SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Question
CA glue

do you guys have any tips on keeping CA glue bottles from getting all crudded up?
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I don't have a tip for keeping them from *getting* all crudded up, but I keep all my old bottles and throw the caps in a jar of acetone for a couple days. I take 'em out and let them dry on a paper towel and throw them in a bin. When my current bottle gets crudded up, I just swap the cap and throw the crudded up one in the acetone. Works for me.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
I usually "tap" the bottom of the CA bottle flat onto the building board immediately after use and this aids in keeping the CA liquid from staying up at the tip of the applicator. I use the small applicators from Carl Goldberg and they work nicely. Dropping the tips into acetone, as posted above, is a nice idea. Sometimes I just wipe the CA tip clean with an acetone dampened cloth after use and most all the residual "crud" is removed; if done quickly and without waiting too long the CA doesn't harden onto the CA tip as it would if you waited a few days.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,421 Posts
Use the little bit of teflon tube pushed down into the tip of the nozzle. Cut the teflon on a pretty long angle. The tip of the end will develop blobs due to picking up dust and such but you can pull that off. Meanwhile the long angle slanted opening generally stays clear.

It also helps if you let a drop form on the end of the tube and touch only the drop to the joint and let it wick away from contact with the tip of the tubing.

It's simply all about keeping the bottle and the end of the tube clean as possible. It also helps if you squeeze just a little BEFORE tipping it up so that there's some suction to draw the stuff in the tube back into the bottle rather than it continuing to bubble out of the tube eve after you set it down.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Don't let the tip touch the work piece. Ever since I started being very conscious about this, I haven't really had a problem with the tips clogging. This is where a lot of the "crud" comes from. Also as BMathews said, use a bit of Teflon tubing for thin CA. I also use extended larger tips for Med CA. This way I replace those when necessary. I picked up about 200 in a bag at Toledo a few years ago. I think they are just laboratory pipette tips. By not letting the tip touch the work piece I think I've used about 2 of those extended tips since I got them.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Great tips guys thanks!
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232