HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
Discussion
Bad Lipo received

I may have placed my last order with HobbyKing. I just received a Turnigy, 30c, 5s4000,.. 4 cells read 3.85v, $50,... one cell reads 1.90v. That can't be good. I've never received a battery that unbalanced and assume it's as good as a door stop. According to their Lipo warrenty FAQ, it has to be returned to HongKong (I'm in the USA,... and I received it from USA warehouse). Shipping to HK must be high and waiting time must be long (can't be sent airmail because it's a lipo - as I understand it). I can't try to bring it up by charging and balancing because they say they won't warrenty it if charged. I have an RMA#, just waiting for a reply to see if I really have to send it to HongKong.

I'm not throwing rocks yet, but depending how this turns out, it may have been my last order from Hobby King. Their warrenty page says that they check voltage before shipping,.. "it only takes 3 seconds". They could not have checked this one.

We'll see what happens. I am not happy right now. All previous experiences with HK have been good. I hope this turns out well.

Btw, I see the customer service phone number above as a sticky. I will call that first thing Monday morning.

Anyone have experiences returning lipos from the USA?... Good or bad?
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
That number hasn't worked in years.

Go to the Support Centre and submit an support request.

#1 Sign in on HK website
#2 Go to Contact at the bottom of the page.
#3 Go to Support Centre
#4 Go to Submit a Request
#5 Submit request.

They will probably ask for a picture of your pack hooked to a cell checker showing the voltages.
To my knowledge, they don't require shipment back anymore.
For all subsequent communications, use that Support request even if you have to reopen it. That keeps all information in one place. You can add to that support request even if it's been solved or closed.

Go with the flow and follow their requests and it'll probably work our OK.

Good Luck.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,753 Posts
As hoppy as given you all the proper info i won't add to that,but i do hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction,if it were me i'd be the same as you but i doubt it would be the last time i'd shop with HK,i mean every company has there little problems and anyone who say they don't,well no comment there but just think of all the money you save with HK,i wouldn't want to lose that if it was me all over a battery,but each to there own i guess.

Like i said above i hope and think you will get this sorted as long as your happy to follow what HK want you to do,i only say that as some people don't understand there methods,from my understanding they get people to take photos so they can see whats going on and that the battery is as faulty as you say,don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant to up set you in any way,but you do get a lot of people out there that try it on,so thats why HK does this sort of thing,shame on those people as they are the ones that make things the way they are for people like you and me.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
Yes that is correct. Last night I got on their Support Centre, and that's what they are having me do,.... take specific pictures showing the voltage readings for each cell of the defective battery. The front side of the battery, the warranty code (on the battery), connected cables and tester has to be shown on the photo. I figured I'd post this morning, but you guys beat me to it. Thanks for your input.
Geez, they need to delete or edit the web page it that says you have to send Lipos to Hong Kong. It would prevent lots of hard feelings. The service center was very fast to reply with an answer.

This looks as if it will turn out as a good experience.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Hey No Step, let us know how it turns out, good or bad.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
Yes that is correct. Last night I got on their Support Centre, and that's what they are having me do,.... take specific pictures showing the voltage readings for each cell of the defective battery. The front side of the battery, the warranty code (on the battery), connected cables and tester has to be shown on the photo. I figured I'd post this morning, but you guys beat me to it. Thanks for your input.
Geez, they need to delete or edit the web page it that says you have to send Lipos to Hong Kong. It would prevent lots of hard feelings. The service center was very fast to reply with an answer.

This looks as if it will turn out as a good experience.
I just received my first lipo with a bad cell from the U.S. warehouse. I followed the exact instructions from CS and my new pack is already on its way here. I hope yours arrives as quickly as mine seems to be!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
That's good to hear. I've sent in the pics as requested,... just waiting for reply. I'll post follow up for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
You got a real nice 4s pack.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
You got a real nice 4s pack.
Now that made me laugh out loud

A buddy of mine had received a bad pack from a different vendor with a low cell that he "needed" that weekend so he just ran a slow balance charge on it and its been fine ever since. That was almost two years ago. I dont think I would be comfortable enough with that on my charger but thats just me. Is there an explanation behind why his worked and has been working fine ever since?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Not that I know of. Working fine means different things to different people. The low cell had some damage which probably cost it some capacity and current drawing capability. A pilot flying a competition plane at the max limit of the pack's abilities would probably see right away this pack was not up to snuff. Another pilot flying a plane that only draws 6C and always lands before 60-80% of the pack is used might never notice that the pack is substandard.

There is a discussion of cell failures here. Start with post #134 where the cell failure discussion started and grew. In post #146, references to manufacturing processes/aging etc are shown.

And this article - http://www.mpoweruk.com/failure_modes.htm
Last edited by hoppy; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
BINGO! HobbyKing came through with a store credit. I will reorder same Lipo pack. Nothing said about what to do with the old battery. I guess I can destroy it.
That was taken care of amazingly fast. I have new respect for Hobby King. I was expecting the "worst" but got the "best"

Edit: SEE POST #14
--------------------
Fred
Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.
Thank you for your information, the investigation for your claim has completed.
We apologize sincerely for the defective item which you have received from order #xxxxx.
We have issued store credit to your account for $43.99 as compensation for the product. Please check your account for updates later. You may apply the credits to your next purchase.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Dissatisfied with their products
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
One last point, store credits are only good for "part" costs. Store credits cannot be used to pay shipping charges even tho shipping charges made up some of the store credits. That's one of the weird rules they have.
Did they credit you for the shipping costs?

Didn't want you to be surprised.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
They refunded cost of battery only. New one already ordered (USA Warehouse). I'm happy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
Hey everyone!... today I got a package from Hobby King, just 5 days after receiving my bad battery.

BUT I AM VERY, VERY UNHAPPY, to put it lightly.

To Review: I ordered two 5s4000 Turnigy 30c lipos, one was good, one was bad (one cell read 1.9v). After a couple days they credited me cost of a replacement battery. I immediately ordered a new battery, the same battery. They did not give me any credit for cost of shipping to me the battery that was no good,... OK, can live with that, no problem. But, I also had to pay another $5.70 to ship the replacement battery to me. Geez, OK, ok.

BUT TODAY, I OPENED THE BOX THAT CONTAINED THE NEW REPLACEMENT BATTERY. I IMMEDIATELY PUT IT ON MY BATTERY CHECKER,... IT HAS ONE BAD CELL. THIS TIME 0.60 V ON ONE CELL, and dropping.

Obviously they have a quality control problem, or a 'no quality problem'. They have sold me junk twice, within 5 days and it's costing me money to remedy the situation, and their problems! If I go through the process yet AGAIN, it will have cost me $11.40 in additional shipping costs, that's over and above the original shipping charge. Add to that the time and effort to write these posts, documentations, and emails to get my account credited! And will I be happy? I don't know how anyone can expect that.

I take everything back I said in post #11
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,976 Posts
I have submitted a new service center request form. Waiting for reply so I can send documentation (pics).
RCG Plus Member