SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by nese, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 2F180 Project: 4-Ch FBL FP Heli

This is my long-overdue Walkera 2F180 project, which is essentially a 2-bladed version of the Walkera 4F180 fixed pitch, 4-channel flybarless heli with some other modifications:

1. Turnigy Plush esc x 1
2. T-rex 250 tail blades x 3
3. HXT-500 5g servos x 2
4. T-rex 250 ball and ball links (on servo arms) x 2
5. 4F200 main blade grips x 2
6. 4F200 main blades x 2
7. 21mm (ground down from original) pitch link rods x 2

The rest of the parts are stock and here are some photos:
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
Some notes on the 2F180 project:

1. The broader main blades allow provide a greater translational lift which have so far appeared to have extended flight times.

2. The pitch link rods being reduced to 21.0mm each allow the length of the entire rod (together with links) to be about 34.5-34.6mm (outer edge of ball link to outer edge of ball link) to provide that 8.5-9.0 degrees of pitch which allows a hover at mid stick.

3. The shorter tail blades of the t-rex 250 provide less thurst than the stock 4F180 tail blades but is more than sufficient to counter the reduced anti-clockwise moment of the 2 blades (instead of 4 in the original 4F180) and to make sudden changes in the direction of the nose when in a hover. Also it provides more ground clearance of about an inch.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:37 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
your 2 blade mod looks intersting, how does the heli handle compared to a V200D01?

Is there and pitch up when flying straight into winds above 5mph.
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
Hi Laidback_racer. This model's been in storage for quite a while now but as I remember it, as with the 4F180 this flies comparatively better (more stable) in the wind than the V200D01, without the pitch up.

The handling (cyclic) could be better but that would be probably because the HXTs are not as strong and fast as the stock V200D01's to execute turns and banks as nicely as the V200D01. May swap them out to original servos if I can get my hands on some

Otherwise I still like this little flybarless torque tube build
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:20 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Hi Laidback_racer. This model's been in storage for quite a while now but as I remember it, as with the 4F180 this flies comparatively better (more stable) in the wind than the V200D01, without the pitch up.

The handling (cyclic) could be better but that would be probably because the HXTs are not as strong and fast as the stock V200D01's to execute turns and banks as nicely as the V200D01. May swap them out to original servos if I can get my hands on some

Otherwise I still like this little flybarless torque tube build
Hi, you have inspired me to build something similar from my poorly performing V200D01. I already have some HXT-500's but have some Ufly digital servos on the way which should fit straight in hopefully and provide a better option.

I am fitting a V200D03 head and fixing the swash with tubes above and below. I also have a 4800kv brushless motor and zyx-s 3axis gyro fitted along with a 6ch rx and Devo7.

The battery will be mounted like a trex 250 and I will be reducing the head height by about 8-10mm, hopefully it should be a bit of a beast.

I will post some pics here soon....
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
Sounds like a cool plan. Keep an eye on the weight as I think maybe you'd notice that of the zyx-s plus rx and wires.

Good move on the digital servos as I too will swap out the HXTs at the next chance with stock servos from another extinct Walkera heli that I have.

Also I'm thinking that with a higher achievable headspeed from the motor you can afford a lower pitch of about 7-8 degrees which I think may be more stable in the wind. With the 2F180 project I have bout 9 degrees of pitch - a figure I took off the 4F180 model.

Good luck on your project and here's looking forward to seeing the project realized. That one's gonna be an accomplishment when you get it flying.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:53 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Yes the weight is a consideration, I have built other projects where it got out of hand. My high performane 9116 hybrid at first attempt was over 300g, but now is at 235g.

The new gyro/rx package would add around 10-15g, but the motor upgrade offers some letout. Along with the extra horsepower which should help, we have found that the 4800kv motor can work with a Turnigy 12A ESC with both running very cool, this ESC is very light and programmable and only costs $10 so I will probably upgrade if the package turns out nice. Overall I think I can maintain the same weight so your suggestion of lowered pitch sounds great and should improve performance and put less strain on the motor and electrics.

Hopefully this project has some good potential, I wouldnt do it if I hadnt picked up the V200D01 so cheap but I also have plans to finally upgrade it to full 6 ch up the track if necessary. It looks like I can drop in a cheap Airwolf frame part and add an extra servo and new swash and I am there. The Devo7 tx does the rest.
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Aug 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
Nice one with the 9116! If you do this with 4-ch helis you'll have a lifetime of projects with 6-ch helis. But y'know it's nice to have completed a project and have a heli to call your own
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts

Some of the bits are in, but still waiting on the V200D03 head, Master cp blades, V200D03 servo's (wk-0902h) and upgraded digital metal tail servo.

Devo rx installed along with zyx-s gyro and all functioning.

The 4800kv BL motor has a lot more grunt.
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Aug 20, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:19 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts

Head fitted and waiting on the digital servo's. The Walkera servo's planned are out of stock, so I have some HK digital equivalents on the way.

The fun begins soon.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
Looking good indeed with the head and blades from the cousins. With the added weight those blades better be spinning fast!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:39 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Looking good indeed with the head and blades from the cousins. With the added weight those blades better be spinning fast!
I have spun it up for the first time, trying different pitches etc. I am finding the 2 blade tail does not have enough thrust to counter the extra force generated by the cp blades.

I will most likely order a 3 blade setup and try again. The head speed is very good so hopefully the project will eventually get there.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
926 Posts
From what I understand you are saying the counter-moment created from spinning the mass of the master CP blades is too high to be countered by the thrust from the tail.

I'm thinking that besides the 3-blade setup there'd be a couple of other options:

- Increase the gear ratio for the tail - but scouting for suitable gears and modifications will take an immense amount of time and effort - I'd pass on this one myself

- Use lighter blades - there are foam type blades for that you could find on ebay or aliexpress for the 4f200.

I'd also try to:
- find or set the softest start and disable any brake on the esc (if available)
- Check the total gain on the zyx gyro
- work the pitch up from 6 deg and increase to 9 deg on the main rotor