SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Monocopter

Started working on a monocopter
Completed the first phase of making it hover (though still modifications are to be made)
Video
Based on model by Evan R.Ulrich
Working on maneuvering part at present
sudhiruday31 is offline Find More Posts by sudhiruday31
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,004 Posts
Same here
PICT1052.AVI (0 min 17 sec)

PICT1418 (0 min 23 sec)

PICT1350
cheers
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
So, how do you steer something like that?

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,004 Posts
It's a free flight craft
regards
Sam
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
it can be steered by giving a cyclic pitch to flap. it has to be done electronically .
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:43 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhiruday31 View Post
it can be steered by giving a cyclic pitch to flap. it has to be done electronically .
Failed after intensive trying & testing
so just treat it as free flight toy for the moment
hope you can give it a shot
regards
Sam
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
It would be great if someone could figure out a good way of controlling a monocopter. I think if the electronic position feedback can be worked out, the actual flight controls wouldn't be too hard.

I think the best position feedback type would be if the copter always new where it was relative to the pilot. This would make flying easy ... kind of like an "always tail in" flying orientation for a helicopter.

I think one way to do position feed back would be using signal strength. The copter has a directional antenna. At the point when the signal is strongest (as the copter rotates) the copter is pointing at the pilot. The controls would then be based on this vector with the appropriate phase shifting to get the correct control response.

Any radio/antenna guys out there that can help with this? A controllable monocopter would be very cool.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
i dont know much about directional antenna. But from what i understand, i dont think a directional antenna would work as whole of the aircraft is rotating there is no fixed part to put on the antenna.

let me know if i am wrong
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhiruday31 View Post
i dont know much about directional antenna. But from what i understand, i dont think a directional antenna would work as whole of the aircraft is rotating there is no fixed part to put on the antenna.

let me know if i am wrong
That's the idea, as the directional antenna rotates the signal strength will vary. When the signal strength is the strongest, the antenna is pointed at the pilot.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,939 Posts
I have made a few drop test models of sycamore seeds and have some ideas but not enough time to move forward with a project. Jack Crossfire is the king of monocopters. Would be interested what sort of duration you are getting out of that does not look like much of a coning angle either. Fantastic built in stability.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,856 Posts
the simplest form of a directional antenna is the simple loop antenna, a few examples are here: http://www.angelfire.com/space/proto57/rdf.html
There's two main problems I can see: First, there's two possible directions for each "max" signal. And second, even though it's relatively simple to find what direction a signal is coming from, there's no good way to eliminate other stray signals on close frequencies. I'd use an electronic compass, and an RGB LED on the tip of the blade pulsating to give me a "virtual" front of the plane. It ought to be possible to also add a camera on it and get a constant panoramic view, though the scan lines will have to be adjusted in software since they will shift with the RPM change.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
the simplest form of a directional antenna is the simple loop antenna, a few examples are here: http://www.angelfire.com/space/proto57/rdf.html
There's two main problems I can see: First, there's two possible directions for each "max" signal. And second, even though it's relatively simple to find what direction a signal is coming from, there's no good way to eliminate other stray signals on close frequencies. I'd use an electronic compass, and an RGB LED on the tip of the blade pulsating to give me a "virtual" front of the plane. It ought to be possible to also add a camera on it and get a constant panoramic view, though the scan lines will have to be adjusted in software since they will shift with the RPM change.
A parabolic antenna would probably work better for a single direction highly directional signal locater...I think

With the compass feedback, the controls responses will change as the position of the monocopter relative to the pilot changes. Might make flying challenging.

What about other signals such as sound or light to acquire direction?

Could the DSM2 be used to help filter out other signals? Or could the computer select the same frequency as the DSM2 Rx has selected.

If any or all of these ideas sound dumb it's because I don't know this subject and I'm just making guesses in hopes of stimulating ideas by those who know more about this stuff.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
974 Posts
This has interested me for some time but never found the opportunity to experiment.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
I have made a few drop test models of sycamore seeds and have some ideas but not enough time to move forward with a project. Jack Crossfire is the king of monocopters. Would be interested what sort of duration you are getting out of that does not look like much of a coning angle either. Fantastic built in stability.
Peter Seddon is online now Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
974 Posts
Sorry lost the attachment on the way.

Peter
Peter Seddon is online now Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2010
430 Posts
Bill Borgia, Director of the Intelligent Robotics Laboratory at Lockheed Martin, gives us the details on their latest unique creation: a small UAV with a design inspired by a samara, the seed from a maple tree. The Samarai has only two moving parts and weighs less than half a pound. At AUVSI Unmanned Systems 2011, the Samarai debuted and demonstrated vertical takeoff and landing, stable hover, and on-board video streaming.

Video Here> http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/S...S;search%3Auav
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter