SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Hmmmm ... actually the thread is pointless. Like other threads before it, trying to goad MPX or Chinese companies into making something for the American market, this attempt like others will fail.

Nothing personal, but you are pleading your case in the wrong place. You would be better off contacting HK or others and presenting your business case. You do have a business case?

As for the power RECOMMENDATION mentioned by Heer. That would be true of any aircraft. Power needs for Oklahoma City are different than the vally I live in. You always adjust for the conditions. The original plane as delivered by MPX had sufficient power.
Welcome to RC Groups! Thank you for your friendly and valuable input. You're very new here so I'm not sure how you know about the failure of past threads of this type.

I'm also not clear on why you insist that we shouldn't bother but it sounds like you're personally offended by the idea of it. Perhaps you're just having a bad day!

I'm currently attempting to see if there is interest in this model. If there proves to be interest, I will likely contact folks at Hobby King and FMS. I don't have contacts elsewhere so I asked in the first post which companies might be worth asking.

Again, I recognize that the odds are slim that anyone will take this project on but it's a discussion forum and it's a topic worthy of discussion, I believe.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, the Boeing Sonic Cruiser was not supposed to fly "super sonic", just 10 to 15% faster than regular airliners.

Let's have a look at the scale. The Boeing Sonic Cruiser is approx. 73m long, the MPX model is 1.3m long, i.e. the scale is approx. 1:56.

Let's assume the Original flies at a top speed of Mach 0.98, that's about 650mph at cruise altitude. Scale speed = 650mph/56 = 11.6mph. I think you can easily achieve this with two Speed 400 - with some throttle management.

Jürgen
Are you being serious with this argument? If so, I suspect you are completely out of touch with this hobby.

Otherwise, you're just looking for a fight which I suggested earlier.

Please tell us why you believe this model didn't sell well.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
So what's your point? Do you want the thread closed?
So you think the Sonic Liner failed because it was not an appealing shape or that it didn't have good flying characteristics? What's your guess?
No, far from it, I merely provide my point of view as a "reality check" for "hard core Sonicliner" enthusiasts.

The Sonicliner failed, in my opinion, because the majority of model pilots is more interested in WW II fighters, foam jets etc. rather than airliners. The Sonicliner is not the only foam model which flopped. Have a look at the Robbe Dash 7, BAe 146, Concorde and/or Airliner. All models have disappeared too.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Are you being serious with this argument? If so, I suspect you are completely out of touch with this hobby.
Not at all - have a look at Martin's 1:22 scale airliner. Scale looks and scale speed:

modell-hobby-spiel 2012 - Airbus A310 in Action (3 min 8 sec)

Jürgen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
No, far from it, I merely provide my point of view as a "reality check" for "hard core Sonicliner" enthusiasts.

The Sonicliner failed, in my opinion, because the majority of model pilots is more interested in WW II fighters, foam jets etc. rather than airliners. The Sonicliner is not the only foam model which flopped. Have a look at the Robbe Dash 7, BAe 146, Concorde and/or Airliner. All models have disappeared too.

Jürgen
I have great news for you!
Ming from Windrider has been very successful with his airliners...until now, I didn't even think to contact him.

http://www.windrider.com.hk/

As for your "reality check" for "hard core Sonicliner" enthusiasts; it's entirely superfluous. It's not your job to tell people that their personal tastes are wrong. If people aren't interested in the plane, the discussion will go nowhere. It's a self regulating system.

So your opinion has officially been made known. The SL ONLY failed because people don't like airliners...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Quote:
Welcome to RC Groups! Thank you for your friendly and valuable input. You're very new here so I'm not sure how you know about the failure of past threads of this type.

I'm also not clear on why you insist that we shouldn't bother but it sounds like you're personally offended by the idea of it. Perhaps you're just having a bad day!

I'm currently attempting to see if there is interest in this model. If there proves to be interest, I will likely contact folks at Hobby King and FMS. I don't have contacts elsewhere so I asked in the first post which companies might be worth asking.

Again, I recognize that the odds are slim that anyone will take this project on but it's a discussion forum and it's a topic worthy of discussion, I believe.

Never confuse RCG post counts or sign up dates with knowledge or time in the hobby or with who knows whom or what.

I will stay out of your thread and watch you spar with Jurgen. I would like to follow the thread and your efforts at reviving this aircraft so please keep us updated on companies you speak with and their response. A simple poll here will do nothing. You will need to aggressively approach these companies with a business plan. Six Americans wanting the plane is not a business model; you will need to present cost/sales/marketing numbers to pique their interest.

Good luck with your endeavour.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
If people don't like airliners, then don't market it as one. The twinstar looks like a twin turboprop airliner but it has been very successful.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Never confuse RCG post counts or sign up dates with knowledge or time in the hobby or with who knows whom or what.

I will stay out of your thread and watch you spar with Jurgen. I would like to follow the thread and your efforts at reviving this aircraft so please keep us updated on companies you speak with and their response. A simple poll here will do nothing. You will need to aggressively approach these companies with a business plan. Six Americans wanting the plane is not a business model; you will need to present cost/sales/marketing numbers to pique their interest.

Good luck with your endeavour.
What is your other screen name?

I will indeed pass along what I hear back (if anything) from companies that I contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
If people don't like airliners, then don't market it as one. The twinstar looks like a twin turboprop airliner but it has been very successful.
I agree here. Honestly, my interest in the SL is on the merits of the shape, not the fact that it's an "airliner."
It's a big, sleek, beautiful twin pusher prop plane with canards! What's not to like?!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Ming's inbox is full.
I'll send an email and keep everyone posted.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Ming from Windrider has been very successful with his airliners...until now, I didn't even think to contact him.
Sure, but Ming cleverly picked a popular aircraft (7000+ delivered), i.e. there are x thousands of pilots and co-pilots around which probably would like a model of the aircraft they are flying plus millions of potential passengers who would like a model of the aircraft they are regularly flying with.

He also made the model much closer to scale than the fantasy Sonicliner, which appeals to a different group of modelers.

Jürgen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
As for your "reality check" for "hard core Sonicliner" enthusiasts; it's entirely superfluous. It's not your job to tell people that their personal tastes are wrong. ...
I was not telling people that their personal tastes are wrong. Again, I am just telling the facts, that the Sonicliner flopped and why it probably flopped.

I am sure there are some guys out there, who would buy one (depending on the price of course), but just not enough to start milling forms and start a re-production. I would be very surprised if proven wrong.

Jürgen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
as a current sonicbliner owner...m

I have to tell you that flying this plane on long can speed 400's. With apc 6x4 and 3s lipo power there is no problem with the sonic liner except torque roll at launch. Climbs at 45 degrees and flies nice no bad habbits . What multiplex told me at the neat fair two years ago when i flew this there was thwt the kit got a bad rap for peoe reversing the elevator since its a canard. And without reinforcement even a modest power system caused the airframe to bend like a banana . It got a bad reputation and it cost $200 ten yewrs ago. Also. Walkera already cloned this once upon a time
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa View Post
... Also. Walkera already cloned this once upon a time
Correct, the Walkera DRAGONFLY - and it was no popular model either.

Jürgen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Sonicliner used as "experimental testbed" ...

... for differential thrust and canard/elevons coupling:

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/2f3e17ab...s-tiefergelegt

Jürgen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:11 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Well if there is no interest in reviving this kit from either source you could just... build your own?
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh