HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
I've never thought Ultracoat backing was difficult to peel off at all...... The backing on Solite a real bugger to peel off. I guess the trick with it is to use a bit of scotch tape to help pull it away.
Fred
Same here on the Ultracote/Solite. I made little tape handles to help with the Solite. Take 2 pieces of tape, and fold an end on each to make a handle and in the process covering about 1/2 of the adhesive so they won't stick to each other in the next step. Then apply a piece on each side of the piece directly opposite of each other. I found that placing them directly opposite each other really helps.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:32 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,837 Posts
Wednesday night, I saw another Cub with the same problem with Super Monokote that I had with ours. Like the SM used on ours, this guy's changed color when really heated AND STAYED CHANGED. Like my wife's Cub, this guy's cub has patches of different shades of SM.

Those of us who've been using SM for years (I started with it around 1970) remember how it would melt if overheated. Get too close with the heat gun and BLAM, you had a hole. Now, it doesn't melt; instead, it changes color and stays that new color. So, we have a Cub with blotches I'm seriously considering stripping the Cub and recovering it with Ultracote.

Don't get me started on how many different versions of transparent SM there've been....

Tower can insist that the formula for SM hasn't changed, but, as I said, I've been using it almost steadily for over 40 years, and I've seen it change.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:39 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,947 Posts
.... And I won't buy an airplane that's covered in MK,... ie a buddy's plane, or an ARF (rarely). So no Great Planes products,... Etc for me,.... reason, repairs and patches

Fred
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Confirmation, just what I wanted to here. I have only covered one plane with ultracote and it turned out so nice I'm doing another and all I used is an iron. I have the heat gun and may use it on the sheeted wings with a glove following to push out air, it's too easy to skip a spot with a iron and get a air pocket. It's like everything else, do a test piece or two to get a feel for it before you start on the plane.

I have heard and read about problems with monocote and am not going to spend the money just to find out if they are true, to each his own I say.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post

Tower can insist that the formula for SM hasn't changed, but, as I said, I've been using it almost steadily for over 40 years, and I've seen it change.

CD
YEARS ago I had problems with Monocote shattering. Old thread --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110528
It appeared to start right after they changed their packaging. I took a sample to Toledo one year. After getting the royal run-around from them, the one guy told me that hadn't changed anything in years; all they did was alter the polymer...... Gee isn't that a change??????

That is why I swore off Monocote so many years ago.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:47 PM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
501 Posts
I think that I have covered at least 30 planes with the 'old' monocote in years past.
I'm currently recovering an old Electricus that I built in the 80's and after using the 'new' monocote I seriously doubt that I ever cover a plane with it again. What a pain!
It doesn't shrink like the old stuff.
What I am experiencing is that once it is sealed in place and you go to shrink it that it expands and wrinkles up and then shrinks. The shrink temp is VERY close to the burn temp, most likly less than 5 degrees. I'd never before burned a hole when covering, and just on the bottom of the wing I had three.
If I didn't want to match the color scheme I would defiantly tear it off and try a different covering.
The 'New' Super Monocote isn't so SUPER in my opinion.
GarryOgilvie is online now Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
I probably bought the first rolls of monocote, but apparently my skills are fading....I used to do just fine,but since it hasn't "changed" it's gotta be me, right? uh huh.

I'm doing so well with Ultracote, that even if they change Monocote back, I still won't trust it.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:00 PM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
501 Posts
I finished recovering my wing this morning with monocote and I'm glad that I'm no longer in a flying club, it would be too embarrassing to show off the fine job I did on this one.
I've never used ultracote before, but it has to be better than "super Monocote"
GarryOgilvie is online now Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryOgilvie View Post
I finished recovering my wing this morning with monocote and I'm glad that I'm no longer in a flying club, it would be too embarrassing to show off the fine job I did on this one.
I've never used ultracote before, but it has to be better than "super Monocote"
Now's your chance to compare-If you use Ultracote to replace it, you'll be looking for a club to join!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:03 PM
Ivan Dubrov
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined May 2009
14 Posts
Used MonoKote to cover by Piper J-3 Cub in extremely rare Cub Yellow color (my first kit).

Didn't have any major issues with it. The job is not perfect by any means, but I covered it almost wrinkle free (there are few on wing tips). Sticks very well, does not come off on seams even with heat gun blowing on maximum power, no color changes as well, shrinks enough to make open-structure covering drum-tight. I came prepared, though, thanks to Bruce (brucea).

Trim applications came out much worse (should have used right technology to apply them), probably not material fault.

I can't compare with other coverings, though. I did cover other plane with AeroLite (So-Lite), ultra-micro from Stevens Aero, but, I think, it does not count -- it is too small to make any conclusions (although I did notice it likes to stick to itself and is very temperature-sensitive).

I think I will try Ultracote next time, just for comparison. I am little bit worried about its glue strength on seams (I saw few reports that it can come off if you heat it too much), but looks like almost everybody is excited about it in general.
WFrag is offline Find More Posts by WFrag
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:47 PM
Lynnwood, wa
Joined Oct 2007
91 Posts
Ultracote when peeled off it's backing does not have an odor. Monocote on the other hand, when you peel off the backing and quickly wad it up and place it over your nose, you can see through time!
Vethraxx is offline Find More Posts by Vethraxx
Last edited by Vethraxx; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Roflmao
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vethraxx View Post
Ultracote when peeled off it's backing does not have an odor. Monocote on the other hand, when you peel off the backing and quickly wad it up and place it over your nose, you can see through time!
That was an attractive scent.......
RCG Plus Member