HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
wow" your like a robot." straight to the point you put out the facts whether a person likes it or not . you remind me of spock

i like the sonic but i dont belive it will come back out its one of those planes that came out before its time and now its time has passed
No...he's making posts with the hope that we won't like it...attempting to elicit a response. That's not robotic, that's something else entirely...and against the forum rules.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Did you get reported?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Did you get reported?
Nah ,but I probably would have if i left it up ,its * not worth the bother.

substitute a gender specific pronoun here...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,871 Posts
Somewhere in one of these 'Sonic Liner' threads someone mentioned having or working on CAD files IIRC.
Here's someone to contact for foamy kit cutting. A lot of guys have had a great time with the swing wing F-14.
Balsa Buddies aka birdofplay on RCGroups
Skies
Jay
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Somewhere in one of these 'Sonic Liner' threads someone mentioned having or working on CAD files IIRC.
Here's someone to contact for foamy kit cutting. A lot of guys have had a great time with the swing wing F-14.
Balsa Buddies aka birdofplay on RCGroups
Skies
Jay
interesting...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=212
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
my unzipper won't let me un zip it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:01 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,871 Posts
Quote:
my unzipper won't let me un zip it.
Your zipper's stuck? Wrong forum.
I got 4 jpg files,a '3ds' file & an 'stl' file.Whatever 3ds & stl mean they're reported as unix executable files.
Trojans???
J
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:46 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Your zipper's stuck? Wrong forum.
I got 4 jpg files,a '3ds' file & an 'stl' file.Whatever 3ds & stl mean they're reported as unix executable files.
Trojans???
J
3DS is autodesk 3d mesh file. STL stands for stereolithography CAD file format.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:22 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
So the votes are still trickling in.
While a relatively small number have voted, over 74% have some interest in this kit...half are very interested.

It's possible that there are many people who are so thoroughly uninterested that they didn't bother to vote...but I'm hoping that's not the case. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any recent polls in this forum to compare the response rate to.

Regardless, the responses that have come in have been overwhelmingly positive. If you guys know anyone with an opinion about this plane and a possible clone, let them know that they're welcome to chime in!

As mentioned early on, there isn't a model made that would be of interest to a plurality of modelers. This is a unique model in a very specific niche of the hobby...so a response with these numbers might be pretty encouraging. Granted that companies can turn a profit with an electric foamy/kit, this particular one does appear to be a valid candidate.
Last edited by MRGTX; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: clarity
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:45 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
As much as it pains me to say so ,JH may have been right .I came across a thread in the scratchbuilt section started by one of the original designers of the SL with plans for a flat foamie version.While he cited hundreds of downloads and implored others to post their builds etc ,none did.Of course that was then and this is now and I know of at least one that has/is doing so ....me ;but thats not going to be enough of a following to convince Ming or others to clone the original model.Sorry for being blunt.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
As much as it pains me to say so ,JH may have been right .I came across a thread in the scratchbuilt section started by one of the original designers of the SL with plans for a flat foamie version.While he cited hundreds of downloads and implored others to post their builds etc ,none did.Of course that was then and this is now and I know of at least one that has/is doing so ....me ;but thats not going to be enough of a following to convince Ming or others to clone the original model.Sorry for being blunt.
Not saying you're wrong here...but an ARF/full fuse kit isn't really comparable to a scratch built (from plans) flat foamy.

I'm very interested in cutting out a flat foam version and doing all kinds of scratch building...I'll get right on that as soon as I'm retired in 25 years.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:55 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Not saying you're wrong here...but an ARF/full fuse kit isn't really comparable to a scratch built (from plans) flat foamy.

I'm very interested in cutting out a flat foam version and doing all kinds of scratch building...I'll get right on that as soon as I'm retired in 25 years.
Well,I'm semi-retired now and have the time ...

The thing I see here is the practical side of things .At present no manufacturer is producing the SL .For those who desire to add one to their fleet they must either locate and purchase an existing MPX (difficult but not impossible) ,modify a similar model to resemble one ,or build one from scratch (flat foamy).Not all of us have the necessary skills to build from sctatch or modify an existing plane ;but at present if one wants an SL bad enough ,thats the only practical alternatives.If Windrider or another manufacturer does clone it and brings it to market,I'll be first in line to buy one,but I'm not holding my breath waiting.
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Well,I'm semi-retired now and have the time ...

The thing I see here is the practical side of things .At present no manufacturer is producing the SL .For those who desire to add one to their fleet they must either locate and purchase an existing MPX (difficult but not impossible) ,modify a similar model to resemble one ,or build one from scratch (flat foamy).Not all of us have the necessary skills to build from sctatch or modify an existing plane ;but at present if one wants an SL bad enough ,thats the only practical alternatives.If Windrider or another manufacturer does clone it and brings it to market,I'll be first in line to buy one,but I'm not holding my breath waiting.
I think I see what you're getting at...if the plane was desirable, we'd see proportionate interest from those who make their planes from scratch...and since we don't see many folks sharing pictures of scratch-builts, there must not be interest in the original plane... ?

There is something to that. Anecdotally, I know a couple of folks who really like the SL and do scratch-build regularly...but have yet to take on a SL model of their own. So my gut tells me that it's not necessarily the case...but I see your point.

When I started this thread, I had no illusions that any company would realistically take this up...but It's something I (and many others) would like to see and it seemed like it was worth it to get the conversation going.

If the fans of this plane don't make their desires known, we're guaranteed to never get one!

One more thing; if HobbyKing does take this model on, my only other request is that they name it the "Sonic GTX" (I kid of course...but the name has a ring to it! )
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
When I started this thread, I had no illusions that any company would realistically take this up ...
Really? In this case I am puzzled by the strong opposition against the facts provided.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig