HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Just made my commitment for this plane. I have always loved the classic lines of the Chipmunk. My progress will probably be slow, so I hope others will post their progress via the build thread.
MadDogger is offline Find More Posts by MadDogger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:13 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,317 Posts
MD,

You won't be the only slow one. Four kids, a wife and work always get in the way of building and flying time.

Good idea. Let's all post our progress on this one thread and share ideas. Cool!

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:31 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
Done!
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:32 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,317 Posts
David just sent me some photos of laser cutting he had done on his DB40. I am posting them to show the quality of David's CAD work and the work of his laser cutter.

I can't wait for David to tell me that wood is burning for the Super Chipmunk 120s!!!!

Doug
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:08 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
That looks like some pretty nifty design work! Who did it?

Chipmunk cutting next in line...

David
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Note how David burned the thust line into the top block...... that would be way cool for a Deception both lateral and vertical lines.... Though every version.... I keep stretchin and wigglin the stab height around... I would need to finally come to my senses and commit to a location.
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:13 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,317 Posts
Ok guys......Time to put up or shut up....

We have 10 orders with deposits paid at this time. (8 plus David and me) Frankly, I am surprised (but happy) by this level on interest.

I'm going to shut this off on Sunday at midnight PST. After that, my kitting days area over. So if you are on the fence, get off! I will not take any orders after that and we will not be doing this again.

Thanks to all those who have expressed interest and those who have bought their place in line. Time to cut cores and burn wood!

Doug
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:31 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
Frankly, I am surprised (but happy) by this level on interest.
Doug,

I'm not.

It's due to the Californian strong arm tactics in making cardinal decisions on design approach! The model is so much better for it!

Quote:
I'm going to shut this off on Sunday at midnight PST. After that, my kitting days area over. So if you are on the fence, get off! I will not take any orders after that and we will not be doing this again.
Yikes!

And my wife and I were talking about buying a house from you...

Quote:
Thanks to all those who have expressed interest and those who have bought their place in line. Time to cut cores and burn wood!

Doug
Yes indeed - thanks to all for your interest and your vote of confidence in my scribble line and circle work. It's not quite but almost akin to Michelangelo's work in the Systene Chapel.

I hear that someone has to dive into mounds of foam in order to find their bed... sufficient to float the Titanic I'm told! Then again, Standard Pacific Homes takes care of their own after that. Right?

I think I've exhausted all the smiley faces...

David
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:03 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post

It's due to the Californian strong arm tactics in making cardinal decisions on design approach! The model is so much better for it!
David,

There is a lot of history in that one. Here is a picture of me and Kevin about 40 years ago. (I'm the one on top of course)

Maybe you will understand us better now!

Doug
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:25 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
He, he...
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:21 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Yes, that pic is acurate...... Doug is always strong arming his way to shiny paint. It shows how little our relationship has changed.
As in the pic Doug does most of his work with a bandanna over his eyes... in fact he flies with one on his face now. Hence the reason we all hide under our cars when he takes off.

If Standard Pacific took care of their own, all the cores for the Chipmunk would be coming sheeted and ready for glass.

But since they have failed miserably I am stuck showering with blocks of foam.
If you able to get that house from him, get a third story apartment for me...... and my foam.

I guess I can always keep warm with the heavy horsepower I will be generating soon. I doubt the motor wont cool off for 3 days after flying.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:16 PM
AMA MEMBER
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2010
397 Posts
OK guys the Cowl mold has been made today. Cowls will start being made tomorrow.

rcaiir@gmail.com
frequentflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by frequentflyer1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:49 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Chipmunk foam comenced.....

1st set off the wire. The wings are as advertized no LE block radius cut like the Deception pics that are circulating.
The fin and stab were wat too abitious. Per drawing, I blocked off for 1/4" stock and sand.
More to come tomorrow.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:22 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,317 Posts
The window is officially closed.

Final score - 9 Super Chipmunks (including one for me and one for David) will be kitted and hopefully built.

I think I might have said 10 in a previous post, I was confused because we are making an extra canopy and cowl for Bo.

The coolest thing so far is that I got a PM from a guy that I flew pattern with 25 years ago and have heard or seen from him since. He saw this thread and jumped in a ordered. He does not live too far from my home so we will be able to build and fly together.

Thanks RCG!

Doug
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:27 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,317 Posts
UPDATE

* The Canopies have arrived

* Four of the 10 Cowls are complete with Don working on the rest

* The Foam will be done this week

I will be shipping one of each of my side to David ASAP so that he can confirm that all the parts properly mate with his prototype in Canada. He expects to be able to have all the Laser Cut parts before the end of March and expected.

Also, David and I have agreed that once the laser cut parts are ready he will send the all of the kits (except his) to me. That way I can box together with the Cali parts and hopefully keep the shipping costs down for everybody.

Ya Hoooo.....

Doug