HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:16 AM
Gainesville Fl.
Joined Mar 2003
19 Posts
Discussion
Aero Gloss paint

Does anyone know what will thin Aero gloss paint. The paint says it is a lacquar product however lacquar thinner will not thin it. Aero gloss thinner contains lacquar thinner plus MIK (older) or MEK plus touluene. What precentages of these thinners are correct. Please help I am a builder with lots of Aero gloss.
John Castronover
jfcgnv is offline Find More Posts by jfcgnv
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,140 Posts
Lacquer thinner comes in different grades. Perhaps the one that you are using isn't strong enough.

The percentage of thinner required, is based on the type of paint application. Brushing requires less thinning than spraying..

For spraying, I like to thin my paints to the consistency of milk. For most paints, this seems to be a 2/1 mixture of paint to solvent.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,147 Posts
Get some Sig butyerate thinner and give it a try.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,781 Posts
I have used acetone before, but I have read someplace different brands of acetone will or will not work. I'm not sure how that works as I always assumed acetone was acetone.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,140 Posts
I used acetone, years ago. Never had a problem. I don't know about different grades. It was all the same when I was in the paint manufacturing industry.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:36 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,781 Posts
IIRC in the material I read, some acetone was described as being "hotter" than others. It would curdle the dope. I never heard of such a thing. My experience was without issue.

What I read was on the interweb and we all know it it isn't true you can't post it on the interweb.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition