HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
544 Posts
Question
Cox .049 Sound Level

Anyone have an idea what the sound level of a Cox .049 would be, reed valve to TD? I'm planning on scratch building several of the models popular when I got into RC years ago and am toying with the idea of doing at least one of them with a period engine. Most will certainly be electric but I still have a fondness for the buzzy little buggers, despite their shortcomings.

Problem is I fly at a field that has a strict 94dB limit. I recently sold my big one, a 1/3 scale 50cc Sig Spacewalker, partly because it was just too much of a hassle hauling it around, but mainly because it was too loud. It was checked at 100dB so it was WAY over the limit and I didn't want to mess around with trying to make it quiet enough to fly there.

I have a fairly large collection of Cox engines from the TD .010 all the way up to TD and Medallion .15's. I have a few different mufflers for the .049's but as I recall from a few years ago they don't make a tremendous difference.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,465 Posts
I think my TD .049 measured around 90 db at 15 ft. A B Bee would be less. There are free APP's for db meters if you have a cell phone. Someone at the field will usually have one if you don't. There are mufflers available too, but they suck power. I think the .15 will go way over without a muffler. Props make a difference too. A 5-3 will be louder than a 7-3.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2006
544 Posts
The spec is 94dB @ 9 feet. I'll probably have to check it out for myself to be sure. I believe our sound level meter is kept locked up at the field and if not I'll have to check out the App. I'd rather not end up going to all the trouble to put something together with a Cox engine on it only to have to swap it out for electric after the fact. Especially since I don't need to worry about a fuel proof finish for electric. I live in an apartment so working with noxious solvent based paint is a problem.

Yeah, I would imagine the .15 or even .09 would be way more than an .049 and I am aware that mufllers don't work well at all on any engine using sub induction so that leaves out the possibility of a muffled TD.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,071 Posts
I found that the rotating throttle sleeve type throttle make a genuine noise difference, on a reedy at least. Mufflers do work.. some.. just that they reduce power so many find that unacceptable Don't be forgetting that Nitro content increases noise significantly as well.
Try a Cox on No Nitro fuel for a noise surprise. The grating scream isn't there, v nice. Add a muffler and noise is no longer an issue.
But power is down somewhat. Less than I had once thought it would be, but still reduced..
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
277 Posts
Holy cow, I may be missing the boat, but a TD 051 turning 21,000 rpms is deafening. Have a hard time thinking it would make the DB limit????? I have never put a meter on one, but I have not heard any other motors with mufflers louder and I have heard of them not passing the DB limit. Good luck and please let us know what you find out. Get rpms as well.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Just a guess, 108db at 9ft.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2006
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Don't be forgetting that Nitro content increases noise significantly as well.
Try a Cox on No Nitro fuel for a noise surprise. The grating scream isn't there, v nice. Add a muffler and noise is no longer an issue.
But power is down somewhat. Less than I had once thought it would be, but still reduced..
Yes I am aware that nitro does make an engine louder. The problem I see is if I were to run low or no nitro, especially if combined with a muffler, will greatly reduce the power level. Plus low/no nitro often makes for a tricky to set needle, especially on the small Cox engines.

I'll probably just say to heck with it and just go with electric. I'm thinking about doing some glow free flight. There's a nearby club that flies free flight, the Bong Eagles. One of the sites they fly at is Bong Recreation Area and there noise shouldn't be a problem. I fly High Power rockets there and they're loud!

Mike
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:02 AM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
I think the TD 049/051 is the loudest of them all as I have run a TD 15 special MkII and it did not seem as loud as the TD 049 pulling 20k on a cox grey 5x3 prop. I think pitch has everything to do with it being louder.

The Cox geared twin Golden Bee I have has some bark to it.

Cox Geared Twin using Golden Bees (2 min 28 sec)
Jason_WI is online now Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Apr 2004
133 Posts
Hi,

We have the same problem here, still looking for a cox dragonfly to measure and confirm that its legal to fly here. ( below 94db @ 3 meter )

I'm going to test run and measure thrust, rpm and sound level etc, for killer bee (donated from a nice gentleman ) . still waiting for the parcel to arrive here. I will post it on my coming web page soon, will share with you all later.
tru168 is offline Find More Posts by tru168
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,611 Posts
I've read that the .049's are actually quieter than the larger engines, but the pitch generated by the higher RPM's leaves the impression that they're louder.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
I've read that the .049's are actually quieter than the larger engines, but the pitch generated by the higher RPM's leaves the impression that they're louder.
EDIT: (I stand corrected) High pitch sound travels a shorter distance.

Is there any freeware pitch meter for a desktop PC?
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Changed incorrect statement
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:02 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
992 Posts
Large gas engines are the worst in the air I think. I sure can't hear my own (1/2a) engines when they are up. I think lower frequencies travel further, while a cox engine has a more annoying sound that only a mother can love...

There are other engines that have mufflers and a far more quiet than a cox engine. The TT07GP for instance has a proper muffler and is fairly quiet in its stock version.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Apr 2004
133 Posts
Yes, lower frequency means longer wavelength, and travel further. Elephants can communicate miles away using sub- sonic lower frequency. We fly 1/2A planes not far away as bigger planes do, thats why cox engine has a more annoying sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
Large gas engines are the worst in the air I think. I sure can't hear my own (1/2a) engines when they are up. I think lower frequencies travel further, while a cox engine has a more annoying sound that only a mother can love...

There are other engines that have mufflers and a far more quiet than a cox engine. The TT07GP for instance has a proper muffler and is fairly quiet in its stock version.
tru168 is offline Find More Posts by tru168
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts

Quote(The Cox geared twin Golden Bee I have has some bark to it.)

Thats MUSIC to my ears!!!......Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
The nice thing about the small planes is that they don't HAVE to be flown at the club field. I think you should make at least one of your planes with a 1/2a. I recently completed a .010 Pageboy and the wow factor at the field was impressive. Now I have a Guillow's 27" Zero (new laser cut version) that is going to get a TD .020. I just love the sound of these small motors.

Tim
TimWirtz1014 is offline Find More Posts by TimWirtz1014