HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Nov 2003
137 Posts
Discussion
Confused on Radio.... 6 ch or 7 ch or higher?

Confused on Radio 6 ch or 7 ch or higher?
Both web stores are selling the same plane, but one site is saying you need a 7ch or higher and the other website is saying you need a 6ch?
The plane has 11 servos, how could this be with a 6 ch radio?
Can you help me out on this one?
Thanks
Bobbart

Below are the two sites:

http://www.generalhobby.com/starmax-...8fcf9lp5g3vri7

http://www.bananahobby.com/f-86-sabr...5432-prd1.html
bobbart is offline Find More Posts by bobbart
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,341 Posts
Very easy, ailerons now often have separate servos (but only one channel). Same goes for flaps, and rudder+nose wheel steering. Many planes now have separate servos for each elevator. Throw in a vectored thust and the number of servos can go up by 2 or 3.Here is the list of normal channel numbering
CH1 ailerons
CH2 elevator
CH3 throttle
CH4 rudder+nose wheel steering
CH5 retractable landing gear
CH6 flaps
CH 7 auxiliary channel often used as a special function like bomb drop, lights or with mixing like nose wheel steering, flaperons, thrust vectoring etc
CH8 auxiliary channel (bomb drop, lights, special mixed channels like those listed above)

It sounds like you are very new to the RC flying hobby. If you plan to stay in it for a while, it will pay to buy a radio with more channels AND have memory for numerous different models.
Enjoy!
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,978 Posts
bobbart Apparently my advice on a radio in your "other" radio thread, " Need some help picking Radio, Battery and Charger " was no good?

I think the issue here, is that you had know idea what the cost of Quality radios are, and the prices scared the hell out of you! When they say RC plane, boat, car, etc the C stands for CONTROL! I don't know of many people, myself included that would want to fly with someone using a $40.00 radio flying a jet at 100MPH.

For what you say you want, you will need at least a 7 channel radio, 8 would be better. But it will cost you!

You need to kick back and start doing some serious research. Use the Search this Thread or Search this Forum. Because the planes you are looking at are foamys, start your searches there. http://www.rcgroups.com/foamy-edfs-377/ Chances are there may be a thread on it, with tons of info. See what they are using! Look at the attachment and see how they hook-up things.Read the build threads.

You are going to have to do lots of reading. All the guys here at RCG are most generous with there aquired knowledge, I know that from personal experience. But no one is going to spoon feed someone who doesn't make an effort to find the info himself.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
If you have some high geek points look at the tr9x and the frsky modules...

tr9x mcu is flash-able from USB, very stable distros for it and its' 75usd shipped from hobbypartz....16 models on tap and the rest saved to computer with er9x distro

frsky MCUs hop EXTREMELY fast (THIS IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT) not one instance of lockout in over 2yrs, 20usd each and have telemetry built in each rx and add ons for more functionality

Don't get a cpu or radio where you don't know the performance of the components
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2009
95 Posts
Just remember this... You get what you pay for and sometime less than what you pay for if you don't do enough research...
Low Hover is offline Find More Posts by Low Hover
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Ill vouch for the turnigy 9x. Had it over a year and not a single issue. Have flown about 8 different planes ,a 500 ,and 600 heli with no problems. I know many guys will point the finger at a cheap radio but ive also had jr,spektrum,and aurora 9.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Hover View Post
Just remember this... You get what you pay for ...
Not in this hobby, some of the most expensive stuff really does not put out relative to stuff that's half or even a quarter of cost.

It's always best to look at components and good to look at performance for the price...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Bobbart,

Based on your original question, I've figured out that you have misrepresented yourself as an experienced RC flyer. Plenty of people have offered you some great advice but if you want to keep looking for the cheapest RTF edf jets on the market, just buy one and try to fly it. When you crash it it will be a combination of the cheap quality and your lack of experience. Once you have crashed several hundreds of dollars worth of planes you'll either give up the hobby or start listening to the good advice people have offered you.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,978 Posts
Quote:
Just remember this... You get what you pay for and sometime less than what you pay for if you don't do enough research.. .
erh7771 Political season is over, you can use the full quote. Must keep it in context.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
95 Posts
Errh7771 I think u just confirmed my point......
Low Hover is offline Find More Posts by Low Hover
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:29 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
There needs to be a Beginner EDF forum.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Errh7771 I think u just confirmed my point......
True . Only read half of statement
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,762 Posts
I agree on the Turnigy 9X, and other same clones, series..... they are incredible value, and once upgraded to use FRsky RF module/RX they form a bullet proof system!! For approx $120 (Tx with one Rx)

But you also "MUST" (as in must for the ultimate result) do the firmware mod to use ER9X (or some Open9X system) because that then turns your $120 8 channel radio into having all the features (bar telemetry, sort of), and MORE, than ANY priced TX has.
With ER9X you can also run 16 channels, for a total cost of about $180.

If you do really want telemetry than it is best to use the FRsky DHT-U TX module, which has a data display on it. Or there are firmwares that send telemetry to the TX's LCD screen, IF you mod the TX to be able to do that.

You will need a bit of electronics nouse to optimise the T9X for all the above. Or get someone to help, or do it. I keep thinking I should build up and sell them ready to go... for something like $100 more than cost (labor time). Which is till sub $300 for an incredibly awesome RC system!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Nov 2003
137 Posts
Guys I really thank you for caring about me crashing the jet

Guys I really thank you for caring about me crashing the jet.
I not going to fly the jet until I know I,m ready...I just want to buy the Radio, Battery and chager so I can build it. I don,t have the knowledge on a 9 ch radio....
that,s why I am asking for help. I have flown a 3 ch prop plane...that was it.
Since this is my first duct fan, I just want to buy the correct items needed to fly the jet. but, again,,,i,m not going to fly the jet untill i have the experence to do so..
So right now all I am asking for is help with a decent Radio, Battery and charger.
I don't want to spend lots of money now until I get the Experence and then I will
buy the good stuff. So for now I looking for a 8 or 9 ch radio and rec, a charger that I can just plug the battery in....nothing expence and a battery.
I will get help leaning to fly the jet. so can you point me to some sites that have the radio, rec, battery and charger...please include item webpage.
I will also check out the Turnigy 9X. who sells the Turnigy 9X?
Again....thanks so much for your help, I promiss I will not fly the below jet.

This is the jet, the other store did not have...so I did order the jet from Bananahobby

http://www.bananahobby.com/f-86-sabr...5432-prd1.html

Bobbart
bobbart is offline Find More Posts by bobbart
Last edited by bobbart; Nov 22, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,978 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...z_Turnigy.html

Make sure that you read the reviews!!!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM.