SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:57 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 Posts
Progress is being made in the background. The canopy mold is done and we have the first pulls (Doug will upload some pics). The foam work is scheduled for the end of the month now as it was hard to get it done during the holidays. The cowl mold should also hopefully be made this month.

My cutter will be sending me a prototype kit cut on Monday (or so he says). However this is for a different model which will serve as a wood and cut QC check. If all looks good, we will cut the first Chippy kit and insure everything plays nicely together.

Happy New Year to all!

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
With regards to the great Art Scholl's Super Chipmunk you guys have to figure out some rearward retracting gear. Not rotated, but straight back with the dangley bits covered with cuff fairings. That would be too cool!
Eric
I thought I saw a way to do a rotating retract using regular air retracts for those willing to try it. I had to go through my old RCM "For What its Worth" collection and found this method in Volumn IV.

Pretty ingenuis althouth the fulcrum would be sticking out.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 Posts
Bryan,

thanks for the info. We've decided to stick to standard rotation retracts for the Chippy as it's intended to be more of a pattern bird than a semi-scale bird but I'm interested in doing a Zlin one day so I may just use this approach for the retracts on it.

David
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Back from Vegas and should sober up enough in the next 48 hours to push the go button on the cores for you guys.
Expect something this week.

Kevin G.
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,306 Posts
Update

So Christmas and all the family obligations that go with it are over. Now it's time to get back to this project.

CORES: As you see from above the cores will get started soon.

COWL: I have dropped the cowl (if you can call it) that to Don at RC Air for reproduction. It is a simple piece but we wanted it done right so I drove to Don's house last week. I was in the area for business and it is always an adventure workig through Don's shop. It is a Classic Pattern orga$m!! Anyways, Don will be done with mold and the first few pieces in a couple of weeks.

CANOPY: The original canopy was sent to Park Flyer Plastics a few weeks ago and Keith made a mold and then sent me the original back as well as two samples. He made me a 0.030 and 0.040 sample. The original MK canopy was a bit thicker and weighs 110 grams. The 0.040 canopy weighs 90 grams and the 0.030 canopy weighs 60 grams. The 0.040 canopy is noticably sturdier than the 0.030. David and I have chosen to go with the 0.040.

This project continues to excite me. I have been following SpeedRacer's Dalotal build over on RCU with interest beacuse these planes will be similar in style. However, he will be powering his with a Rossi. I hope to meet him and see his plane in person when go to the Bakersfield contest later this year. His build thread has fanned my fire on this project.

Until next time......

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:18 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
It is a Classic Pattern orga$m!!

Doug
I have one of those every time I push the throttle forward...........and click the GEAR switch UP!!!!

-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:16 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 Posts
Kevin, Doug, thread followers,

excellent news! I look forward to the pieces coming together.

For my part I'm happy to report that the first trial laser kit from my new cutter arrived today and the quality of cut is excellent. The wood, except for one 3/8" sheet, I would say, is good as far as weight goes. The 3/32 and 1/8 stock is very good. The thicker 1/4 and little 3/8 stock could perhaps use a little more "selection" but all in all I'd say more than acceptable. The good news is that the Chippy has more lite ply than just about anything else, particularly now that we have gone to foam decks. It will come down to asking for a little attention when selecting the 3/16 fuse sides which in all honesty, ought to be "medium" balsa so it won't be too dramatic if they are a little more resilient than super light.

I started to work on a digital trim scheme mostly with Kevin's excellent vinyl trim approach in mind. I started with the MK box scheme which is a variation on the Scholl scheme. Once I have the elements properly sorted in CAD, it should be reasonably easy to vary the colour scheme to see how things look. I should also be able to make small modifications without too much work to also alter the scheme to some extent.

I have to finish the fuse side view as can be seen below.

Enjoy!

David

PS I'm going to have to say it again - this is one beautiful scale aerobatic bird!
Last edited by doxilia; Jan 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,042 Posts
that is gorgeous!!!!
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:29 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
David,
The cool part is that file can be used as a mask as well for the boys that demand a clear coat finish. Since the whole plane is "all digital" it will scale perfectly.
That is epic !
NOW you have me excited, almost as much as my short stroke 60.....

It will be quite the kit, I think your files will add more value than the pieces that we are putting together here in SoCal.

I have a "House of Kolor" Metallic Blue that will really blow that thing up.

Should have cores at the weekend.

Kg
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:29 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2035 View Post
David,
The cool part is that file can be used as a mask as well for the boys that demand a clear coat finish. Since the whole plane is "all digital" it will scale perfectly.
That is epic !
Yup! I thought you wouldn't mind my first stab at digital vinyl masking...

I tend to put two views (too lazy to do 3-views) at 50% scale as there is no reason to have it at full scale. In this case, though, I'm going to bring it back up to 100% as I'm drawing striping tape on the sucker and I got tired of having to divide by two all the time. I'll be sticking to 1/8" and 1/4" striping tape for convenience.

What I don't get though, is what the mask has to do with the clear coat? Do you typically clear the vinyl masking? If so, how does the mask file help? Don't you just shoot the entire model?

Quote:
NOW you have me excited, almost as much as my short stroke 60.....

Quote:
It will be quite the kit, I think your files will add more value than the pieces that we are putting together here in SoCal.

I have a "House of Kolor" Metallic Blue that will really blow that thing up.
Thanks for the encouragement. I got a little lazy with it and didn't finish the side view. I'll get to it while parts are being produced (the fuse kit likely).

Metallic blue is also what I was thinking of - just trickier to do in digital than in paint... The only problem now is that I can see having to fly down to SoCal with unfinished plane in hand...

Quote:
Should have cores at the weekend.

Kg
Outstanding!

David
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
The only problem now is that I can see having to fly down to SoCal with unfinished plane in hand... David
Don't get any ideas DAVID!!!

I am first in line!

Of course, yours will likely be done months before mine so I suppose I am safe.

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Look at Doug always achoring his spot in the paint shop... which currently for the first time since 1984 doesnt exist !

The mask would signify the paint process versus doing it in colored vinyl.
It would be easy thought to paint or cover all in white then just add the color with vinyl.
Dont hold yourself to 1/4 or 1/8 " fractional......I now cut all my striping and slight tapers on the machine then put em on. .10 to .28 @ 1 meter is one of my favorite stripes.

A fake carbon fiber stripe behind that blue on the wing would be dramatic.
The best is, when you stay on the mouse and vector, there is no guessing from start to finish.

Dont forget to draw a servo tray uncut.... xtra long, for mounting receiver flight battery ect. No reason to stop now !

I'll come there... better steaks and women !

Kg
Last edited by Kevin2035; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:11 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:04 AM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Progress is being made in the background. The canopy mold is done and we have the first pulls (Doug will upload some pics). The foam work is scheduled for the end of the month now as it was hard to get it done during the holidays. The cowl mold should also hopefully be made this month.

My cutter will be sending me a prototype kit cut on Monday (or so he says). However this is for a different model which will serve as a wood and cut QC check. If all looks good, we will cut the first Chippy kit and insure everything plays nicely together.

Happy New Year to all!

David
If by chance there's room for one more on the list David, please consider putting me in for one. If not, but someone should decide not to take theirs, consider sliding me in that spot (but not ahead of the others on the list). I should've jumped in when you opened the idea of doing this, I resisted because the shelves are finally as full of kits as they were in 1980! However, all the talk and pics of this gorgeous lady are giving me the so-called classic orga$m and I can no longer resist!
Here's an off topic nostalgic piece; my bro gave me a Goldberg Skylane 62 for Christmas (yep, he's a rare bro indeed). Talk about getting the giggles while setting it up and building the wing, what a trip ...!
Mark
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:27 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57 View Post
If by chance there's room for one more on the list David, please consider putting me in for one.
Mark, I'm glad you have come to your senses and have come to appreciate what is being done here!

I guess our so called limited run won't be so limited after all... Wait til you see Kevin's cores - nothing quite like it!

Quote:
However, all the talk and pics of this gorgeous lady are giving me the so-called classic orga$m and I can no longer resist!

Mark
What!? This club is starting to go Eyes Wide Shut!

David
Last edited by doxilia; Jan 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM.