SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Good work Steve,

Me and mick discused this motor but we never got around to trying it as people were more interested to go for the 180 Pro setup with a matching tail motor, But I found the 180 Pro to be 1 expensive and drew to much power from the PCB that the tail motor and servo's ect would loose power and be nill effective.

Also you had to bypass the mops as it would continualy cut the power to the motor.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Nov 26, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:13 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Deleted
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
The S031 tail motor will probably burn out at close to the same rate as stock,
but $3.39 every month beats $5.00 every month, and you get more thrust
with roughly the same current draw. Cheaper AND more powerful. Hard to beat.

Plus, it's less likely to mess up the PCB. Those tail motor plugs are not very rugged, and are designed
only for occasional disconnects. I know they are not rated to handle the current that goes through them.
The less you mess with them, the better.

These may even be the solution for the Extreme 180 main motor users complaining about tail authority.

Someone try it, and post your adventure
I have ordered a few of them and I have a few new Xtream 180 pro motors so I will let you know how it goes, I have also ordered a couple of the main motors as well as they are rated the same as the 9116 stock 180's and will test them.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,506 Posts
A little info

I've found that the tension on the screws that hold the little levers on the blade grips is critical. A little too much tension and a hovering helicopter will seem to have a mind of it's own, especially if it's been lightened. It will affect a stock helicopter to a lesser degree, requiring constant stick input as it tries to move first in this direction, then that direction,etc. If you remove a screw and look at the area right under the head you will find that it's beveled and tightening it too much spreads the end of the post that it screws into, increasing turning resistance. I lubricate it very sparingly with Tri-flow and with the connect buckles detached slowly tighten the screws until I feel light resistance to rotation, then back off the screws slightly. Of course you don't want them too loose either as that would just make it's already inherent sloppy control worse.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Hi everyone,
Sorry to hear about Mick, He was the same age as me when I had my MI. He, Mike and the rest of you even Blair14 have help create a spark in me that in just these past few months I've gone from a Drift King, Syma S107g, two DH 9116's, two V911's and I'm in the middle of building my first 450. It all started here on this thread.

Thank you all.

P.S. Remember eat right and flight hard.
NeilGerrard is offline Find More Posts by NeilGerrard
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
New Aviator
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Unintended Mod

So I got my new DH 9116 yesterday. So excited that I couldn't wait for the rain to stop outside, I decided to try flying it in my kitchen. One of my kids ran directly in the flight path so I had to maneuver away to avoid getting yelled at by my wife for hitting them with the blades. Long story short, I had a BAD crash. I broke off the pegs on the inner shaft that hold the fan clips in place (is it just me or does a boken inner shaft sound more like a severe medical problem than just deadlining a helicopter?)

I decided that since I would have to wait for a new part to be delivered anyway I would try to repair it. Simple solution if anyone has a similar problem:

Drill a 1/16 inch hole through the inner shaft where the plastic pegs protrude. Take a 1/16 inch nail and grind it into two pieces small enough that they will meet against the main shaft and protrude to fit in the holes in the fan clips. bolt it back together and you're in business...at least I am. The benefit, other than not having to wait for a new part, is that I reinforced the original plastic (obviously rather fragile, since it sheared the ends off) with metal, and I can repair it as often as necessary now.

I took it out for a short test flight (outside this time, I learned my lesson) and it flies better than it did out of the box.

Incidentally, this is my first 4ch heli. Before I have flown an Airhogs 2ch and two 3.5ch. The rudder being on the left stick rather than the right has me all thrown off. Anyone have any recommendations for training programs to get me used to the new configuration?
Drudail is offline Find More Posts by Drudail
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudail View Post
So I got my new DH 9116 yesterday. So excited that I couldn't wait for the rain to stop outside, I decided to try flying it in my kitchen. One of my kids ran directly in the flight path so I had to maneuver away to avoid getting yelled at by my wife for hitting them with the blades. Long story short, I had a BAD crash. I broke off the pegs on the inner shaft that hold the fan clips in place (is it just me or does a boken inner shaft sound more like a severe medical problem than just deadlining a helicopter?)

I decided that since I would have to wait for a new part to be delivered anyway I would try to repair it. Simple solution if anyone has a similar problem:

Drill a 1/16 inch hole through the inner shaft where the plastic pegs protrude. Take a 1/16 inch nail and grind it into two pieces small enough that they will meet against the main shaft and protrude to fit in the holes in the fan clips. bolt it back together and you're in business...at least I am. The benefit, other than not having to wait for a new part, is that I reinforced the original plastic (obviously rather fragile, since it sheared the ends off) with metal, and I can repair it as often as necessary now.

I took it out for a short test flight (outside this time, I learned my lesson) and it flies better than it did out of the box.

Incidentally, this is my first 4ch heli. Before I have flown an Airhogs 2ch and two 3.5ch. The rudder being on the left stick rather than the right has me all thrown off. Anyone have any recommendations for training programs to get me used to the new configuration?
Welcome Drudail!
You'll find some useful info in stormforce's tech manual here
Highly recommended to follow it before first use
If you encounter problems - have a look here first.
Theres no easy way getting used to the new stick settings coming from 3channel helis. Just take it easy and start ev. with rudds flight school.
have fun!
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Hi all

I am sure someone has commented in the past about trimming but there are sooooo many pages to look through.

My question is my heli flys well but has a tendency for the tail to continually turn to the right. I have put the trim far over to the left almost at its full settings but it still slowly will turn right.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks
jonnewbie is offline Find More Posts by jonnewbie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGerrard View Post
Hi everyone,
Sorry to hear about Mick, He was the same age as me when I had my MI. He, Mike and the rest of you even Blair14 have help create a spark in me that in just these past few months I've gone from a Drift King, Syma S107g, two DH 9116's, two V911's and I'm in the middle of building my first 450. It all started here on this thread.

Thank you all.

P.S. Remember eat right and flight hard.
Hi Neil,

How are ya haven't heard from you for a long time what have you been up to in the heli world.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:49 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnewbie View Post
Hi all

I am sure someone has commented in the past about trimming but there are sooooo many pages to look through.

My question is my heli flys well but has a tendency for the tail to continually turn to the right. I have put the trim far over to the left almost at its full settings but it still slowly will turn right.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks
Have you done the trimming in the subtrim menu yet?
In general this behaviour means the tail motor is dying - get a replacement ready
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Have you done the trimming in the subtrim menu yet?
In general this behaviour means the tail motor is dying - get a replacement ready
-mike-
Thanks mike,

Yup got a motor already on order

Will go into the subtrim menu and see how I go in the interim.

Is it still safe to fly like this?.....I have no prob controlling it atm but its not going to seize up mid flight is it?

Cheers
jonnewbie is offline Find More Posts by jonnewbie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,506 Posts
Typo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnewbie View Post
Hi all

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks
The trim controls the attitude of the nose, so if the tail is moving to the right you would want to move the trim to the right, not the left, to compensate. If it was just a typo and this is what you meant to ask, then it is almost certainly the tail motor dying. When I used to fly the heavy stock 9116 very aggressively I usually went through taill-motors inside of two weeks and sometimes within three days. On the other hand, my brother-in-law has been flying passively in slow mode for about three months now on the same tail-motor with no problem.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer