SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Discussion
On Building a Plane

When i saw this, i realized more than ever that building a plane is an amazing project. The larger planes of course require many more engineers to input all the complexities. And then the testing and re-engineering of components. For individuals to come up with what we have is amazing. I really enjoyed this video, and i am sure you will as well. Thinking of all who have been involved with various builds. And especially Joe Manor who seems to have started the building on a larger scale, and showed us how it is done.

Legends of Flight 飛行傳奇 (44 min 31 sec)
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Last edited by Indubitably; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
Liempde, Netherlands
Joined Jul 2007
150 Posts
I was intrigued by the topic description - aircraft development- , but after watching the video I see my view on commercial aircraft manufacturing technology confirmed: outdated, conventional and low-tech.
The main reason for this extremely slow development pace is, I guess, the fact that failure (breaking a wing, or even just getting a reputation of a somewhat higher failure risk) is just NOT allowed, not even a little bit.
Although this is understandable from a perspective of human safety and the power the media has to destroy a reputation (and the eagerness to do so), I don't understand why commercial aircraft developers are still viewed as a high-tech industry. I believe that in some ways, some commercial F3X designers and builders are more high-tech.
I think companies like Boeing and airbus do excell at things like: managing product lifecycle data, managing meticulous test programs (incl statistical techniques to analyze the data), organizing quality control, project-planning with thousands of sub-contactors, organizing funds/investments to keep the ball rolling etc. But those are hardly sexy topics for a (aero-)mechanical designer...
The film is just a balloon of hot air, suggesting that some very ground-breaking and out-of-the box things are done there, but if you really look at the content it is just a hollow company promo.
I remember a friend who got a university degree in aeronautical engineering, motivated by his love for designing and building innovative things that have something to do with flying, but was very disappointed when he expereinced how little design freedom there actually is in the industry of 'real' aircraft.
If you want to see high-tech, look for industries that have a high competition on performance criteria and a certain acceptance for failure (i.e. a willingness to take risks).
ron gijzen is offline Find More Posts by ron gijzen
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Nice Video John! Once again, another great find. Good to hear from you, still flying those awesome Jets? Hopefully we can see each other on the hill again soon.

Tony Vu
Tonyatrre is offline Find More Posts by Tonyatrre