Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:43 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,428 Posts
Direct Drive Tail Mod

I proudly announce another Mini-How-To:

The Direct Drive Tail Mod

And yes, it SOLVES these 9116 tail problems - authority and durability at the same price of a stock tail.

Have fun!
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, WI, River Falls
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Alright guys I got one for ya... I have the chopper hovering well. I'm getting the hang of it. But, for some reason my aileron movements to the left are much more pronounced than to the right. If I'm hovering and try to float the heli right it moves ever so slowly. If I do it to the left, it darts as I'd expect it to. Do I have a servo issue? Maybe the left servo arm is hitting the canopy when it tries to push upward...
Sipple31 is offline Find More Posts by Sipple31
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,506 Posts
Check your tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipple31 View Post
Alright guys I got one for ya... I have the chopper hovering well. I'm getting the hang of it. But, for some reason my aileron movements to the left are much more pronounced than to the right. If I'm hovering and try to float the heli right it moves ever so slowly. If I do it to the left, it darts as I'd expect it to. Do I have a servo issue? Maybe the left servo arm is hitting the canopy when it tries to push upward...
Make sure the epa settings for aileron aren't messed up in your tx. Hold the stick to the left and set it, then hold the stick to the right and set it. You have a range of up to 120% each way.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Thanks Steve_ and Pa, I probably have a defective swashplate.

I have looked at the ZR Z101 (9116 clone) vids on youtube and the heli looks totally more stable than my 9116. I may have had a broken lug on the main shaft (both broken now) that would explain my probs, but I am unsure. I noticed the head parts of the ZR z101 are subtly different (swashplate very different) so I have ordered a full head. I will post back the results.

The swashplate is more like the V911, so I will have to jerry rig the offset vertical placeholder
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:45 PM
enter a new realm.....
Joined Dec 2012
320 Posts
slipper clutch??

I was at my local hobby store ( he only deals with e-flight and blade stuff) and a rotor blade for a blade SR caught my eye so I bought it ($1.89).....
I had an old broken 9116 blade (yes I keep all the parts even if there broke)
and with a razor and a #2 1/2 long wood srew and some washers, came up with this settup.....
I set it up on the bench and gave it full rudder and with a glove on my hand, I grabbed the rotor (dont try this at home)
motor and gears were turning but the blade was slippin,,when I let go ---it went back to normal,,
will try it this weekend at the park and from a hover ,hit back cyclic untill the tail sticks in the ground
the way I figure if it slips with no breakage--great--if the blade snaps,,,well its cheaper than a new tail unit...cant wait to fly it in the slop..
BTW I make my own tail booms so if that bends its not so bad..
simz is offline Find More Posts by simz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simz; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:26 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
623 Posts
slipper clutch??

I like.

What a great idea. Thanks.

Only thing I would worry about is the extra current drawn by the tail motor.
Might not be all that much though. Just thinking "electrically".

L..

ps. You might like to try a felt washer in there as well.
Rajah235 is offline Find More Posts by Rajah235
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,506 Posts
It never ends, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
I proudly announce another Mini-How-To:

The Direct Drive Tail Mod

And yes, it SOLVES these 9116 tail problems - authority and durability at the same price of a stock tail.

Have fun!
-mike-
Back on 11/23/12 I posted all the mods that I made on my 9116. At the time I thought that there really wasn't anything else that I could change on it to improve it's performance. Yeah, right.

Since then I've trimmed the blades, put heavier wire on the main motor, raised the battery, (thanks Steve), changed out the servos, put ball links on the servo arms, lightened the flybar weights more and put a hybrid 9116/9104 swashplate on it.

Now I'm going to have to do the direct drive tail motor conversion eventually. Eventually because I have 9 spare stock tail motors to use up first. (Thanks, mikefromgermany).

So then I'll be all finished with it, right? RIGHT???
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:23 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Joined Dec 2012
623 Posts
Right, but you're having a lot of fun doing it, aren't you?
& that's part of this hobby.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:44 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,506 Posts
Yes, it is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah235 View Post
Right, but you're having a lot of fun doing it, aren't you?
& that's part of this hobby.
You're right. I have to admit that it's almost as much working on them and testing out the mods as it is flying them.(Almost!) What's really great about this bird is that there is plenty of room for improvement over stock and the parts are dirt cheap so it's no big deal if you ruin anything along the way.

I just read on another site and watched the Utube video of a great idea. The guy painted just the top of his main rotor florescent orange to help with determining which way it's banking when he loses orientation way out there.

I'm off to the store now for a can of spray paint for my next "last" improvement!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
You're right. I have to admit that it's almost as much working on them and testing out the mods as it is flying them.(Almost!) What's really great about this bird is that there is plenty of room for improvement over stock and the parts are dirt cheap so it's no big deal if you ruin anything along the way.

I just read on another site and watched the Utube video of a great idea. The guy painted just the top of his main rotor florescent orange to help with determining which way it's banking when he loses orientation way out there.

I'm off to the store now for a can of spray paint for my next "last" improvement!
Or do something like me - taking some luminescend paint and add some REAL dangerous UV-LEDs
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733392
(There are some tests on my workbench with enlighted props and blades in such manner)
Should look like this when finished
SUPER MQX V929 QUADCOPTER HELICES LUMINEUSES NIGHT BLADE LIGHT LED (filmé du bas) (1 min 21 sec)

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:49 AM
enter a new realm.....
Joined Dec 2012
320 Posts
R&d

well Im into the whole research and development thing--that slipper clutch was $ 1.89 for the blade and 3 cents worth of washers compared to $10 - $15 for a replacement tail section --$10 for the part and about $5 S/H,,,,I HATE waiting for stuff in the mail...
more so, I hate driving to the field to fly my planes and break a 2 cent part when I could have engineered something at the shop to prevent the downtime in the first place....
Im all about modding things up --but for near $0 cost..
I could make a gear drive or even a belt drive for this bird----but why??
it defeats the whole purpose--I want to fly and not be benched for it..while still having a fat wallet,,,Im just shareing low cost alternatives and ideas,,kinda the purpose of this thread......well back to the shop...keep the ideas flowing..
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 450 PRO FP build
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:08 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Joined Dec 2012
623 Posts
simz,
Just in case you missed it...

[q]ps. You might like to try a felt washer in there as well.[/q]

It may save a little wear 'n tear on those expensive parts.

& We don't want that now, do we?

L..

ps. Have you run a check on how much current is drawn under the stall condition yet?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
enter a new realm.....
Joined Dec 2012
320 Posts
slipper clutch

expensive parts....HA....no I didnt do a amp draw reading as the slipper only engages it crash situation -btw I did see your post on using felt but like I said only severe trauma makes it engage in in effort it save motor, gears and maybe the PCB. so you can keep on flyin without having to go home to fix it or have a field service situation where parts are sure to be lost in the grass
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simz; Jan 11, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:28 PM.