Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:39 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic liner View Post
-1 on closing the two threads

Pete
Yah but we can tell your biased
J
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,035 Posts
Lol !.

+1 on being biased

Pete
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:47 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic liner View Post
+1 on being biased

Pete
Pete,
Are you getting much flying time in on yours these days?
How does the air frame handle wind?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:03 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Pete,
Are you getting much flying time in on yours these days?
How does the air frame handle wind?
I'm not Pete but I'll comment anyway; I find the SL quite tolerant to winds. perhaps not quite as much as f.i. the FunJet, but still. I actually prefer flying the Sl in some wind, as this adds a safety margin to the launch

Despite being built light and having a rather curved and full wing profile, my SL also flies pretty fast, which helps in windy conditions. The downwind legs are fast though.

I have noticed that on fast plane LOS flight, on-board camera videos tend to display constant banking. The pilot has to keep turning to prevent the plane from disappearing from sight. My SL videos are no exception to that....
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Sep 2005
987 Posts
Things have changed since 2003. Let's face it -- Speed 400 motors are pretty damn heavy, not to mention the NiMH's.

It's a matter of size -- it's much easier/cheaper now to get the larger brushless motors of this size, and the lithium batteries to go with them. This alone will easily shave a significant amount of weight off.

The long fuse makes it interesting for payload purposes, and more people are flying with interesting payloads nowadays (e.g. cameras).

The model was pretty damn large, and people weren't quite ready for foamies of this scale back then. They're much more accustomed to large foamies now that the foamie stigma has worn/died off.

This would be would be a neat model for a Chinese manufacturer to pick up and improve upon.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
I'm not Pete but I'll comment anyway; I find the SL quite tolerant to winds. perhaps not quite as much as f.i. the FunJet, but still. I actually prefer flying the Sl in some wind, as this adds a safety margin to the launch

Despite being built light and having a rather curved and full wing profile, my SL also flies pretty fast, which helps in windy conditions. The downwind legs are fast though.

I have noticed that on fast plane LOS flight, on-board camera videos tend to display constant banking. The pilot has to keep turning to prevent the plane from disappearing from sight. My SL videos are no exception to that....
Mirrored thoughts.........Thanks Mike-o

I havent been flying much as of late. Only small heli's in the house and back yard. We are actually in a cold snap right now.....LOL if their is such a thing.
I plan on airing the twins out this spring though, as I just renewed my AMA and Tomcats memberships. Thanks for asking !.

Pete
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:36 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post

Wow...my jealousy has been raised three points! Your SL experience sounds superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
Things have changed since 2003. Let's face it -- Speed 400 motors are pretty damn heavy, not to mention the NiMH's.

It's a matter of size -- it's much easier/cheaper now to get the larger brushless motors of this size, and the lithium batteries to go with them. This alone will easily shave a significant amount of weight off.

The long fuse makes it interesting for payload purposes, and more people are flying with interesting payloads nowadays (e.g. cameras).

The model was pretty damn large, and people weren't quite ready for foamies of this scale back then. They're much more accustomed to large foamies now that the foamie stigma has worn/died off.

This would be would be a neat model for a Chinese manufacturer to pick up and improve upon.
GoatZilla nailed it!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:44 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Oops...double post.
Last edited by MRGTX; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: double post
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:15 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE WON View Post
i think thats the point here. 6,192 views and only 66 in favor of making it again. the #s dont lie.
No,only 72 people out of nearly 7000 views chose to participate in the poll by indicating they may buy one should it become available again.That still leaves 7000 that showed interest ...thats the number that you should pay attention to.There may well be hundreds if not thousands that might buy that didn't bother to participate.Only 31 people participated in the discussion,where did the other votes come from?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:23 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
... That still leaves 7000 that showed interest ...thats the number that you should pay attention to ...
Only 31 people participated in the discussion,where did the other votes come from?
That's no how the view counter works. Every time you open this thread, change the page or refresh it, counts as a view. Haven't you noticed the reduced growth in views since I have stopped taking part in this discussion?

Only 31 people participated in the discussion. Some may have just looked and clicked to vote. The majority of viewers probably could not care less and neither left a vote, nor participated in the discussion.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
That's no how the view counter works. Every time you open this thread, change the page or refresh it, counts as a view. Haven't you noticed the reduced growth in views since I have stopped taking part in this discussion?

Only 31 people participated in the discussion. Some may have just looked and clicked to vote. The majority of viewers probably could not care less and neither left a vote, nor participated in the discussion.

Jürgen
Welcome back. I thought your personal vendetta against this plane had expired.

Thanks for the bump though.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Welcome back. I thought your personal vendetta against this plane had expired.
What makes you think that "I would have a personal vendetta against the Sonic Liner? I never wrote anything negative against the model and I have an untouched kit in my collection.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:36 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
...I have an untouched kit in my collection.

Jürgen
Ahh...this why you're so negative on the idea of a clone or reissue.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Ahh...this why you're so negative on the idea of a clone or reissue.

Pretty weird thoughts. I never considered the Sonic Liner a collectors item. I bought myself a kit when they were offered well below list price. Same with the Twister by the way.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Pretty weird thoughts. I never considered the Sonic Liner a collectors item.

Jürgen
Quote:
I have an untouched kit in my collection.

Jürgen
Pretty weird thoughts.