HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:03 AM
ror
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
114 Posts
Discussion
carbone rod

Hi,

I'm building a RC peanut. I'd like to know what diameter of carbon rod I have to use: 0,3 mm, 0,5mm, 0,8 mm ?

Thanks
ror is online now Find More Posts by ror
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
Registered User
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,790 Posts
That will sort of depend on what you intend to use the carbon rod for and what the design is like. Just "peanut" says very little.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
ror
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
114 Posts
Yes, off course, I didn indicate what was the use ! It's for doing linkage for rudder and elevator so approximatively 15 cm. Do I have to make some guide in the fuselage ?

Thanks
ror is online now Find More Posts by ror
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
.030" rod makes good pushrods in combination with .8mm Heat shrink tubing and .020" music wire for for the Z-bends.

15cm would be OK for a pushrod, but putting something at the mid length of the pushrod can help reduce bowing during operation.

I have used a small piece of coffee stir straw or plastic tubing (1mm to 2mm long) fastened to the fuselage at the midpoint of the rod to keep the pushrod straight under compression.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:41 AM
ror
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
114 Posts
OK thanks, but don't you think it could be possible to use 0,5 mm carbone rod instead of ? and for Z bend, I thought 0,3 mm music wire or copper wire from a brushless motor ?
ror is online now Find More Posts by ror
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Mt Gambier
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
.030" rod makes good pushrods in combination with .8mm Heat shrink tubing and .020" music wire for for the Z-bends.

15cm would be OK for a pushrod, but putting something at the mid length of the pushrod can help reduce bowing during operation.

I have used a small piece of coffee stir straw or plastic tubing (1mm to 2mm long) fastened to the fuselage at the midpoint of the rod to keep the pushrod straight under compression.
Where the heck can I get .8mm Heat shrink, been looking every where all I can get is 1.5mm ?
ron
acheyj is offline Find More Posts by acheyj
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheyj View Post
Where the heck can I get .8mm Heat shrink, been looking every where all I can get is 1.5mm ?
ron
The best place is "dealextreme.com" Shipping takes a while but it is very cheap.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror View Post
OK thanks, but don't you think it could be possible to use 0,5 mm carbone rod instead of ? and for Z bend, I thought 0,3 mm music wire or copper wire from a brushless motor ?
.020" CF rod is a little too flexible, unless you are doing a 20g plane. You'll need multiple eyelets to reduce flex.

.015" music wire works at the servos (if you use HH linears), but is too small for the holes in most control horns and all HK servos. Copper wire makes poor Z-bends and it's too flexible. Its better for wrapping or doubled over U-bends.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:36 AM
I live on LiPos
RcAirplaneNoob's Avatar
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
it depends on the thickness of the wing you dont want to make the wing to thin where you plan on putting the spar.
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question repair hollow carbon rod? getmeoutofiraq Sailplane Talk 0 Jun 17, 2012 01:26 AM
Wanted Carbon Fiber Rod (or tube?) 4mm and 5mm OD Twyl Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 14 Jun 15, 2012 01:33 PM
Help! Carbon Fiber rod Scooch Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8 Jun 01, 2012 08:25 AM
Discussion Best 10mm square carbon rods? iCrap Multirotor Talk 3 May 27, 2012 02:42 PM
Question Where and how to install Carbon Fiber Rods in Easystar easystarfpv4 Electric Plane Talk 2 May 09, 2012 11:00 AM