Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,707 Posts
Deleted
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
yah I was using a bit of foam. but really I am not sure exactly where to mount it, one of the skids, under the light. on top of the canopy etc. thats what I am looking for.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts

I don't know whats going on, but my new DH9116 has a problem I cant figure out. When I set it on a table and add power it cuts out right away. It does this every time. When I pick it up and hold it in my hand it powers up normally, every time. I haven't tried it out doors yet as there is snow on the ground. What could cause this? also how many ma's is the battery? I know its 7.4 volts.I want to get an extra one. PS this is my first Heli other than a Syma 107s
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,433 Posts
Brand New DH9116 cutting out. (0 min 39 sec)

I had this too. I had to solder a bypass for the red wire loop to get it to work. I've read this may not be a great fix though.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 2 View Post
I don't know whats going on, but my new DH9116 has a problem I cant figure out. When I set it on a table and add power it cuts out right away. It does this every time. When I pick it up and hold it in my hand it powers up normally, every time. I haven't tried it out doors yet as there is snow on the ground. What could cause this? also how many ma's is the battery? I know its 7.4 volts.I want to get an extra one. PS this is my first Heli other than a Syma 107s
It is called MOPS failure.
bang it up to ~40%, don't let it slowly spool up. (this prob generally vanishes as the motor got run in)
or do the MOPS-Bypass, you'll find there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
for spare batts look for some 800-850mAH 2S LiPo batts (no more weight than 50gr, the best are around 40gr).
They can be charged with the stock charger, but as this cheap one isn't really reliable you should consider adding a decent charger on your shopping list. Any B6 clone would do at regular circumstances - I recommend an accucell6, though.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bB-8PW-dHso
I had this too. I had to solder a bypass for the red wire loop to get it to work. I've read this may not be a great fix though.
Yep this is exactly what mine is doing.I will check into the fix you recommend. Thanks for the fast response.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts
Trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
It is called MOPS failure.
bang it up to ~40%, don't let it slowly spool up. (this prob generally vanishes as the motor got run in)
or do the MOPS-Bypass, you'll find there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
for spare batts look for some 800-850mAH 2S LiPo batts (no more weight than 50gr, the best are around 40gr).
They can be charged with the stock charger, but as this cheap one isn't really reliable you should consider adding a decent charger on your shopping list. Any B6 clone would do at regular circumstances - I recommend an accucell6, though.
-mike-
Mike thanks for your quick response. I will look over the info you provided and see what I can do. Thanks again. D2
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,196 Posts
My thing about hearing all these claims (and it's not just here) about how smooth how fast etc. etc. is that the only video I think we have seen is at night and the helicopter can hardly be seen so we have to go by the narration. I think my point is over the years I followed RCG for a long time and finally joined the groups a few years ago I'm an old fart didn't want to get involved I was happy just reading and learning picking up new tricks 42 years with RC hobby so I think I have a slight understanding. I read about so many mods to this helicopter and that helicopter, and then people read and play follow the leader because they don't know any better. Then have done mods that someone else claimed to work so good! but never provided any thing to show it! Sometimes people can't/won't admit their mods don't work and just disapear from the groups or just ignore anybody that questions them, and people doing others mods ended up with a completely destroyed helicopter of their own. Not Picking on anybody this is just what I have observed over time so anybody thinking about using someone else's mods use caution if it can not be reversed back to where you started from unless there is good proof it actually works. Agian I'm not picking on any one just making a broad statement this goes for anything plane, boat, car,
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,707 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,462 Posts
You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
With the modded blades, RPM increases, but not past what a heavy
stock 9116 needs to lift off.
40% throttle to lift off before trimming blades, now it's around 55-60%.
The truth and logic of this statement eluded me the first time I read this post. You're absolutely right. I trimmed my existing set (the original set that I trimmed I destroyed trying to practice nose- in hovering in my basement).

The mid point on my throttle curve is 55% and that's also where mine lifts off. The hover is hands-off again. Didn't get a chance to try it outdoors because of darkness. After moving the battery higher as you suggested I think I'll probably be more impressed with it outdoors also.

I'm going to hate to see you put yours on the shelf and move on. I've really enjoyed reading about your successive mods and their influence on the 9116's flight, but I guess you probably have taken it about as far as you can with mostly stock pieces.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,462 Posts
Yes you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
My thing about hearing all these claims (and it's not just here) about how smooth how fast etc. etc. is that the only video I think we have seen is at night and the helicopter can hardly be seen so we have to go by the narration. I think my point is over the years I followed RCG for a long time and finally joined the groups a few years ago I'm an old fart didn't want to get involved I was happy just reading and learning picking up new tricks 42 years with RC hobby so I think I have a slight understanding. I read about so many mods to this helicopter and that helicopter, and then people read and play follow the leader because they don't know any better. Then have done mods that someone else claimed to work so good! but never provided any thing to show it! Sometimes people can't/won't admit their mods don't work and just disapear from the groups or just ignore anybody that questions them, and people doing others mods ended up with a completely destroyed helicopter of their own. Not Picking on anybody this is just what I have observed over time so anybody thinking about using someone else's mods use caution if it can not be reversed back to where you started from unless there is good proof it actually works. Agian I'm not picking on any one just making a broad statement this goes for anything plane, boat, car,
It's pretty obvious from your post that you are indeed picking on someone. I can verify that his mods work because I've made many of the same mods with the same results. When any of his mods didn't work he immediately posted the results. Every question was answered. I, and I am sure others also, appreciate the time and effort he put into his mods and the posts for our benefit. So let's be fair and not lump all experimenters into one category.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,707 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,707 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:17 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,707 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
I was thinking of getting a V911 for inside, but after watching a few videos,
it looks kind of boring. Am I crazy?

Maybe I shouldn't have watched the video of the guy testing his new
battery hovering for 7 minutes
I love all the mod reports, especially ones with video. OK post a lot of video in the f45 thread and more recently the armattan thread. I'm not using the 9116 much as it sucks for winter, but I am looking at lifting the battery and reducing the weight - that might make it more interesting. If it fails I lose nothing really.

I like the V911 as a trainer or something to fly in a small space. I take mine camping in the summer as it's perfect for zipping around the trees. It's one of my favourites.

Thanks guys!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member