Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Yes, I really need to get a micro CP.

They have little mass, and are harder to break.

From what I understand, if you can fly one of those, you are all
set, and can fly almost anything.

The quads are supposed to be great trainers, but I just don't like
how they look. It's like a flying battery with props, with none of
mystic complexity that helicopters bring to the table.

[ rambling idiot - content deleted ]

There is something about the beauty of the flybar equipped
CP heads, with all the bearings, links and levers that holds my
interest. It sure sucks to work on them, though.
I'm on my second micro CP now - and you are right. If you can fly any of them - you may fly really every bigger CP.
And even as I really have tons of fun with hthem, i still like the relaxed feeling when flying a 9116 or 9958 for a batt.
My new MCPX BL really takes all I can offer - too much power in a QUICK frame. Clenched buttocks included....
But not crashed yet (knock on wood).
It paid off to have the MCPX V1 as a learning CP heli - it took a lot of crashes without major damages - I spent around 50 USD for spares in 3 months.

And it also paid off learning with a quad before the CP, too - I would have spent four times the money in spares for the MCPX without a cheap 40 USD quad (spares I needed for this - 3 batts, 8 props and one CF boom - worth ~ 12 USD - the batts still are running strong).

So for everybody who wants to get to CP on a some easier way - take a leaf out of my book and get a quad first.

This "cranky old fart" posting here sometimes was right and still is right with this recommendation. Period.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:03 PM
enter a new realm.....
Joined Dec 2012
320 Posts
Mike and "cranky" are right in there own respects.....a quad is good to help learn a cp environment and the micro or nano cp birds are good also as far as durability is concerned....
I decided to learn cp with a mcpx v2 and learn I did ---like for instance- drink alot of coffee, shut off the phone, and lock your doors cause it requires all of your attention and its NOT a form of stress relief,,
I thought about a quad, but Im old school and like scale flying (altough 3-d in a heli is not considered scale flying) and quads look unnatural...
kinda like trying to pass off a trike as a motorcycle...
darn ---more snow is falling.......
simz is offline Find More Posts by simz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simz; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling---duh
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simz View Post
Mike and "cranky" are right in there own respects.....a quad is good to help learn a cp environment and the minco or nano cp birds are good also as far as durability is concerned....
I decided to learn cp with a mcpx v2 and learn I did ---like for instance- drink alot of coffee, shut off the phone, and lock your doors cause it requires all of your attention and its NOT a form of stress relief,,
I thought about a quad, but Im old school and like scale flying (altough 3-d in a heli is not considered scale flying) and quads look unnatural...
kinda like trying to pass off a trike as a motorcycle...
darn ---more snow is falling.......
lmfao yep windy cold and light snow here in wv also it sent my 9116 on the roof of the house
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
So i'm getting tired of this 9116 I feel its like a big money sink - with motors and batteries ugh!

I don't crash them but sometimes they fly just fine others times they don't get off the ground... so probably another motor again (like last time)

I'm almost to a point where i'll drop $200 into something better quality unless all these helicopters going to do the same thing? i.e burn motors / kill batteries.. I get about 20-30 flights and then something happens.. is this to be expected? I don't want a micro - cos I like flying outside.. the 9116 does nice in light wind and in the garage i'm just sick of the motors burning up - I have 5 batteries and 2 x 9116 and when everything works I can get some good practice in... the small purchases for motors are adding up ... do you keep going or bite the bullet and go for something more expensive but will last more flights... I don't even fly them hard just practice hovering in different directions.... any advise would be great - maybe you have to throw money at these things while you practice just not sure... I got the stuff for this tail mod so maybe that might help
TheSwing is offline Find More Posts by TheSwing
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
cut cut cut... ****!
United States, PA, Birdsboro
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
I'm on my second micro CP now - and you are right. If you can fly any of them - you may fly really every bigger CP.
And even as I really have tons of fun with hthem, i still like the relaxed feeling when flying a 9116 or 9958 for a batt.
My new MCPX BL really takes all I can offer - too much power in a QUICK frame. Clenched buttocks included....
But not crashed yet (knock on wood).
It paid off to have the MCPX V1 as a learning CP heli - it took a lot of crashes without major damages - I spent around 50 USD for spares in 3 months.

And it also paid off learning with a quad before the CP, too - I would have spent four times the money in spares for the MCPX without a cheap 40 USD quad (spares I needed for this - 3 batts, 8 props and one CF boom - worth ~ 12 USD - the batts still are running strong).

So for everybody who wants to get to CP on a some easier way - take a leaf out of my book and get a quad first.

This "cranky old fart" posting here sometimes was right and still is right with this recommendation. Period.

-mike-
Hey mike when you say get a quad do you mean like a 4ch quad? I got one fairly cheap and am not far from having enough for a micro cp. It has definitely helped but I wasn't sure how it aids in the cp learning curve.

(sorry to get off topic guys)
jkoosh27 is offline Find More Posts by jkoosh27
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,267 Posts
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:20 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The 9116 is a very cheap entry level heli meant to teach some very basic skills, and keep your interest for a month or two, at most. But, for the tinkerers, it's a great source of entertainment. It's probably the lowest quality heli being sold now. You can certainly do better, but you do have to exercise some common sense and decide what goals you wish to accomplish, not just what should I buy next? Too many people develop an itch for a certain model they just have to have and basically can't be talked out of it. They come here and ask, but they have usually made up their minds already and are just looking affirmation. The best advise I can give and the most frequently ignored is don't ask other beginners.
hey balr you still have that hbct and did you ever get it to work out for you
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
Still crashing my CP's
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,661 Posts
Content Removed due to the fact that I do not agree with forum policy
here, and do not want them generating profit with my content.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Most of us have been down this road... motor after motor.

Best you can do is a good brushless CP.
And they are way under $200. Pa Flyer and Resago both have Wasps,
ask them what they think about them.

If they are anything like my HK250GT (they are) your heart will skip
a beat the first time you spool it up.

Higher pitch gears and no tail motor equal a sound that is incredible.
You will look at your 9116 with shame.

If you fly that much, take the plunge.

The reason I keep messing with the 9116 is because I want a dual
purpose bird. One that is bigger than a micro, and is stable
enough for a beginner to fly.

Then you crank up the rates, and zip around at a good clip, never
worried that you won't have the money for a crash.
That's refreshing to know that everyone is in the same boat - I guess looking back the 9116 has served it's purpose for me - Its giving me the ability to easy from the sim to real world - It wouldn't be so bad if I was smashing this thing up and dumping money into repairing it :-)

I'll check out the wasp reviews ty
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:29 PM
Still crashing my CP's
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,661 Posts
MJX-F645 Trimmed Blades

Content Removed due to the fact that I do not agree with forum policy
here, and do not want them generating profit with my content.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
dont take the plunge to a 450 cp...Cause when you crash them they tend to cost you money....I have been lucky with mine so far havent crashed it other then when the tail messed up and.....well long story lol and the only damage it done was main blades and i put a new tail on it to be safe from the other screw letting loose again..From what the older guys are saying a nice quad will help you make the transition to a cp heli easier....

I still beat my 9116 around just for kicks to see how brave i am or to keep from getting rusty as the weather is not very good around here lately
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
377 Posts
Does anyone know if the wasp will bind to the 9x?
resago is offline Find More Posts by resago
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jan 2013
108 Posts
The 9116 is a cheap, fun to fly helicopter. It takes no effort other than charging it to fly it. I have had, like everyone else, parts break. What do you expect from something made of plastic. The direct drive tail motor is the only mod. It is cheap to repair when something goes wrong. It is fun to tinker with trying to get it to fly better. I take mine out several times a day and fly it.
On the other hand, I have a 500. Costs alot more, parts are more and do to size, is easy to break. You just don't go fly it. Everything has to be perfect to fly or you will crash. I flew my 9116 with a dead servo. You wont do it with a CP. I like the 500, but the 9116 is so easy to fly and fix when it breaks.
Ocoast is offline Find More Posts by Ocoast
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,267 Posts
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocoast View Post
The 9116 is a cheap, fun to fly helicopter. It takes no effort other than charging it to fly it. I have had, like everyone else, parts break. What do you expect from something made of plastic. The direct drive tail motor is the only mod. It is cheap to repair when something goes wrong. It is fun to tinker with trying to get it to fly better. I take mine out several times a day and fly it.
On the other hand, I have a 500. Costs alot more, parts are more and do to size, is easy to break. You just don't go fly it. Everything has to be perfect to fly or you will crash. I flew my 9116 with a dead servo. You wont do it with a CP. I like the 500, but the 9116 is so easy to fly and fix when it breaks.
I see your point - nicely put thanks! I guess because I have been brought up on the 9116 I don't realize what lies ahead in the CP world