SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
rexless's Avatar
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I'm leaving the hobby because I have some physical problems that make flying more and more difficult, mostly with one eye (hence the avatar). I'm thinking of buying a quad that has fail safes that would help me. The steam punk quad I'm building will just be a gentle flyer, for cruising around and local fly-ins. If I'm unable to fly it, my grandson will be happy to take over. I'll be posting in my blog about the steam punk quad. It's not an original idea. Somebody else thought of it first and started, but got stalled some months ago. I think their design was lacking practicality.
Have you looked at the Armattans?
I've been flying one for awhile (lost it so a new one is on the way). I'm looking at building one with the multiwii pro with GPS (return to home for safety) as a stable flier for cruising around doing some video and wearing pretty lights for the night sky.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Steve_'s Avatar
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,837 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:09 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Steve_'s Avatar
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,837 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:31 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
that bird almost sounded like the real thing i was shocked had the slight wine like a turbine and rotor wash noise
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Steve_'s Avatar
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,837 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
My 9116 has tail wag as well, and I can't find the source.

I think that we may have removed too much weight, and the
gyro sensitivity is too high now.

With no way to adjust that, not sure where to go from here.

I'm going to feel really dumb if I have to start putting weight back on...

I hope the DD mod fixes it, still waiting on the parts.

Is your tail actually wagging a significant amount? Mine just sort of twitches no more than about 1/4" if even that much. I thought maybe it was due to flying in the cold as jkoosh27 suggested, but I just tried it indoors and it did the same thing. It doesn't do it steadily either, just intermittently.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:55 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,467 Posts
.................
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,467 Posts
................
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
A 250 clone is close to the same size, but they also have much more lifting
capacity.

Not sure how a 9116 would handle the extra weight.

It might work mounted on my 9116, since it weighs 191 grams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYja84_P_Q
250 huh?, Vader have some stuff for that size? I'm petty sure my saber can handle it.
resago is offline Find More Posts by resago
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:42 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Steve_'s Avatar
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Is your tail actually wagging a significant amount? Mine just sort of twitches no more than about 1/4" if even that much. I thought maybe it was due to flying in the cold as jkoosh27 suggested, but I just tried it indoors and it did the same thing. It doesn't do it steadily either, just intermittently.
Mine was like yours is now before I trimmed the blades again and removed
another 8 grams.

Now it wags by over an inch.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:51 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Steve_'s Avatar
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,837 Posts
I just tried taping two nickels (10 grams) to the 9116 and flew it
around. Still had wag.

Then, without shutting off the radio or heli, I pulled them off to see
if there was a difference, and the wag went away ?!?

I'm stumped.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
I just tried taping two nickels (10 grams) to the 9116 and flew it
around. Still had wag.

Then, without shutting off the radio or heli, I pulled them off to see
if there was a difference, and the wag went away ?!?

I'm stumped.
it really sounds like the gyro acting up mine did that off and on for awhile till the pcb burnt up the new pcb i don't have that issue i can hover for about 6 sec without input of the sticks and the tail follows in a straight line when flying
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:12 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Steve_'s Avatar
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweenie View Post
it really sounds like the gyro acting up mine did that off and on for awhile till the pcb burnt up the new pcb i don't have that issue i can hover for about 6 sec without input of the sticks and the tail follows in a straight line when flying
My tail motor is dying, it's on 40+ flights, and started acting
up after 20.


Probably the problem.

At least I hope.. The parts to replace the tail are already paid for.

It also could be the way I mounted the battery. I skimped on servo tape,
and was just using velcro straps. One of the nickels was under a
strap, so when I pulled it off, it probably changed the way the battery
was mounted. It's really the only logical explanation for the change in
fight behavior. Nothing else was changed.

[ UPDATE ] It's not the battery or how it's mounted. Tried all kinds of
positions and mounting "tightness".

I suppose a bad gyro is possible. I flew into a fence the other day at WOT.
But I had slight wag before that.

Looks like my direct drive tail conversion is the next step, if I ever get it.
I ordered it a while ago.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:00 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
My tail motor is dying, it's on 40+ flights, and started acting
up after 20.


Probably the problem.

At least I hope.. The parts to replace the tail are already paid for.

It also could be the way I mounted the battery. I skimped on servo tape,
and was just using velcro straps. One of the nickels was under a
strap, so when I pulled it off, it probably changed the way the battery
was mounted. It's really the only logical explanation for the change in
fight behavior. Nothing else was changed.

[ UPDATE ] It's not the battery or how it's mounted. Tried all kinds of
positions and mounting "tightness".
then it has to be either the gyro or tail motor failing
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:09 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
rexless's Avatar
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I was considering one, but I think I might buy a DJI Phantom, I'll stress "might"; it's kind of expensive. I tried getting GPS mode, return to home, auto-level, altltude hold and IOC to work on several decent MultiWii boards, but it requires more channels and never really got them all to work right. The Phantom has all of that RTF.
Makes sense! I'd love to know how it goes!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Double Horse 9116 RC Helicopter 4 Channel 2.4Ghz RTF with Gyro thercguy Electric Heli Talk 4 Apr 16, 2013 03:13 AM
Question Double horse 9116 Heli capo58 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 3954 Dec 26, 2012 07:40 AM
Discussion New to Heli's - Double Horse 9116 or 9118 kamma1124 Coaxial Helicopters 19 Sep 28, 2012 10:08 PM
Question Starting with a new Double Horse 9116 Scotticism101 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 3 May 15, 2012 01:36 PM
Discussion 9116 Double Horse Daza1964 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 1 Mar 26, 2012 09:22 AM