HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi Guys!!
No pictures today... but the progress is coming...
The pilot place, called ... cop... sorry is done, hope the pilot fits.
lower wings tips drying in the template.
elevator ingles glued and alignment.

After Thinking and thinking the finish will be clear on fling surfaces with some orange or purple trims... the design is so beautiful (Thanks George) to cover it with solid colors. i will try to cover with Microlite, hope it be as easy as tissue covering.

somewhere i read that you can cover with the clear film used on printing workshops to cover magazine covers and posters. i donīt remember where, but they said that it has glue that reacts with heat. close from home there are many of this workshops, i will ask for a sample. lets see.
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Doculam??!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:55 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Yes CG, doculam - document laminating film - is excellent for clear covering. My Triplane is covered in that and then has lightweight tissue applied over it before spraying with the scale colour.

For an good example of a model covered in laminating film and then tissue on top see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=cloud+snooper

In post number 50 of the above build log you will find details of a UK supplier of the laminating film this builder used, which was 42 micron thick matt finish, www.bindingsupplies.co.uk. I am not suggesting that you would get the film from this supplier, just that you can look at the material and know what you need to find at your local suppliers. I think this covering would be excellent for the Tom Tit wing and tail - either just on it's own for a transparent look or with tissue on top for colour. As the builder of the Cloud Snooper says, it is one of the easiest heat shrink coverings to work with.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:45 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
I just had look at that site, and was initially shocked at the price - until I realised that it was Ģ60 (inc VAT and P&P) for 230mm x 150 metres!!! - that's for the 38 micron - they don't seem to do the 42 micron spoke about.

George - what's the weight / rigidity like? It's a good deal thicker that the 10 micron mylar I've used. Is it rigid enough alone - ie could you simply paint over with acrylics?

Learning all the time, learning all the time!!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:02 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
George - what's the weight / rigidity like? It's a good deal thicker that the 10 micron mylar I've used. Is it rigid enough alone - ie could you simply paint over with acrylics?

Learning all the time, learning all the time!!!!
Weight is OK for models from 30" or so up. Rigidity is good, about the same, or a bit better, then Oracover Light and similar translucent films - but it is easier to apply, sticks like **** to a blanket and shrinks better than Oracover Light..
If wiped down with meths you can then spray it with acrylic. Paint adhesion is good, it can rub off on prominent edges after a while (based on a model I covered 12 years ago!) It really is nice stuff to work with and superb on bigger models under Esaki Liteflite. And a fraction of the price of modelling films, although you might have to lash out for a big roll. There are places where you can get it in sheets or smaller rolls though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi all of You!!!

i just finished the assambly of the lower wing, needs to be sanded, but now the plane looks like a plane, tomorrow i will go to find some covering material, donīt decided jet, but will see.

yeah i know, the pics, the pics...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:47 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Looking great CG. How do you manage to build so fast??? Don't forget the struts! The undercarriage will be OK that way round I think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Thanks George!
well, just working a couple of hours every night... and i be keep it slow and making time for the motor arrival.
No, tomorrow i will get some 1/16 ply for struts. and look around for covering ideas and materials.
The wood work is like 90%, just missing to cover the button of fuselage, Struts and cowling.

now i get some waterbase poly varnish, and if i get some doculam i will make some test on a ugly guillows wing. i will try to cover with doculam/tissue.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:08 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post

now i get some waterbase poly varnish, and if i get some doculam i will make some test on a ugly guillows wing. i will try to cover with doculam/tissue.
I used water based varnish on mine because I could not get any dope and thinners at that time; it works fine but given the choice I would use dope.

It is a very good idea to try out any materials new to you on an old wing or specially made test frames.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi George!!
I found doculam, 27ĩ, matte finish. So, so cheap, 30 mts 60 cm wide for 8 USD, i will cover the flying areas, and then, i will need help to cover the areas with tissue.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Presumably it's much the same as applying tissue over mylar - a technique about which I recently interrogated the experienced! To save people's fingers, I asked the same questions, so check out Raf_Bob's answer in posts #172 & 173, and Sundancer's post #174....

The main part is to apply the tissue wet!!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
And how i can find that posts? by numbers??
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Whoops! I forgot to post the link!!!

My only defence is that it was quarter past six in the morning..... Here you go, try this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...668006&page=12
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:00 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Glad you found the doculam CG, sounds like a good bargain! Thanks Colonel for nipping in with the links, you obviously get up earlier than I do, but then I am retired!

You definitely need to cover with the tissue wet for best results CG, then all those little bubbles will vanish as the tissue shrinks. Have a try on your test wing. I hope your tissue is OK, it needs to have wet strength and shrink properly, a lot of tissues are just no good for this. I only trust Esaki now.
RCG Plus Member