SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
Discussion
Gulfstream G550

Guys,

I am wanting to build a G550. I am an experienced modeler and have a TON of turbine time...I just have little to no EDF experience with the exception of a Habu32 and some foamy F-16's. I know you guys are scratch building foam shaping kooks (i mean that in a good way) so I am coming to you, hat in hand. This is what i am shooting for:

Twin EDF powered G550 using the largest fans available 100mm dia +
Scale of airframe determined by the size of the EDF/Nacell units
Retractable landing geat (scale), flaps, functional MED, lights, etc....
Foam/balsa/composite construction....

So, who wants to help a brother out? I am hoping to have this for Vegas next year. I have unlimited access to Gulfstream aircraft and I am the Crew Chief on the one attached...

Anyone?
The_Dave is offline Find More Posts by The_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:01 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,847 Posts
You could start here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

Its a 500 and not even close to being right.....thanks though....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,847 Posts
Strange I thought the 500 and 550 were the same size and that
the 550 just had more range and more advanced cockpit

the photo you used is old as the US Airways airbus is in old
colors
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

The jet is 5 years old, and there is a ton of differences between the two...nonetheless lets stay on point with my original post....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:49 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I don't know of any plans, but if it were me, I would get a good set of 3 views and go from there. plus, you'll have all the technical info you'll ever need........bulkheads, flaps, retracts, etc, etc. that's how I'd do it and how I do do it.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you are CAD savvy, it should take you long to draw one, since it's not the most complex shaped airplane.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

Not CAD savvy....and 3 views are almost impossible to come by. GAC is not very forthcoming with that type of intel...I have some very basic 3 views but thats about it....maybe a fellow modeler who is CAD savvy can help a brother out...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm sure there are. I know I have a few 4 views kicking around. I'll search em out and post what I have for you.

Rich
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I think youll be luckyto get someone to do up plans for you on request. Some of the experienced guys on here spend 6 months to a year or more on a single build. Not trying to offend you or anything. You might try learning google sketchup. A lot of folks use that and its easier than cad to my knowledge. If you go a few pages back someone did an md80 using sketchup that had never built a plane before and it looked great. If i was experienced making plans id gladly do it cause i have way too much free time.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

Maybe I will find someone... maybe not, either way...and I am not offended at all...however I have seen collaborations before and I have given much of my time to fellow turbine modelers so I know people are willing to help. Plans are not my biggest issue, its the actual building with foam. I am not sure how to get started or what method to use.

I think this is what these forums are for, to share ideas and collaborate....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
You sir are right. There is many dofferent methods. For that specific plane the easiest to me would be doing the rib method and skinning it. Humbertomelo has a different techniquethat just involves curving fully single pieces. A lot do the somewhat box method and add extra pieces to sand to shape. Whatever plan you use will largely determine the method. Buildingone with rib formers and skinning it is much different than the box type method or the ones that only use a few bulk heads and most of the parts form to them. I on my phone now but when i get home home tommorow ill find the md80 thread for you if you need. The wings wont be hard and the fuse is basically a long cylinder
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

I am looking at this Skechup thing now....maybe learn some new skills....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
You basically make the 3d model from the 3 views. Then there is a plugin that will transferthe 3d pieces to 2d so you can print it out and then cut it. Im no expert but ill help you if i can. I need to learn it myself so i can make plans. Found that md80 thread. Phone wont let me copy and paste so just google rcgroups newbe md-80
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156647

There