SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by Micubano
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
761 Posts
Discussion
Today is a good day to fly

I walked out of work today, looked up and the beautiful still sky and then ran for my car. I got home, grabbed some gear, ran out the back door yelling to my family that I would be back in 10 minutes and was able to get in 2 flights on the Nano CP X before the sun was too low. I am getting hovering down pretty good and even did a few circuits.

After dinner and spending some time with the kids, I wanted to fly more, but my mCX2 has been noisy and wobbly and the mSR developed some tail wag and a little TBE. I know the mCX2's problem was something in the aluminum shaft just by the sounds it was making, so I took it down to my bench and tore it down for a full checkup. With all the bearings oiled and a little oil on the now clean inner shaft and motors, I reassembled it. The noise was gone. The wobble was gone. I did 2 flights with the stunt switch flipped to on and I didn't stop moving the whole time. I definitely have all the orientations down with the MCX2.

After the second MCX2 flight and letting it sit to cool down the motors, I remembered seeing the MicroHeli MSR tail boom kit with the carbon fiber tail along with an aluminum main shaft and anti-rotation collar sitting uninstalled. So, I headed back down to the bench and took the MSR apart for maintenance and some upgrades. Once the maintenance was done and the other single metal parts were in place, I went for the tail boom install. The directions were pretty clear. I used a soldering iron to remove and reattach the rear motor power plug that goes to the 5 in 1. The little cap that went on the back side of the tail motor was a little tricky. I was trying to put the screw in when it was on the motor. I ended up taking it off, tightening the screw and then slowly loosing the screw until I could slip it on and tighten it. That final little piece that connects the metal boom to the frame was really snug, so I really took my time getting all the holes lined up. After about an hour, I had everything back in place.

I was worried that I might have turned a push rod or something else to throw the MSR off, but it flew better than ever. Unlike the MCX2, these upgrades didn't seem to add as much weight. With a little trim, I was hovering with no TBE, no tail wag, and more control. For those of you familiar with some of my posts, you know I got the mSR for $20, but the previous owner wrecked it pretty good. I have never flown an mSR new, but I'm guessing that how it flew tonight was pretty close to what that would feel like.

I am really enjoying all the parts of this hobby and today was a great day. After everything was done, one thing struck me as funny. I have been practicing landing the Nano a lot because it drops fast, but my landings on the other 2 helis are suddenly real accurate and very soft. I was not expecting that, but I'll take it.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Great Weekend for Flying
to remove ads between posts