HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:59 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
Sounds like you are past the learning stage now Rodrigo. Your building skill has never been in doubt but you have done very well to teach yourself to fly, it is not the easiest thing in the world without help, well done.

I often have visits from a peregrine falcon and a pair of buzzards when I am flying in the field next to my house. The buzzards particularly like it when I have one of the soaring models in a thermal, they join in and always out-climb my model!

I'm glad you like the Tom Tit, it is still one of my favourites.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,267 Posts
Thanks George!
Well, i dont know if they are just curious, or they look the plane like a hamburger! jajaja but they are not afraid about motor noise!

How do you know if you have been hocked by a thermal?
Why to use a brake on the brushless?
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:35 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
Finding thermals is usually an art - although sometimes a big one finds you! Generally the model will just start to climb more rapidly, often there is turbulence associated with the thermal too so the model is bounced about. I will scan some of the pages from my Thermal Soaring book on the subject for you. Being a biplane the Tom Tit is a bit "draggy" and would need quite strong lift to soar, but your little Redwing should be able to climb very well in even light lift.

The brake is used to make sure on a soaring model that the prop folds when you cut the throttle, no brake set in the ESC and it just windmills causing drag. I don't have a folding prop on the little Tarquin, but even the little 5 x 3 windmilling acts like an air brake which spoils the glide, which is why I want to brake it, less drag with it stationary.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:00 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,500 Posts
That sounded like a great flying session, Rodrigo! - and that's what it's all about...
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,267 Posts
Hi Coronel, yes, its all about, and today had another great session, she just like to fly!!! Slow all around the field, get visited by the peregrin falcon, and when the lipo is fully charged, make a loop or two. the landings are getting better!
Today i had planed to work on touch and goes, but was a little windy and better to keep it at safe attitude.

Hi George!! today a fiend of mine came to the field with me, he is on wrong direction... 3D foam.... BUT when he saw my Tomtit.... he was out of mind!!! and well he knows about your design and your support building. so he ask me if can i build one for him... but with less dihedral and with ailerons. What you think? I told him, well, i can build one for you, but let me ask George what he think about ailerons.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:01 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
Hi Rodrigo

Glad you are enjoying the Tom Tit.

It was designed as a rudder/elevator model; however, there is no reason why it shouldn't have ailerons with some changes.

You must warn your friend though that it is not, and never will be, a 3D aerobatic model. With ailerons it will fly OK, but will NOT be fully aerobatic, and the structure is not intended for extreme aerobatic flying

If I were fitting ailerons I would reduce the dihedral on each wing to half and fit strip ailerons to the bottom wing only.

Rabidrue built a 3 times normal size Tom Tit (54") with ailerons for the Frog Build Off last spring, I suggest you look at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551651

You will see he uses different structure from my model - sheeted leading edges etc - and if I built one of mine for ailerons I would probably do the same as it would be subjected to higher stresses flying aerobatics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:46 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,267 Posts
Hi Guys!!
Another Great day... just dont watch the landing..... im learning how to dont do it.

TOMTIT RC REDESIGNED BY GEORGE STRINGWELL (5 min 26 sec)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:16 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
That wasn't a landing Rodrigo, that was a crash! You are trying to land off a series of tight low level turns, this is not good as at your stage of flying you are still finding it difficult to automatically co-ordinate elevator in the turns so that the nose is tending to drop. Try flying wider landing circuits higher, line the model up a good distance out above tree height and then concentrate on keeping it straight, adjust the rate of descent with the throttle, adjust the attitude of the model with elevator and GENTLY flair out with elevator just above the ground. You seem to have very good control of the model at other times, which is a good job as you do still spend a lot of time flying very low.

One other point; the launch. You launched it too much nose up, which is why it almost stalled and then sank before getting flying speed. Launch the model level, or even a little nose down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:42 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,469 Posts
Rodrigo, you are doing really great. That appears to be a small ball park surrounded by trees, so I can see where it might be a challenge not getting stuck in a tree, especially when wanting to fly straight and level for a touch down. Also the Tomtit appears to be an excellent little flyer and tough enough to take a rough landing.
The truck horn just before touch down was neatly timed.
Its nice to see the green grass, hear the birds and be reminded of the summer weather.
When I look out my window, Ill think of you and your warm weather.
And of course how could I not build a TT after watching SD and you have so much fun.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,267 Posts
Hi Guys!!!
The Tomtit has been upgraded with orange receiver, and working with dual rates is so cool! today i decided to make some loops and they are great. just have a question... i feel very comfortable with the turns to left... but turning right is harder and the plane lost more attitude... what could be???
Everything is as per plan, so no side or downtrust....
Last edited by colibriguitars; Mar 04, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: missing info
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:07 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
Are you right-handed Rodrigo? For some strange reason right handed people find it more natural to fly left handed circuits. If this is the case, the answer is just - practice. Only other thought is that you might have a warp, check the wings carefully
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,267 Posts
Hi George... nop, im left handed.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:29 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
OK, then check the model carefully, look particularly for any wash-out (trailing edge up) in the right wings or wash-in (trailing edge down) in the right wings (viewed from the back). If there is any correct by steaming the surfaces. Also check that there is no twist in the fin. If everything is straight, then it maybe is just a matter of more practice so that you are co-ordinating your elevator inputs better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:06 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,469 Posts
On some models, the engine torque tends to turn them left.
My little MVVS powered Wild Thing (blog- see Blue Flame) always wants to torque left on launch until it builds up a little air speed.
Could be the model.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:56 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
On some models, the engine torque tends to turn them left.
My little MVVS powered Wild Thing (blog- see Blue Flame) always wants to torque left on launch until it builds up a little air speed.
Could be the model.
John
I didn't read that as Rodrigo's problem John - he seems to say that the model is dropping it's nose - i.e. tending towards a spiral - in right turns, against torque.
RCG Plus Member