HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Discussion
multiplex connector

Are the multiplex 6 pin connectors the standard for plug in connections on full house sailplanes? I'm starting a build soon and don't want to deal with multiple servo plugs, so I want a easy all in one plug I can epoxy into the wing/fuse
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:03 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
Yup, multiplex plugs are they way to go.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,891 Posts
dunno about "standard" as there are several types of connectors, but I love my multiplex.
They're kinda small, and if not glued in for plug-in wings, and just dangling at the wing saddle area for bolt-on wings, they're a bit hard to grip.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Oct 2005
495 Posts
"Ditto" for what the gentlemen said above.I Love mine.Won't use anything else.Paul
paul dufek is offline Find More Posts by paul dufek
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,696 Posts
It all depends on what kind of wing you have. If you have a three piece wing, I think you'll find more models use DB-9 connectors to connect the wing to the fuselage. If the wings plug into the side of the fuselage, then you might find the Multiplex connectors used. And, of course, there will be some airplanes doing it differently. Some even use Deans connectors.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,750 Posts
MPX connectors are the way to go. I gave up on DB9s long ago when I became aware of MPXs. Been using them for years on a dozen or so planes and no problems so far.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,647 Posts
Perhaps you're aware of this but when I make up my Multiplex connectors I do not use heat shrink and when I'm done I use a hot melt glue gun and pot them. Works great!

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh View Post
MPX connectors are the way to go. I gave up on DB9s long ago when I became aware of MPXs. .
That's my policy as well, but the plane I'm putting together right now has moulded recesses on both fuz and wing centre panel for 15 pin DB connectors. So I gave up and decided to take the easy path and not use the MPX's ...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Perhaps you're aware of this but when I make up my Multiplex connectors I do not use heat shrink and when I'm done I use a hot melt glue gun and pot them. Works great!

Curtis
Montana
+1 !
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Great point, I like it. Simple and effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post

Curtis
Montana
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
My build is a eflite mystique, with 2 piece plug in wings. So I want the connectors glued/epoxyied into the wing/fuse. What do you guys like to use? Epoxy, welders, etc?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Some of you talk about MPX connectors, I know these are not the real deal but should work fine right. The price (like all china stuff) is nice.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...airs_set_.html
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,891 Posts
Holy cow!!
I just read the reviews in the HK link provided. Where in the world did they come up with a 45A rating for these plugs!! Some folks are saying 60A is fine...gulp!!

In Ford cars with electric steering, the motors can draw 70A and there's approx 8ga wire going to big ol' 1/4" connector pins. How can the tiny little pins of mpx connectors possibly take 45A?!?! Even if all 6 pins are used in parallel for one power lead, i'd still question 45A capacity!!

What am I missing?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Holy cow!!
I just read the reviews in the HK link provided. Where in the world did they come up with a 45A rating for these plugs!! Some folks are saying 60A is fine...gulp!!

In Ford cars with electric steering, the motors can draw 70A and there's approx 8ga wire going to big ol' 1/4" connector pins. How can the tiny little pins of mpx connectors possibly take 45A?!?! Even if all 6 pins are used in parallel for one power lead, i'd still question 45A capacity!!

What am I missing?
MPX rates their 6 pin for 35 amps continious. 60 amps for 30 seconds. China must you a different numbering system?
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,891 Posts
Is that a combined total of all pins concurrently?