Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:50 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,947 Posts
Deleted
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
sounds like you either have a short in your wiring for the lights or your PCB soldering.

I would disconnect the lights first as this is the only added part on the heli.
Also if you have one of the diodes wired incorrectly then it would allow a feedback of power to the board.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:18 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,293 Posts
Shorting out a servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
See if your servo still makes noise with the servo horn removed.
Remove the screw, and pull the white arm straight off.

Servos making noise means that they are under load, and attempting to attain or hold a position. This means there is tension or binding somewhere. If it still buzzes with the white arm removed, you probably have a bad servo, or a bad PCB that is telling the servo to go to a position it cannot reach.

With battery unhooked, try to carefully manually move the servos through their normal arc. It should be smooth, and not catch anywhere.
+1 on the REMOVE POWER before fiddling with the servos. I ruined a servo by trying to mechanically trim by adjusting the connecting rods without removing power. Not sure why or how but moving the servo arm must induce voltage when the arm is moved with power on, and it ruins the servo. It may not happen every time but it will happen and you don't want to have to replace one just because you forgot to pull power.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:40 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
+1 on the REMOVE POWER before fiddling with the servos. I ruined a servo by trying to mechanically trim by adjusting the connecting rods without removing power. Not sure why or how but moving the servo arm must induce voltage when the arm is moved with power on, and it ruins the servo. It may not happen every time but it will happen and you don't want to have to replace one just because you forgot to pull power.
Don
With the power on the servo's are live and will lock into their center position, so when you are fiddling around removing servo arms etc the servo will react to your movement.
Which puts pressure on the fragile gears and they collapse and shred their teeth that is why no matter what you are doing with the heli turn off the power or remove the battery.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
took my 9116 for a fly today. 4th time. getting a little better on the quick setting. but bearing in mind i've been flying helis for about 3 weeks, my first being a syma s800g, i think im doing alright. anyway. when flying i was going pretty fast and pulled back a little too hard i guess and this happened.

looks like the flybar bent down a bit and nicked the canopy. obviously this isnt supposed to happen but has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to prevent it other than being more smooth with the controls
RavoHimself is offline Find More Posts by RavoHimself
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
It happened to mine and is normal for almost everyone.

The easiest way to prevent it is by putting a piece of tape over the nose, so when it hits it, it ruins the tape, but the canopy is ok.

Rest assured it is almost impossible for it to hit the motherboard, but you should still have some protection over it.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Well that's good to know that its not mine. Why does it happen though? Pulling back on the stick should lift the blades away from the cockpit?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavoHimself View Post
Well that's good to know that its not mine. Why does it happen though? Pulling back on the stick should lift the blades away from the cockpit?
It's not the blades hitting the canopy - it's the flybar. If you try to brake - i.e. pulling hard back to stop from FF you lift the nose, but the flybar as a stabiliser will STAY horizontal for some time. Imagine what happens then...
Flybar strikes often occur due to sudden changes in elevator movements - it hits either the tail boom or - much worse - the canopy. There have been a lot of cases where the flybar crashed through the canopy and hit the PCB then, too. - a small contact is often enough to damage the gyro subboard or the crystal board. To prevent further damages, read there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
2 rules to minimise the damages:
1. Easy on the sticks - no sudden stick movements ( the 9116 isn't a bird for sport-flying anyway..) - fly it like a loaded school bus.
2. Throttle off before it crashes!

-mike-
edit: That doesn't mean school busses fly or should do so....
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Dec 12, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
^^^ wish i knew that before I was flying.

The canopy is there for a reason... Hitting the PCB is extremely unlikely. But, you should always have some sort of protection.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Liker I said. New to helis. What is ff? I knew it was the flybar that hit it. But that makes sense. I didn't realise it would be that sluggish.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
Frequent flyer miles. DUHHH

no really, forward flight is the reference.

I guess I should add full forward was the reference. Forward flight is the usual meaning of FF
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavoHimself View Post
Liker I said. New to helis. What is ff? I knew it was the flybar that hit it. But that makes sense. I didn't realise it would be that sluggish.
FF = Full/Fast Forward
No prob Ravo, feel yourself welcomed in a VERY addicting hobby.
For further beginners reading regarding the 9116 I recommend this: http://customers.skymesh.net.au/~mat...ech_manual.pdf

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
It happened to mine and is normal for almost everyone.

The easiest way to prevent it is by putting a piece of tape over the nose, so when it hits it, it ruins the tape, but the canopy is ok.

Rest assured it is almost impossible for it to hit the motherboard, but you should still have some protection over it.
No it can take out the PCB quite easily if you are too aggressive on the sicks so be careful and try to fly it with smooth inputs and back off the throttle slowly before you are ready to turn or stop.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:16 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,947 Posts
Deleted
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2012
38 Posts
I went to fly the 9116 today with a new main motor and I noticed that it cuts off sometimes without going too high or far away. Does the mosfet bypass resolve this issue?
Johnny01 is online now Find More Posts by Johnny01