Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:14 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
Canopy finishing and horizontal stabilizer mounted

My horizontal stabilizer is mounted on the fuselage (still drying, so pic later).

Elevator connecting wire is in as well. Test fitted system before mounting - excellent fit. The 2mm wire was redone as the stock one was a bit bent. I used white glue in lieu of CA or epoxy. My tail slides into the fuselage, and I had to ensure that it could be fitted and aligned properly. CA is pretty fast, and may not fill in enough to hold under more extreme landing or flight conditions. I did the same with my Pitts 12 15e, and it works fine.

During the fitting and clamping, the stabilizer main section was a bit off from alignement, slightly angled. I clamped the tail after applying a bit of opposite pressure to re-align the stab. Double-checked everything before final clamping. It's aligned with the wings (test fit and cheked for alignment with stab).

The canopy is a plain bubble type, so I added some black 3M vinyl cut 4mm wide to simulate the actual Yak 55 canopy. Pic shown below. The vinyl applied well, but the compound curve of the front of the canopy bubble is hard to get just so. But we got it pretty close!

Sdiebar: I was concerned about the kit gear struts. They are too narrow and not very high. I ordered a CF gear from HobbyKing, which should be PERFECT for this plane. HK280-148 is the stock number. Once it comes in, I'll fit it in lieu of the stock gear. Most Yak-55s I've seen online (scale planes) have a wider gear strut system than the kit has. This will look more proportional - should be awesome.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts