HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE WON View Post
sonicliner, those two planes are beautiful, truly collectors items. does anyone have an original fun jet nib they would want to sell. i would really like to do another one of those. if anyone has one please pm me. thanks, walt
Thanks !.

Yes they have been around for nearly a decade.

Pete
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Do you know what a rhetorical fallacy is, Jurgen?
MTGTX; I'd like to ask..."Do you know what a dead horse is?"
I was following an other SL thread & stumbled in here tonight.
The simple truth,regardless of the SL's performance envelop,whether real or imagined, is that it Is a sales flop and MPX,not being driven by emotion re: the SL,canned it. Period. All other factors withstanding.
It didn't sell adequately so It was removed from the product line.
This can happen to borderline (low volume but consistant) product as well when a tooling part wears out and the replacement/repair cost is not offset by sales.
That obviously strikes an emotional nerve with you GTX,as evidenced by your replies to Jurgen's comments (no,I'm not sticking up for Jurgen,he needs no support from me in these forums).
Yes I would like to have one.
Yes I would like to fly one in a high power non-scale manner.
Yes I think they look cool.
Yes I think a SL would be Awesome with twin mini-turbines.
No I don't want to pay shipping for a SL kit these days.
No I don't want to lug that beast around to the flying site(s) I visit.My 3.6m DG-600 would be easier to haul.
No my agitated emotional connection to this toy aircraft will not influence a manufacturer to loose money to produce or re-produce the MPX Sonic Liner.
As I can see there are 2 choices.Wait/hunt one down for purchase or make one yourself.
Skies (soaring off to the whine of a twin e-powered model)
Jay
P.S. Never heard of the Walkera SL clone until this thread.Considering how I 'studied' the RC market back in those days I would venture that it was never commercially released.
AB1 over & out.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:00 AM View Post
MRGTX
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while MRGTX edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Let's get a couple of things straight:

1.) This is a discussion forum. We're allowed to talk about any plane we want, we're allowed to fantasize about any reissue/clone we want, even without a business model!

2.) Jay, please read post number 1. Nobody is under the impression that MPX ever would consider putting the plane back into production. Thanks.

3.) Jurgen Helig has a reputation for this behavior in threads in this particular section of RCGroups, usually about MPX planes. I know that he's a talented, knowledgeable modeler but he doesn't know everything and apparently has no sense of tact. Most people who I know personally apparently just laugh it off and enjoy watching the arrogance and rudeness. Unfortunately, when I'm addressed personally, Jay, I will generally respond which is usually a mistake.

4.) Nobody here, as far as I know, has sales data on the Sonic Liner. Even if they did, it would be from a long-gone era in this hobby. Conditions are genuinely different now in the world of electric RC planes and it makes this model worth reconsidering in a new light.

5.) There is now a secondary market for clones of Multiplex planes. Quite a few planes so far have been cloned successfully. Easystar, Easy Glider, Funjet, etc. The initial investment in producing these kits is vastly lower since MPX did the expensive engineering and development. It's entirely likely that HK could be profitable with the Sonic Liner clone.

6.) Before anyone points out that HK is only offering clones of "popular" MPX models, please note that the Merlin and the Xeno (with the addition of an EDF!) have been cloned. These models were "modern" sales flops as far as I can tell.

Basically, I don't claim to know more about the industry than anyone else here. I do know from talking to my friends and hanging around the forums that this plane has a loyal following and our reasons for drooling over this plane are valid.

The Sonic Liner was a big, beautiful, semi-scale model of an interesting concept. To many of us, It's automatically desirable because it's a Multiplex plane... It was cool because it was a pusher/canard model, it was even cooler because it was a twin. It's a desirable kit on its own merits! It came and went long before many of us were able/ready to own and fly one and it came during a time when most were not able/willing to upgrade to more entertaining power system

I'd love to see this cloned, regardless of whether or not it ever happens.
very well put MRGTX
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
3.) Jurgen Helig has a reputation for this behavior in threads in this particular section of RCGroups, usually about MPX planes. I know that he's a talented, knowledgeable modeler but he doesn't know everything and apparently has no sense of tact. Most people who I know personally apparently just laugh it off and enjoy watching the arrogance and rudeness. Unfortunately, when I'm addressed personally, Jay, I will generally respond which is usually a mistake.
I could consider this a personal attack, but for someone who can't even get my name right, I'll let it go.

Please be aware that English is not my mother tongue language. Obviously you interpret short factual information with arrogance and rudeness.

I have provided hundreds of people with valuable information in this forum - you included (just look back in some other threads).

You blamed me for reporting you to a moderator, which I did not. You may ask yourself, why you have been reported and why a moderator deemed it necessary to give you a warning.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
6.) Before anyone points out that HK is only offering clones of "popular" MPX models, please note that the Merlin and the Xeno (with the addition of an EDF!) have been cloned. These models were "modern" sales flops as far as I can tell.
You just admitted, that you have no sales data.

What makes you think, that Merlin and Xeno are sales flops?

Jürgen
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
I know that he's a talented, knowledgeable modeler but he doesn't know everything ...
Nobody knows everything, but instead of being rude, I went "the extra mile" and contacted Multiplex and Walkera to get further information.

Jürgen
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:02 PM View Post
yellowcolorado
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while yellowcolorado edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
i dont think he is being rude, i think that this is his demeanor. he has been very helpful to me in many different threads dealing with multiplex planes. in this thread and others, he seems to be speaking for multiplex. jurgen, what is your affilation with this company?
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I could consider this a personal attack, but for someone who can't even get my name right, I'll let it go.

Please be aware that English is not my mother tongue language. Obviously you interpret short factual information with arrogance and rudeness.

I have provided hundreds of people with valuable information in this forum - you included (just look back in some other threads).

You blamed me for reporting you to a moderator, which I did not. You may ask yourself, why you have been reported and why a moderator deemed it necessary to give you a warning.

Jürgen
It's very hard to believe that your input in this thread was innocent and merely a symptom of cultural ignorance....but we can go with that if it's the explanation you prefer.

Quote:

Jürgen
Were they not? Call Multiplex and ask them.

I gathered that they were from what I have read on this forum. I happily bought a Merlin when it was first released and paid an additional $110 USD for the undwerwhelming power system...but it appears that not many others were willing to take that bait and I understand why. It was a nice plane but not a good value. The Merlin kits were on clearance recently and unless I'm mistaken, may be out of production.

The Xeno seems to have suffered a similar fate. The unique and interesting power system was too costly to make the model appealing. Like the Merlin, it was not easily set up with a more affordable with motors from a different brand. I don't even know anyone if the three clubs that I fly with (my own and two neighboring groups) who has seen one outside of the hobby shop.

Quote:
Nobody knows everything, but instead of being rude, I went "the extra mile" and contacted Multiplex and Walkera to get further information.

Jürgen
This might be the first thing you have done "instead of being rude" so I suppose this is a moment worth noting.

However, there is nothing that you might learn from Multiplex nor Walkera that would address the topic of this discussion (unless you were asking Walkera to put their clone into production...har har).

Sadly, it's more likely that you merely contacted them to attempt to find information that might bolster your own point, despite the fact that your points have been irrelevant to the topic.

What did you learn from them?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Last edited by MRGTX; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE WON View Post
i dont think he is being rude, i think that this is his demeanor. he has been very helpful to me in many different threads dealing with multiplex planes. in this thread and others, he seems to be speaking for multiplex. jurgen, what is your affilation with this company?
I suspect that if he is on the Multiplex payroll, they would be very interested to see how he conducts himself in these discussions.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Quote:

Jürgen
See below, re: Merlin

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1349

No idea how it's doing elsewhere though.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Yellowcolorado,
It looks like the $4.95/month for the "plus" membership has some perks, eh?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
My comment above has been blocked because it has been considered a personal attack. Thank you for helping make my point jurgen.

Whoever the moderator is seriously way too sensative.
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
I suspect that if he is on the Multiplex payroll, they would be very interested to see how he conducts himself in these discussions.
As you have looked up my profile, you should know better :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3255

Jürgen