HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2011
541 Posts
Question
Antenna suggestions sought

I am currently flying a Twinstar utlizing 5.8ghz Fatshark Predator goggles and an Immersion 600mw Tx. I am using ibcrazy cloverleaf antennas but get some typical static in open areas that I would like ellimnate as much as possible. I intend to move up to a diversity system with tracking later but we all know how expensive that is, (if you can even find the equipment right now). I'm looking for advice on a less expensive, temporary, option that would provide better reception ei: helical, flat panel, etc... For now I don't intend to fly beyond the range constraints of my DX8 but will some day, I'm just trying to feel as locked in as possible without breaking the bank just yet. I've watched the ibcrazy videos which offer great information and explanation but I just thought I'd seek others opinions.
nautique is online now Find More Posts by nautique
Last edited by nautique; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,106 Posts
Hey bud,

The receiver in the goggles is very average, my suggestion would be to ditch the immersion gear and get a skyRF separate Rx like the 305 from Foxtech/bevrc and a 400mw vid tx.
Don't waste your money on any more immersion/fatshark gear like duoRX until some of their new stuff comes out down the track.
This set up will give much much better results, you do not need a tracker to have success in FPV.

Maybe even consider a diversity Rx as then you can run your current SPWheel and add a helical or crosshair to later. Point the directional where you intent to fly the furthest distance and you're set, be aware that this set up will allow you to fly right out of 2.4 radio range and still have good video

Also it's not all about antennas.... consider that your wiring, video power system and component placement could need improving.

Chris.
NutBag is online now Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by NutBag; Nov 20, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Xtra info
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, OH, Akron
Joined Sep 2009
99 Posts
I used a similar setup. With a DX-8, and an AR8000 for RC and for video a set of dominators on 5.8 with a 600mw immersion. For antennas I used a blue beam Cloverleaf/SPW combo. With this combination the max range on my radio and my video system were about equal (1 mile avg., 6600ft. max), and it was a toss up for which would go out first. I tried a homemade 4-turn helical, but it doesn't help with reception inside of 4000 ft .

Just for clarification are you using a Cloverleaf/SPW combo or are you using two cloverleafs. If you are using two cloverleafs that could be your problem.
ih8nixon is offline Find More Posts by ih8nixon
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
541 Posts
I'm currently using a 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Whip Antenna Set direct from RMRC

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=550

but was thinking of trying a 3 turn, goggle mounted helical

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1089

Also considered a 5.8 GHz 10dBic Crosshair Antenna

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1132

I think I understand the difference with regard to range and beam width but just want to know what the experts are doing well with.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:09 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
I'm currently using the same blue beam whip set that you are (cloverleaf on video tx, SPW on video rx).

I'm using a 500mw 5.8ghz tx from hobby king, and i'm using a true 640x480 video goggle set from hobby king as well.

For the control tx, i'm using a DX8 boosted to 1W, and an AR8000 i think on the rx in the plane.

Right now with the blue beam set i get 500m range crystal clear. I had some issues when i had the video sharing a battery with the rest of the plane, but then i put it on a separate battery and it all cleared up. Whenever i revved up the throttle too high i would get a lot of interference in the video, but no longer.

I do have a helical antenna (from ibcrazy) but i haven't had to try it yet, because i haven't had the guts to go past 500m yet.

I did a ground to ground test a while back with my boosted DX8, and i verified at least 4km range ground to ground, so ground to air would be better.

On a side note, my boosted DX8 fries any 900mhz video signals closeby, which is why i moved up to 5.8ghz. It's completely unaffected by my DX8.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:50 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautique View Post
I'm currently using a 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Whip Antenna Set direct from RMRC

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=550

but was thinking of trying a 3 turn, goggle mounted helical

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1089

Also considered a 5.8 GHz 10dBic Crosshair Antenna

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1132

I think I understand the difference with regard to range and beam width but just want to know what the experts are doing well with.
The Crosshair is a bit much for a goggle mount. The 3 turn helical is much better in that regard. However, the receiver in the goggles leaves much to be desired as mentioned above. Changing to a better VRX and a Crosshair would be the best solution (albeit the most expensive too...).

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Got a question about antenna orientation. I have always been mounting my Blue Beam 5.8ghz Tx and Blue beam antenna in the vertical position pointing UP. Does it matter what orientation the antenna is in? Can it be horizontal or vertical DOWN?
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
As long as it is vertical, whether up or down, you are using it correctly. Laying it flat is not recommended.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Feb 2011
541 Posts
Ordered the 3one turn helical for goggle mount as suggested. Will work on a better Rx next.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Ordered the 3one turn helical for goggle mount as suggested. Will work on a better Rx next.
i popped out yesterday with my video goggles + the same antenna you just ordered, and got 1km range crystal clear video from an RC car in someone's trunk (so the rc car was surrounded by metal) - this was a test. The car just has my 200mw transmitter on it.

I also got out to 1km with the regular cloverleaf / skew planar wheel combo in my plane today, perfect video again, and using just the goggles. I got a little static, but as soon as i stopped looking up (and looked straight ahead) the video cleared right up, i'm still getting used to using goggles and keep having the tendency to look up, which of course screws up the reception.

i'm using hobby king video goggles + HK 500mw transmitter on 5.8ghz on the plane, 200mw transmitter on the rc car
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Feb 2011
541 Posts
I've found over the weekend that part of the problem has been my head position. I have a tendency to let my head droop while flying. Why? I have no idea Once I got that straightened out it helped. Next is to utilize my external Rx and feed to the goggles. I never knew the goggle Rx's were not that great.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:49 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
I've found over the weekend that part of the problem has been my head position. I have a tendency to let my head droop while flying. Why? I have no idea Once I got that straightened out it helped. Next is to utilize my external Rx and feed to the goggles. I never knew the goggle Rx's were not that great.
I have the same problem, except i keep looking up!
RCG Plus Member