SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,746 Posts
Colibriguitars, congratulations on a very fine and inspiring build! You put me to shame. The more I see of this model, the closer I get to wanting to make a start. Your craftsmanship appears to be “top notch”, just excellent. And of course, as already mentioned, what a wonderful choice of colours and an excellent covering job. Well done.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
Thanks JohnAV8R, can not wait to see another Sundancer Tomtit arround, at first it looks hard to build, but once you start to cut balsa, its starts to take shape for a nice plane.... Thanks for watch and hope you start yours!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
Hi George...
i have to questions:
How much movement does your tomtit has on rudder and elevator?
Are you flying your tomtit with the CG as per your plan?
Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,993 Posts
Hi Rodrigo

The balance point shown on the plan is correct, that is where mine balances, just in front of the leading edge of the bottom wing.

Control movements; mine is set up as follows:

Rudder: Low rate - 15 mm each way. High rate - 20 mm each way
Elevator: Low rate -10 mm each way. High rate - 15 mm each way

These measurements are taken at the widest part of the rudder and elevator.
You should use the low rate settings for all normal flying, they are plenty, I only use the high rates for spins and stall turns.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
Thanks George! my TX has not rates. So lets check how many mm are on this.
My stuff has left Switzerland! lets see how long it takes to arrive to Mxico.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:41 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,069 Posts
Hi Rodrigo!

Your standard of workmanship is exquisite!

Do you build guitars for a living as your handle suggests? If not, where did you pick up such superb wood working skills?
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
Thanks a lot Monza...
Yes! i build and fix guitars for living. im a graphic designer who hates stay sit front a computer making images, of fixing photos. so i learned to build and fix electric guitars.
build planes has my first close to wood, when i was kid (12 years old) i used to visit an old hobby store, "casa Vega" and the daughter of the original owner had a lot of free flight planes, like fokker d7 by comet, signed by the "vega" house. i wanted some IC motors, and RC planes, but i was poor! so i just can buy some little models.
At that time, the Sanwa Cox TX was like a fortune for me!
since i was a boy with no much people around, i just build like 5 or 6 FF models with no possibilities to fly them and stopped building.
a year ago i get an Guillows kit, but did not like the laser cuts, they are not acurated as i can imagine and start to look at the web. so.. here iam. learning RC now im able to make some money!
But dont you think, wood skills... yes, but guitars are lager, heavier, and less fragile.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
this is the "Petardo", a FF plane for a baby bee. but may be could be a copy for another plane with another name.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:35 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,993 Posts
Interesting looking model Rodrigo, I don't think it is a copy of anything, I certainly have never seen it before.

Since you don't have rates on your Tx I strongly advise that you use the lower figures - 15 mm for the rudder and 10 mm for the elevator, especially for the elevator, to start with. Once the model is trimmed and you are used to it you might want to increase them a little, but these settings are fine for all normal flying.

Monza Red is right about your workmanship, it has been a pleasure for me to see what a lovely job you have made of my design.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
Thanks a lot George, hope your working on other to build one!!

i will set up for normal weight, i had some trouble with stick jet, i pull to much. Now my tomboy is flying so good, and my redwing still to responsive... need to learn to move the sticks more soft or fix the Servo/horn .
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,743 Posts
I agree with the others - I am jealous of your skills and the accuracy of your work!

I would go so far as to say that you have the makings of a master - whereas I am a fully trained ham-fisted bodger!!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:11 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I agree with the others - I am jealous of your skills and the accuracy of your work!

I would go so far as to say that you have the makings of a master - whereas I am a fully trained ham-fisted bodger!!!!
Me too, all brute force and ignorance!
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,355 Posts
Hi Guys, i found this on garage sale...
Any info??
As you can see i like small engines!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:57 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,993 Posts
Looks like an ignition Arden converted to glow plug, but I suggest you post in one of the engine threads (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339787 or http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402733) where all the experts are, they will soon give you an answer!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:05 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,713 Posts
As George suggests, this is a spark ignition Arden. Judging from the size of the other engines, I think it's a .19.
The accessory, sold with the engine, was simply called "free flight chassis", and was intended as a simple way of installing the coil and batteries, etc. in the nose of a FF model.
Later Ardens had a black bakelite tank, which resists glow fuel, but this is an earlier clear plastic tank, so don't put glow fuel in it!
This engine should run OK as a glow, preferably with some nitromethane and plenty of oil (not just modern commercial glow fuel), but remove the tank first, to avoid any contact with glow fuel.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Dec 20, 2012 at 04:13 AM.