HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 75 54.35%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.46%
no interest 29 21.01%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,259 Posts
A scratch build has no connection or correlation to this thread , if you spent time in the scratch build part of the forum "most" of the members would "like" to build certain models but not everyone does. The multiplex sonicliner thread is being derailed by the trolls , if you have no interest in having one why are you here other than to stir up other members ?

As for the molding process mentioned a few pages back , the major costs involved is the mold after that it is cheap as chips to produce products from that mold if you do not factor in wages etc , foam is dirt cheap , fact , there are 2 factories around here that produce Polystyrene for insulation and EPP in various different grades for varying purposes , its cheap.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
^ True. Assuming a company were to base a kit on the existing engineering of the MPX SL that is already known to fly well, would the molds/tooling really be that expensive to create?
The costs of enginnering the large packaging are certainly part of the investment as well...but it still seems to me that the expensive/diificult part of this job was done ten years ago in Germany.

As for the thread being derailed by trolls, I think that some individuals feel personally invested in certain products and they're compelled to inject themselves into the conversation as an authority even when the input is irrelevant. I suppose that's the nature of sharing the internet with "super fans" of anything.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Neat build here..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=sonic
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,259 Posts
Looks like a good fpv build

Ive been looking for a sonic liner for about 2 years , but , theyre either preflown/tatty/bust up or there is a price penalty because its an "old" model.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Ive been looking for a sonic liner for about 2 years , but , theyre either preflown/tatty/bust up or there is a price penalty because its an "old" model.
same here...
Did you know anyone who had one back when they were plentiful? In some parts of Europe, they were supposedly plentiful and unwanted, ground up to be used as packing material
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:16 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
... In some parts of Europe, they were supposedly plentiful and unwanted, ground up to be used as packing material
Unwanted? Yes, but the rest is complete and utter nonsense.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
323 Posts
Shall we have a mature behaviour at least once a year? Both parties involved.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

Merry Christmas you all.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Shall we have a mature behaviour at least once a year? Both parties involved.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

Merry Christmas you all.
I'm assuming he responded with something snarky?
Tempted to look...

Some people make rudeness their job. Fortunately for some, thats allowed on this forum.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Wow...over 6000 views.
Even after the trouble maker has checked out, the votes are still trickling in.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Wow...over 6000 views.
Even after the trouble maker has checked out, the votes are still trickling in.

i think thats the point here. 6,192 views and only 66 in favor of making it again. the #s dont lie.
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE WON View Post
i think thats the point here. 6,192 views and only 66 in favor of making it again. the #s dont lie.
~ .01 % !
Yeah that'll pay for tooling ....
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Well, views dont directly translate to purchases but it certainly shows that there is some interest.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,853 Posts
Quote:
Well, views dont directly translate to purchases but it certainly shows that there is some interest.
Missing the point (or deliberate denial) again GTX.
Only 66 respondents, out of 6,192 views, indicate an interest to purchase a Sonic Liner. That accounts to 1/100 percent of thread viewers.
Considering some 'views' as looky loos,innocent eavesdroppers,or whatever will bring the % up.
So if 1/2 of the views are actually 'valid' this brings the number to 2/100 percent of thread viewers being interested in purchasing a Sonic Liner.
I think you could make a FG version and sell it.Better yet a 'HyBrid' (that's a Real popular word these days) EPP & depron kit that you wire cut at home.Only around $1000.00 to tool up.
If 1/2 of the 66 interested in a purchase actually buy one...
Actually,all sarcasm aside ( I admit it ) this might not be that bad of an idea.
I want royalties!
So why not close these 2 SL threads and start a new thread " How to replicate the foamy Sonic Liner " and people to start weighing in re: the hot wire method(s) of production for a hybrid EPP/Depron Sonic Liner?
And I'm not talking FFF aka profile models (not that there's anything wrong with that ... )
You certainly seem to be interested.
Skies
Jay.
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:55 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,795 Posts
things you can do with a Sonic Liner...

...IF you can do it. I was not up to the level Gabriel is showing here (I posted the video long ago in some Sonic Liner thread, now also on youtube except for Germany due to music rights)
BUT I also liked to fly it on differential thrust (for great-looking stall turns with the long broomstick fuselage tipping over), working elevons asssisting the Canards, etc.

Sonic Liner diff. thrust aerobatics & vertical landing (4 min 13 sec)

Gabriel kept our plane. Would I get myself one if available? Don't know - the level of scale detaiils on the foamies is incredible now, no painting required. And the argument about airliners I share: They look good, and I've thought about getting a huge Windrider Boeing or a cheaper Tian Sheng Airbus a couple of times, and I was really close getting the Dynam Turbo Jet - so far I could resist, only the Epic Victory waits to be built NIB at home.

So, although (on impulse) I voted that I would get one, I would really rather get a Durafly Sea Vixen once available in a European warehouse.- or a Canadair seaplane, cheap and good looking 2 engine aircraft...

best New Year wishes to all
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,019 Posts
-1 on closing the two threads

Pete
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner