HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Nov 2005
163 Posts
Discussion
DJI Warranty issues???

Hey guys,

I just need to vent a bit and see if you can offer any assistance. I'm new to the multirotors and after seeing several at the flying field, I did some research and decided on purchasing a DJI F550 with the NAZA and GPS. I ordered the F550 package from Robert at UAVProducts at the end of September. My son and I built the F550 as per the instructions and had flown the F550 six times with absolutely no issues. We had everything working perfectly including the turn the transmitter off and watch it return to home perfectly.

On the 7th flight, one of the DJI 10" props broke in flight about 50 feet up. The F550 started drifting right very hard and would not respond even with full left. After about 10 seconds, the F550 flipped upside down, motors cut off and it lawn-darted in inverted. The crash broke every arm, the top plate and the GPS mount.

I had purchased a spare frame with the initial order so we rebuilt the F550 to see if the NAZA and GPS still functioned properly. The NAZA appears to work but the GPS will now not lock on. After many attempts to recalibrate the GPS it appears that the GPS is toast. The motors appear to be ok but I'm now leary of using them.

I contacted Robert at UAVProducts and he told me to contact DJI directly. DJI responded that they were sorry for my crash and told me to work the issue through Robert at UAVProducts. Since the DJI prop was the cause of the crash, I feel that DJI should replace the frame and GPS at the very least. However, since the motors hit the ground hard enough to break all of the arms, I would also like them to replace the motors as well.

I have been emailing back and forth with Robert for the past couple of weeks with no satisifaction. DJI supposedly has not sent him authorization to replace my broken parts so I purchased a new frame, motors and GPS from Robert to get my F550 back in the air. Robert did give me a 15% discount on the replacement parts but I still feel like DJI should do something. The crash was not pilot error. The crash was a direct result of the faulty DJI props. I have since learned that MANY people have had this exact same probelm with the DJI props. I have purchased a full set of Graupner props and will NEVER use the DJI props again.

Am I wrong to think that DJI and UAVProducts should step up and send me replacement parts for free?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Tim.
Valkyrie_1520 is offline Find More Posts by Valkyrie_1520
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
990 Posts
Fit for purpose?

I did not use DJI props for this very reason after reading lots of bad reports about them. I think you are right to push for this.

Not sure if its the same in other countries but here in the UK a product has to be "fit for purpose" if not you have a good case. As far as I can see these props are not fit for purpose.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
504 Posts
The DJI props are not the best, they will break, but not during normal use. They only brake with bigger battery's and/or a payload.
Also, the issue is known for months, DJI warns us for those props.

It's hard to judge in this case, but I can understand that you and DJI both have a point.

I think best for you is to buy spares (and Graupner props) a.s.a.p. and go fly. The sooner you forget this matter, the better it is for you.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
170 Posts
Boy do I have a lot to say but I'll keep it simple.

Email DJI support and once you have the email trail of approval forward it to your dealer...
DesJardins is offline Find More Posts by DesJardins
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
The DJI props are not the best, they will break, but not during normal use. They only brake with bigger battery's and/or a payload.
Also, the issue is known for months, DJI warns us for those props.

It's hard to judge in this case, but I can understand that you and DJI both have a point.

I think best for you is to buy spares (and Graupner props) a.s.a.p. and go fly. The sooner you forget this matter, the better it is for you.
I purchased the replacement parts and they should be here in the next day or so and I will be flying again this weekend. However, I'm still pissed off and I am not about to let the matter just slip by without a fight.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
I purchased two complete NAZA GPS units from Robert UAV Products in October of this year. First Naza GPS worked great, no issue. Second one acted strange off the bat. After only three minutes on the first flight the Y6 on the maiden voyage went in hard to the left with no warning. At first we thought it was a bad battery. Rebuilt the multi this time in a Hex configuration and the same thing happened. After three minutes hard in to the left.

Tested everything after the second crash and found nothing wrong. Re-calibrated esc, checked motors, batteries, props with no issues.

Called Robert and he IMMEDIATELY exchanged the NAZA Unit for a new one. No questions.
Never had to call DJI.

Both NAZA's now fly great.

One thing we did do. Put black electrical tape on both sides of the naza units. We were noticing when the sun was hitting the left side of the Naza Unit it would yaw and fly in very unpredictable ways. Now no issues.

Thanks Robert
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
The reason they probably won't do anything for you is because they do not know if that prop was cracked on a previous tip over. I've been flying for months and still have one on occasion. If you flew with a cracked prop (they are often pretty much invisible) then you are responsible.

Problem is, how could you prove otherwise? Is there video?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Am in a mellow mood so ill let this opportunity pass me,
I hope DJI-HQ sort you out. if not report right back here, and I shall help you slay the dragon.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
Good on yeh Hexa, Always getting involved!!
hex junky is offline Find More Posts by hex junky
Last edited by hex junky; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Wink wink. 😉
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,244 Posts
Props break, all props break. I always check the prop at the hub for micro cracks, little white lines that indicate the prop is ready to fail. I replace them rather than fall out of the sky. I don't know how many thousands of dollars I have spent on repairing parts that have failed from other manufactures. Would they warrant them, heck no. If you look at what DJI has done with the S800, esc issue, then the GPS. How many frames did they replace, plus I think a couple of Z-15's. 10's of thousands of dollars. They were the ones the figured out the GPS problem that was causing the FOD. See what kind of support you get from MK for their products. I am sorry for your crash. It happens to all of us, we fix the damage, learn from the experience and fly again. If you expected your first purchase would not crash and things would not break, you had unrealistic expectations about the sport. I got out of large single rotor helis because of the expense of a crash, not that I didn't enjoy flying them. Robert is a great guy and treats his customers well. If he offered you a discount say thank you and move on. I doubt that DJI will give you most of a complete F550 kit because a prop broke. I broke two opposing DJI props on an F550 not as high up as you and I was able to bring it down hard on asphalt. Damage two broken props. Sorry, I hope that you do get some flying in soon. Just an FYI Graupner props break as well, I fly them on my F330, F450 and Discovery. Check the props at the root for cracks before every flight.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
My experience as a noob with an F450 is that the DJI prop hubs can be cracked pretty easily if overtightened. But the props are somehwhat flexible and resilient and are good for new flyers. I also have the inexpensive Gemfan props from UAV. They are more brittle and even if they luckily survive a minor crash, I've had one that broke shortly thereafter in the air. So in the future I'll replace all props after a crash and then check them carefully before flying with them again/ I don't think either prop will break for "no reason."

So maybe there are better props out there and you'll have to investigate. But since I am new I am using the DJIs with a bit of Loctite on the nuts and I'm careful how I torque the nuts. I'll report back after a few more weeks of flying. Perhaps DJI could have made a better choice of props for machines that are often bought by noobs.

BTW I haven't had that many crashes... most were due to my overtightening and none were serious. But I have been trying to fly some on manual so it is taking a bit of a toll on props.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Nov 2005
163 Posts
The F550 had never been tipped over and never had a blade strike. It flew perfectly and only needed a bit of gain adjustment to remove a slight wobble after it was completed. The blades were not overtightened. The blade broke about 3 inches from the prop hub in a hover.
Last edited by Valkyrie_1520; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
a brand new flyer and a prop NEVER touched anything? You never bumped it putting it in the car? Never put a 1/4 turn too much on the prop nut? You do realize how unlikely this all sounds to people. I'm not calling you a liar but if it is true you are the 1%. I've been EXTREMELY lucky to only have lost 2-3 props in my entire flying career and one of those I suspected to have a crack and replaced just to make sure.

Robert does treat his customers very well but he seems to go MIA every once in a while. Real life happens I suspect.

I had decent luck with the DJI props but if I were you I would look into replacing them, they are a known weak point.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Nov 2005
163 Posts
I'm far from a brand new flyer. I've been flying R/C for over 30 years now. Yes, it never had a tip over and I was always very careful with the props. I'll just chalk it all up to a learning experience and move on. I still think that DJI should quit shipping these known faulty props with their kits. Putting $3 worth of props on an $800 hexacopter was a lapse of judgement on my part. My replacement parts have arrived and the hex will be rebuilt this week. Graupner props will be going on from this point forward.

Consider this issue resolved.

Thanks.

Tim.