands off the sticks before flipping your unit into GPS atti, or can you do it while in FFF with the craft in motion or in an attitude other than level hover? That is really all I am trying to figure out, but I haven't been able to get one straight answer on this from anyone at this point. The answer to this question determines for me whether this unit can be used as bailout or not in the event of loss of orientation.

I'm not interested in flying my heli to some point and then locking it there with GPS although that would be somewhat useful for AP. My main interest is the ability to use GPS atti as a rescue mode only if needed, so it can right the heli and lock it into place until I can take back over in manual mode again. This will not be possible if the heli must be already be in a stable hover with sticks at neutral before switching into GPS atti mode. I'm just trying to get some definitive answers from those who have actually flown with the unit on how it behaves, but it looks like Im just going to have to buy one for the hell of it and see for myself what it will do

Thanks for the info and feedback
Last edited by Xrayted; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:13 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,767 Posts
That is not what the system does in my understanding. When you initiate the system. You activate the gyros and accelerometers. They calibrate the upright position and the compass calculates the direction. That is why they tell you not to touch the sticks while it goes through its start up routine. Once completed, you can start the heli in a normal manner. You are probably a better pilot than I am. I fly mostly in ATTI and then flip to GPS. I can also fly normally in GPS-ATTI however the controls a little sluggish. When you center the sticks it hovers in one spot. I will try and get you a more definitive answer.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
That is not what the system does in my understanding. When you initiate the system. You activate the gyros and accelerometers. They calibrate the upright position and the compass calculates the direction. That is why they tell you not to touch the sticks while it goes through its start up routine. Once completed, you can start the heli in a normal manner. You are probably a better pilot than I am. I fly mostly in ATTI and then flip to GPS. I can also fly normally in GPS-ATTI however the controls a little sluggish. When you center the sticks it hovers in one spot. I will try and get you a more definitive answer.
Ok, great and thanks for the help! More information will become available once more people have the system in hand, I'm sure. I'm seriously thinking about just picking one up and installing it on my 500 heli, just to see how she works. I'm sure I could use the unit later in a scale build that would make good use of flying in the GPS atti mode for smooth scale flight.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
No, you wouldn't. I fly inverted and stunts all the time with my DJI 450 and 550 with the NAZA-M.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,767 Posts
Right, I can do that too, but my guess is that you are in Manual not ATTI or ATTI-GPS. P.S. I want to see you flying inverted. Not just while doing a flip but actually inverted. You cannot do it because you don't have variable pitch props.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,922 Posts
Santa came early and we have just finished shipping all of the NAZA-H units to our customers.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlav8r View Post
Santa came early and we have just finished shipping all of the NAZA-H units to our customers.
Gave you guys a call earlier today, got the confirmation and tracking number!
I'll have it by tomorrow morning!

I'm so ecstatic!!!