SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
One more question for Jurgen

somethng I have been wondering in the back of my mind for while, is that on brushed motors the SL cant have had much more than 180 to 200 watts of power going thru it, but it flies pretty well like that, I have a hard time imagining a brushless plane this large flying on so little power, but I have noticed that all the old brushed twins are strong fliers on very little power, what makes twin brushed motors in the multiplex line perform so strongly compared to singe brushless setups of similar wattage?
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:14 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa View Post
somethng I have been wondering in the back of my mind for while, is that on brushed motors the SL cant have had much more than 180 to 200 watts of power going thru it, but it flies pretty well like that, I have a hard time imagining a brushless plane this large flying on so little power, but I have noticed that all the old brushed twins are strong fliers on very little power, what makes twin brushed motors in the multiplex line perform so strongly compared to singe brushless setups of similar wattage?
Those Speed/Permax 400 models will fly with even less power when equipped with brushless motors. Keep in mind however, that the brushed motors run at only approx. 50% efficiency @ 10A, so ideally should be throttled back to approx. 5A (or less) in order to fly efficiently.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
In other words, your 57oz model better get by on 84W (each motor drawing 5A from 8.4v) or less or your efficiency hits the floor. Yes, we have it good in the era of the brushless motor.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780049 this guy has one for sell in the classifieds for $300. i tried to talk him down, but he's not budging. $300 is very pricey
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780049 this guy has one for sell in the classifieds for $300. i tried to talk him down, but he's not budging. $300 is very pricey
Cool...I sent him a PM. Thanks.
Even if I do obtain an original, I'd love a clone that I wouldn't have to be so careful with.

EDIT: LPU only...so anyone who is near this guy may want to take a look. The price includes brushless motors and ESCs...so not too bad assuming he picked good motors.
Last edited by MRGTX; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
In other words, your 57oz model better get by on 84W (each motor drawing 5A from 8.4v) or less or your efficiency hits the floor. ...
Well, at a mere load of 2 x 5A = 10A, the voltage should be at least 10V on 8 cells and 100W is plenty of power for cruising.

For comparison: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8270

Jürgen
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; Dec 01, 2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: link added
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:11 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,596 Posts
Did the 400 motors really "provide" (consume) 90-100w each? I use Turnigy SK3 2822mm 1740KV motors with 6x4.5 props, each sucking up 115W max static on 3S.

If I dared, I'd most likely get vertical out the set-up. I just tried it inside without vertical stabs, canards and wing ends, but it had no problems whatsoever hovering vertically. Adding another 140grs wouldn't have mattered, and I cannot believe that this would have been possible with the stock set-up....

Off course the higher efficiency provides more thrust per watt, but still?

BTW: It cruises nicely at half throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
...Even if I do obtain an original, I'd love a clone that I wouldn't have to be so careful with.
I know exactly what you mean!
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Dec 01, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Nothing to see here, move on.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Last edited by Darsh; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Nothing to see here, move on.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
long can 400's

The motors i use came from hobby lobby they used to make a long can speed 400 that takes 10v really well. Using the gunther props until they broke i had really good performance from them. Jurgen's explanation of power draw makes sense as i was flying nicely under 100mah per minute at cruise

QUOTE=mike_o;23410352]Did the 400 motors really "provide" (consume) 90-100w each? I use Turnigy SK3 2822mm 1740KV motors with 6x4.5 props, each sucking up 115W max static on 3S.

If I dared, I'd most likely get vertical out the set-up. I just tried it inside without vertical stabs, canards and wing ends, but it had no problems whatsoever hovering vertically. Adding another 140grs wouldn't have mattered, and I cannot believe that this would have been possible with the stock set-up....

Off course the higher efficiency provides more thrust per watt, but still?

BTW: It cruises nicely at half throttle

I know exactly what you mean![/QUOTE]
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
3d model is ready.

Amazing work, sir!!

That is a beautiful shape, isn't it?!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Nothing to see here, move on.
Last edited by Darsh; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Nothing to see here, move on.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456055

Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
i think this plane was ahead of its time! thats why it didnt sell so well. and the technology was'nt there, for what this plane really needed.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
i think this plane was ahead of its time! thats why it didnt sell so well. and the technology was'nt there, for what this plane really needed.
The model flew pretty well with the technology available back then. It just wasn't attractive enough for the average modeler to make a profit with.

Jürgen
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Indeed
Now pick your poison: would you feed the data to a cnc mill machine, or cut foam boards and assemble? If board it is, which thickness?
Wow... I don't have personal access to a CNC machine but a guy in my club claims to. If you wouldn't mind sharing the file, that would be awesome. Thanks again for putting this together and sharing your talents!!

I'm pouring over that build thread right now... incredible work.

Quote:
gchrisgo, I suspect you're right.
Besides, tastes and climates in the hobby change. For example, there is a much bigger appetite for big pusher models these days thanks to the FPV trend...and with modern computer radios and gyros, there is a lot more fun to be had with playing with thrust differential and canards.

So I agree. improved tech is one big reason why this model is looking damn good these days.