HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,170 Posts
Question
1S only or 2S okay?

I see the Eflite models use 1S power, would they also support 2S? Not necessarily the ESC and motor, those can be upgraded (if the ESC is not integral to the board--tells you what I know about micro systems), but the Rx and servos--any problem using 2S cells with them?

I want to do a micro model designed around 2S power, and it seems the easiest way to get the needed electronics is to buy a used Eflite micro and cannibalize it--but not if it won't support the higher cell count.

Thanks...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,367 Posts
Yes. You can run a 1S brick using an external speed controllers BEC with a diode in the red wire. 5V is too much for the onboard electronics. The brushed spped control on board is 1S only as are the servos.

If you really want a 2S system, buy one of the 2S powered Eflight micros, fly the *&^(%^ out of it and then cannibalize it. I'm still waiting for my Beast to be in bad enough shape to strip after 2 years of flying it <grin>.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
Hi Pete M,
Pete Foss is correct, using a brick designed for 2s is a good way to go.
But I have had great success following the method he mentions about an external ESC and a diode to drop the voltage.
Dan Scharlach offers a package with the motor, prop, pre-wired ESC (complete with voltage dropping diode), battery and charging jack.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=52819
I have purchased several used UM 4-Site models. I would "fly the *&^(%^ out of it" and then move the electronics to another kit. Mostly the Dynex 2.4 3D plane. Using the stock 1s setup was fun, but after I went 2s brushless using Dan's kit, I have had MUCH more fun.
Much.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:35 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
320 Posts
You could buy a ParkZone MicroStryker, which is only $100.00, and it is brushless, has a 3000kv 180 motor, board and 4 2.5g servos. That's your whole 2's setup right there. If you do the math, it's cheaper than buying everything seperate, and you get a pretty cool plane to fly also.
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,170 Posts
Thanks, a good idea. I didn't know about the MicroStryker. I have been watching the micro classifieds because I have come to the same conclusion about price, the problem is I don't want to buy a perfectly good airplane just to rip it apart. So I am struggling with my "conscience" a bit...Pete M
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,367 Posts
What's the weight of the Stryker gear compared with the Beast setup? Is the brushless brick lighter than the separates?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,170 Posts
Well, what I found out after looking:
Stryker: Rx 7.8g, servos 1.7g ea, so Rx + 4 servos = 14.6g
Beast AS3X: brick 10.3g, servos 2.3g ea, so Rx + 2 servos = 14.9g (brick has 2 serovs integrated on it)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
What's the weight of the Stryker gear compared with the Beast setup? Is the brushless brick lighter than the separates?
Not sure about the weight difference. Looks like the Stryker uses a RX/ESC board with seperate servos, and the Beast has two servos integrated onto the board. Plus, the Beast (v2) has the AS3X and the Stryker doesn't.

I hear you about scrapping a perfectly good plane. I just gutted a UMX GeeBee for my gear, but that plane never flew that good for me anyway. The plane I put the gear in, a FancyFoam Mini MX2, is alot more fun. I was doing loops and rolling circles in my driveway with it. I guess it would depend on what type of plane you are gonna put the gear in. Still a good deal though. AmpDraw has the Stryker for $94.95. Think I'm gonna pick one up for my next project.
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude