SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
BumbleBee flip on take off

Hi All,
Iím new to quadcopters and recently bought my new BumbleBee ARF. Now when I want to take off it seems that my quad wants to flip over to the right (seen from behind) and I need to immediately shutdown the throttle and therefor are unable to hover.

It happened before, and it took me a propeller because of the flip. So I changed the props (M1 to M2 and M2 to M1 same for M3 and M4) but then the quad did not lift anymore and a weird sound appeared. So I put the props back on where they belong. I also checked the rotation per engine and all seem to rotate fine (right directions) M1 = CCW M2 = CW M3 = CCW M4 = CW. All engines are connected to the right port on de BB FC (such like m1 to m1, double checked this!) I also checked my propeller positions, all letters are up, so no propellers upside down. Brand new AR6210 receiver is added. So, Iím really out of options ...

Is there anyone who faced this problem before? What am I doing wrong? (BTW: I have not calibrated my ESCís as such is not described in the manual) Ė Does anybody did this before with the BB ?

Thanks in advance!

David
heliaddictNL is offline Find More Posts by heliaddictNL
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,213 Posts
Check the mounting direction off the BumbleBee unit and in the software. Also you do need to calibrate the ESCs.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:02 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,808 Posts
Are the CW propellors on the CR motors, and the CCW props on the CCW motors?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Hi Michael64

Thanks for your reply. I've finished my software (calibration?) (I thought it was for the travel of my sticks only) However I thought that I should connect the ESC to the throttle of my rx and calibrate it (as I usually do) but the manual does not suggest me to do this. But I've done as you mentioned already.

Mounting of the FC is done correctly as far as I can see, because there is a red arrow pointing to the front of my quad, same as the manual describes. Or do you mean something else?

----
Hi Daskim,

Yes all props and motor directions are checked more than twice, as you can read in my post. thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Hi folks,

I've figured out the problem. I've used the altitude mode during the take off. I've switched this on my second try, to the manual mode, put the throttle up and the baby is flying ;-) but you must be quick during take off, meaning push the throttle at least to 55 to 60% at once and then push it back gently to 50% for hovering (in altitude mode) In manual mode it's also possible by hand. Very stable quad!

Thanks Michael64 and dakim for your prompt response!

D.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,213 Posts
heliaddictNL
Glad to see you got it in the air. With a multi they do not take off like a regular heli does its best to just spool up and take off quickly then reduce the throttle a bit after its about 4-5 foot off the ground and out of ground effect. Landing is same thing you commit to lank and you land otherwise ground effect well make it wobble when close to the ground. Once a person gets use to it it will become less of a concern because you will know how to correct for each situation. Now you can just go have fun.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64