HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2001, 02:17 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
More photos

Here is a link to more Jet Rally pics. It is a mixture of EDF, DF and turbines. I got some real nice pics of the XB -70 and the XB-47.

Dave Wenzlick
Mesa AZ

Jet Rally Photos
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2001, 06:53 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
dave: thanks for the pic's, i forgot to take one of mine........gregg
Old Nov 19, 2001, 09:39 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Nice picts!! You definitely had better weather than what we had up here in Reno.

What planes did EJF have at the event? Did the P 80 fly? Was the big A 10 with the 2 HW 750s there?

Wish I was able to attend. Oh well next year.

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Nov 19, 2001, 10:42 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,988 Posts
AZ Jet Rally

Robert was late getting there due to business. I had EJF A-10, F-86, and HE-162 (coming soon). There are pictures of the them above.
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Nov 20, 2001, 09:15 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,106 Posts
Dave had his Vampire in the air making bombing runs. He had to retire it due to sudden down elevator in flight and while taxing back in. Got a case of the real scareds and decided that on the ground is safer than in flight. My 117-N came off with low power and tried to navigate thru the trees. A new nose and we will be ready to go again. Both U-Who's and 16-XL's flew nicely. The San Diego guys put on a great show with their jets. With out the weight and/or drag of landing gear they get great performance.

We are planing and all electric fly in for next year at the Modelplex site here in Tucson.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Nov 20, 2001, 04:04 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,592 Posts
B-47

Tony Frakowiak was flying a B-47 built by his friend Ray Cannon.
It was powerd by pletenberg brushed motors on 20 cells, both Nicad 2400 and NiMH 3000. Also his Mig is the 15 model
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Nov 20, 2001, 08:17 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
I was getting disappointed with the performance of my Wattage F-22 EDF conversion, it just isn't flying like it was at first due to 4 ounces of tailweight, rotor damage (used Kyosho rotor from the T-33, has some fod damage and it's hurting performance), and some foam damage in front of the fan from an exploding rotor (it ate some rocks and went boom). I'll have to build another one to get the balance correct. I started thinking that maybe EDFs just can't perform well enough to do big vertical manouvers that I like to do.

Then I saw Steve Neu fly his Jepe F-16.

My confidence returned.

The think came off the bungee and climbed out at what seemed to be 40 degrees. He then started making passes and pulling into huge 100 foot loops, with lots of vertical authority, Cuban 8s wouldn't seem to be a problem. It showed me that on 14 cells and a good fan with full inlet and exhaust ducting, you can get good vertical performance and lots of speed.

Gregg's K&A Mig 15 flew nice also, a bit slower but still impressive, it made me want to work on mine.

Bob Ruff's F-86 wasn't as fast due to having fixed gear and only rudimentary inlet ducting (which is necessary with the small front inlet, plus he's gotta have cheater holes and the blow in doors to keep the HW730 fed with lots of air), but ROG was no problem, and the electric F-86 was probably faster by 10 mph or more than the Kyosho F-86. He was also taking it easy since his jet is EJF's demo model so you gotta go easy. He's since looped it. I bet the retract and Midi powered version will fly even better. More power to ya Bob!

Maybe it's the challenge of getting great performance that I like, but I wish at times it were easier.
Ed Waldrep is online now Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Nov 20, 2001, 10:39 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Dear Ed

MOney= Power MORe money= More POWER
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
Old Nov 21, 2001, 10:08 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Gbruce, yeah, you're right, but clever engineering and innovation and attention to the small details can help you extract the most performance out of a system. After I added a brushless motor to my stock T-33 and I was only 5 mph faster, then built a new forward fuselage with area ruled ducts and the plane was then 10 mph faster than stock, I realised how critical duct design was. You can add lots more power to a system but if the design is crappy you don't get as much performance increase as you could with better inlet design.

Some airplanes are better than others from an ease of EDF system integration, but unfortunately I fall in love with the airplane first and look at the other characteristics second.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 06:43 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Different thread?

Maybe this should be a separarte thread, but I'd like to hear more about the bungee situation.

I'm bungee challanged by my club; limited to one direction only!

Though, at the MARCEE event (different club in Twin Cities) set-up changed with flight direction.

At MARCEE thet put the bungee launch just beyond the windward flight station.

This allowed the pilot to step into this flight station after launch.

Seemed to work very well!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Nov 21, 2001, 09:14 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
jrb-

The host AZ outfit insisted that all the pilots stand together at the downwind end of the runway in order to communicate. The bungee had to go into the dirt adjoining the runway; the choices were to launch from the downwind end directly at the group of pilots , or parallel to the upwind end of the runway. We chose the latter which put the EDF pilot at the wrong end of runway from the other pilots. We talked the organizers into accepting a surrogate at the downwind end to communicate with the other pilots. The surrogate communicated with the EDF pilot's caller via hand signals. In retrospect, we should have brought walkie-talkies but it worked out OK in the end.

Steve Manganelli AKA Prof. Maneuver
Prof. Maneuver is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Maneuver
Old Nov 23, 2001, 10:41 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Gordon, I was required to wait for some deliveries Friday and Saturday morning. I didn't even bring the P-80 or 1/5 scale A-10 out for show and tell. I flew some of our other jets late Saturday and Sunday it was a fun weekend.

The Thursday before I flew a customers 1/5 scale Me-262 which was a real treat. He had Ivan fly it Friday as well with great viewing by all and unfortunately when he was charging for a second flight on Friday he tried charging one of the speed controls and... OUCH! more exists to that story however I'll leave that until later. ;o

I'm ready for the next jet rally for sure. If people are interested I can post some pictures.
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2001, 11:02 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Robert- I would really like to see some more pictures on the 1/5 scale A-10. I would also love to see a video clip with sound of those twin HW 750s run up. WOW has to neat

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Nov 23, 2001, 11:49 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Is this A-10 different than the Combat Models conversion? I haven't heard anything on this one, I assume it's either scratchbuilt or maybe from an old kit for GDF. I have an A-10 3 View on my wall, I glanced at it this morning, the Hog has a 57 foot wingspan. Huge!
Old Nov 24, 2001, 12:40 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,827 Posts
Robert why don't you post a picture of your twin HW-750 A-10 ... what was the wings span 96" ??? that thing is huge !
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser