HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Maiden report:

She flies!!!
she flies, with some issues to fix, no much turn to the right... almost nothing... at low speed jaja, maybe need some nose weight, but not shure, maybe need a bigger prop.
Hi George!!!
one question, do you glued the pylon to the upper wing... because i noticed the wing moves changing the incidence, may be this reason some times flies well and others just stall...

i have to move the pushrod on the servo arm to get more rudder! and i donīt know if add some side trust...(is hard to get a turn to the right)

here the video.

Frog Tomtit x2 maiden RC.m4v (2 min 57 sec)

George: This plane looks just fine in the sky!!!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:45 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Hi Rodrigo

Congratulations on the maiden flight!

You didn't glue the top wing to the pylon!!!!! Oh dear, yes, it absolutely should be glued to the pylon. The top wing is then held firm by the pegs at the front of the hatch and a rubber band at the back. Please do glue it before flying again, as it is it is only the interplane struts that are stopping the wing from flying off, and if it is moving in flight, it will cause problems.

About the reluctance to turn right; have you tried the model on the glide, motor off. If it turns right OK on the glide, then you do need some right thrust, maybe 2 to 3 degrees. If it is still difficult to turn right when gliding, check the model for warps or offset fin/rudder.

After watching the video I would also suggest that you add just a little weight to the nose - maybe 10 grams.

You seemed to be having trouble with the landings which is strange as it is such an easy model to land, do try and make longer straight approaches rather than landing off a turn - practice, practice!

If you feel that you are short of power, go up a size on the prop - for example and extra inch of pitch OR diameter.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:35 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
WOW! She looks fantastic! Well done.
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:22 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Rodrigo, congratulations on a wonderful build and a very enjoyable flight video.
You were very lucky that the top wing stayed on. I guess you could have had a little experiment checking out slightly different incident angles! I had a friend who had a .40 sized (glow engine) bipe that lost the top wing in flight. He was so surprised that all he did was watch as it came spiraling down under full power.
Anyway, your build (and Sundancer’s) and flight are a source of inspiration for me to build the Tomtit. Me being me, I will probably make a few changes. The rudder fin will have the back vertical balsa extend down to match the rudder depth. The fin and elevator will have built up construction. My stock of balsa is not the best (too heavy), so I will use thinner sheet (1/16th rather than 1/8th) and lots of sand paper. I’ll probably go with a plastic film for open areas and silk span for sheeted areas. As Sundancer mentioned earlier it can probably carry up to 600 g. And, oh, I’ll be sure to glue the top wing to the mount, good point!
Lastly, it was also nice to see the green grass and vegetation of a “summer like” day. Here in Canada we have our winter weather, cold, snow on the ground.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Thanks owlsabie! yes she looks just right in the sky!!
John: Thanks a lot for words, hope to see your building soon!
There are too many models arround, but just a few to say "i want it", and this is one of those... pretty good looking, looks to have a great performance (iīm just learning to fly) and very, very funny to build.
The Tomboy, the tomtit and the linnet are ones of my favorites... need to think about the linnetīcos is missing in my wall.
George: Thanks for all the support and patient, and donīt stop to designing this beauties! now i have glued the topwing to the pylon, and moved the rudder pushrod one hole, time to wait for next flight and think to change the propeller after this.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Sorry!! here is winter too, but iīm closer to the ecuador than you, so we donīt have snow... just some chill at night. but the next month is the most windy month of the year!!!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:53 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
I second what those above have said - it looks a great model! One that definitely goes high up the build list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
There are too many models arround...
Exactly what I am finding!!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Hi Coronel!!! Shure!! i will bet you will be building this one this year!!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:45 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Hi guys!! i have a question: when take off from the ground, why some times the plane start taxing straight, and just start to spinning?? do i īm pushing so hard?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Rodrigo; because the Tom Tit is a scaled up design, I kept the undercarriage in the same position as the original, which means it really is rather in front of the ideal position for best take offs with a radio model. However, if you open the throttle smoothly and be prepared to stop any swing early with the rudder, it takes off just fine. Practice, practice.....

Only other possible reason is that the wheels are not tracked properly, or one wheel is sticking. Ideally the wheels should have just a LITTLE "toe in" - front of the wheel nearer the centeline - only a degree or two. Any "toe out" needs to be avoided as this will cause take off problems.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Hi Guys!!
After changing my tx Tactic for an Futaba Skysport 6a went to flight and a mess... the trimming was hard to get and a bad landing broke the shaft of brushless and the elevator get broken... now everythink is fixed, and a new shaft installed.
i have an old JR arround maybe i will try with these.
BUT... she really flies great at 1/3 throttle, at level with soft turns. At some more throttle, the nose rise but donīt get much attitude, What could be?

As iīm sick about Crystals, and old radios, iīm thinking to get an ORX Orange 6 channel... with some receivers... What you think? Until that, she will by flied by JR.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:14 AM
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
366 Posts
Hi CG,
I am using Spektrum/orange with great successs - as long as transmitter battery voltage stays high enough you won't have brown outs. I certainly didn't have any in about two years time. Use disposable batteries (higher voltage than rechargables) on the transmitter and you will be fine.
Glad to hear plane is up again - would be such a pity to see it collecting dust (in the bin..) - quite a sight your TT200
KNS is online now Find More Posts by KNS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest concluded projects
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:26 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Rodrigo:

I've not heard any feedback about the Orange Rxs - perhaps a bit of searching on RCG would be worthwhile? Personally, I've recently bought a Spektrum DX6i to replace my second hand 35MHz Futaba T6EX, and (so far) I like it a lot - I find the menu systems easier to navigate, and with Orange Rxs @ less than $6 each from HK, it's cheap to have too many models!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:31 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
I have eight orange Rxs which I am using with my 2.4 gig module converted Futaba FF8, so far with complete satisfaction.

Rodrigo; you say that when you open the throttle the nose rises but the model does not climb, despite having power to fly straight and level at a low throttle setting? This is very strange. My model will cruise level on 1/3rd throttle and as the throttle is opened the climb rate progressively increases up to about 20 degrees at full throttle which equates to about 140 watts (20 amps/7 volts). You can, of course, hold it level at full throttle with elevator, it just flies faster. I can only suppose that you are not getting that much power, can you run some tests and tell us what the current is at full throttle? What airscrew are you using?

Regarding problems with your new transmitter. Did you carefully check before flying that the controls (including trims) were responding properly, including doing a range check with the transmitter aerial down? If these checks show any problems DO NOT FLY!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,313 Posts
Hi Guys
As my rest days are sunday/monday, i woke up at 8:00, take a shower, drive like 20 minutes and carrying two lipos, i went to the baseball field.

The tomtit takes off from my hand with no problem, straight and gentle, as a rule, i start some turns to the field on left direction, and some to the right direction. The wind was slow, like 4 or 5 km/h, and as i was flying with the wind on my back, the slow passes were cross wind, and when the plane was coming to me, just as gas to keep the engine running.
Now time to full gas... great! strait up, not as George Tomtit, but consistent 20 degrees.... with hi attitude gained, the turns were too easy, some little stick movements and the plane has a tendency to do the rest... both sides. .... The FALCON is coming... yes i guess a falcon is living on the field, and start flying on top of my plane.... get nervous, more gas or less? some gas an a turn, the falcon was copping the pattern, but no intentions to attack, just curious. after maybe 25 minutes, the throttle donīt get respond to fast... my lipo is getting empty, time to land.... Soft land!
The second lipo was on trunk, walked a little and ready to go! now the falcon was on the top of a tree, so i decided to flight at low attitude (10 meters maybe) and slow passes, the wind was i little higer, and the turns to left were more close, and as more wind, the plane was getting some attitude when she was coming... so i decide to make a loop.... Great!! my hands get wet and i decided to try some landings...
I just can said: WHAT A GREAT PLANE. maybe i need more lipos to get more flight time.