HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Awesome Idea...I actually used your idea on my 400 and the tubing works GREAT. I did go with 5/8 inch OD tubing since I run 3S 5000mah batteries which are pretty heavy. The tubing gives just enough flex and dampens the impact on the heli when it makes contact on hard landings and the heli doesn't bounce like a set I created out of high density foam.

my foam training gear

Nice work and thanks for sharing...very much appreciated

Ljay
LjayLE is offline Find More Posts by LjayLE
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
316 Posts
That's a great idea.

I have been trying to figure a way to do something similar except that it would also extend up and over props to protect them from impact and maybe mirroring your idea on the top would work. The idea being to prevent going through dozens of props while learning how to fly like Chris does Lol.
I had Chris extend the arms a couple inches out past the motors to absorb impact in a side crash and extending the rubber tube out and over the props will be easier with that design.
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Smuench gear on Armattan 400

Ljay
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
316 Posts
Is that the shiney black translucent tubing used for aquarium plumbing?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
Is that the shiney black translucent tubing used for aquarium plumbing?
i picked it up at home depot in the plumbing aisle...not really sure what it's original purpose was but it works for me as training gear for my armattan. It cost me 7 bucks for a 10 ft. pc.

It's not translucent though...just shiny and black

Ljay
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
That's a great idea.

I have been trying to figure a way to do something similar except that it would also extend up and over props to protect them from impact and maybe mirroring your idea on the top would work. The idea being to prevent going through dozens of props while learning how to fly like Chris does Lol.
I had Chris extend the arms a couple inches out past the motors to absorb impact in a side crash and extending the rubber tube out and over the props will be easier with that design.
props can be had for a buck a piece. I would bet Chris has gone through a few props on his way to level of skill that he's achieved, why not just start with lower stick scaling and work your way up.

Just my .02
Ljay
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
316 Posts
"why not just start with lower stick scaling and work your way up"

Thanks for the compliment but your way overestimating our abilities Lol.

But I do have an idea for prop roll bars and will see how it goes.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
United States, VA, Glen Allen
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
Armattan 369 first flight

Thought I would share my first flight and show off the new landing gear in action, absorbed everything!
Armattan 369 Flight01 (1 min 40 sec)
smuench is offline Find More Posts by smuench
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, VA, Glen Allen
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
Armattan 369 remote camera mount idea

Had to prototype an idea for a "chase plane" view of my new quadcopter.
I put a 808#16 HD camera on the end of a bent piece of aluminium wire - it worked amazing...
it also ends up that it captured an epic quadcopter crash video in the process too!

Armattan 369 Flight02 (0 min 0 sec)
smuench is offline Find More Posts by smuench
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
639 Posts
I'm getting an Armattan M381 - so I'm searching for things folks have done. Love the skid idea. May have to try something like that. Can you take a picture of your new "chase" camera mount? Also, just curious - how did you retrieve the Quad from that high up?
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:50 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
That was an awesome video. Forgot about this thread after I got my cnc 355! I was worried the whole time watching that, that the wire was going to sway into a prop. I have experienced that same scary feeling of trying to bring her back only to climb higher...I can't wait to get my quad back in the air. I love the chase cam idea too. What kind of wire did you use? Is it something readily available?
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuench View Post
Had to prototype an idea for a "chase plane" view of my new quadcopter.
I put a 808#16 HD camera on the end of a bent piece of aluminium wire - it worked amazing...
it also ends up that it captured an epic quadcopter crash video in the process too!

http://youtu.be/QNHh2Y4FpeY
That a good idea
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob