Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I know for a fact there are some slope site's in Lima, pilot's also fly hang glider's and para-sail's. You could be up for hour's. There was a young man named Alex who live's in Lima last I heard he was an avid slope flyer. He even made a mold for a glider called the Jart, a dedicated slope speedster. He hasn't posted on the slope forum in a while but he did post some good video's of sloping in Lima.
Yes there are many good slopes in Lima. The one you are refering to and where Alex "lives" is Parque Gandhi. It is a long narrow park running parallel to the cliff in front of the ocean. Conditions are very good almost everyday, especially in the afternoons, it is a very popular place.
But I think the Zephyr is too light for this particular slope, would be hard to land, at least for me. Maybe a day when there is very little wind...
Peruvian is offline Find More Posts by Peruvian
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
It's easy to practice landing LOL. I've flown a similar glider in 20mph wind's and it flew great, with wind's that strong when you round up into the wind you almost hover. A model made with bounceable foam is a great A/C to have as it build's up the confidence level. If you mess up the landing you should be able to fly again. I've probably learned most of what I know because I fly slope, you learn to use the wind and not be so much afraid of it. Later Dave.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
The thing is that it is a narrow park (although quite long) that is limited by houses and buildings... so you cannot go too far back to head the wind, you have to land parallel to the park. The locals are experts landing there. I admit it frightens me but have managed to land "properly" the few times that I have flown there, but with a heavier plane though. I am sure the Zephyr will not be able to make it back to terra firma if launched there...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
That's funny about the weight, many of the model's I've seen in the video's are lead sled slope rocket's. I guessing your Z-2 weigh's less than 16oz's. Keep practicing your landing's.
s
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,300 Posts
Hi Peruvian,
I would not fly a lightweight model on the slope unless the winds were light and you have a good landing area. Otherwise your beautiful model will not be able to penetrate and when you land one unexpected gust and you will end up crashing. THe Zephyr II is a handlaunch model meant for thermalling so I'd suggest using it for that. Sloping is fun but I've seen too many thermal planes crashed on our slope and not able to thermal very well after that. Fly a slope plane on the slope and a thermal plane on the flatlands.
Have fun with your Z2!
Ray
kostuk is online now Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
It's interesting that in the original construction article it show's the designer sloping his Zephr. I guess it's an individual's choice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:40 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Thanks Ray, I do intend to fly it basicaly as a hand launch thermal plane, but would give it a try at the slope when the wind is very light (and all the slope planes are grounded).

Dave, the Zephyr should weigh around 8 oz. with a wing loading of around 3.5 oz/sq.ft. That is extremely light for the slope, but good for thermaling.

Right now I am struggling with the covering process. I never imagined how self-sticky Microlite could really be! It is getting on my nerves!! But I know I will manage... Photo soon.

Ricardo
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Finished covering. Coverite Microlite is very good stuff. You have to be carefull because it is light and very self-sticky... but once the model is covered it tightens very well and it looks great.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Today y completed the Zephyr and it is ready to fly. It is a beautiful, warm and sunny day, but the most windy I can remember. So no maidening today. There are some things I have to confess (hope Mark is not annoyed): I made the fuse a couple of mm wider to fit the receiver comfortably and I used Mini E/Z Connectors and slightly larger control horns so the connectors would fit. It is easy to trim this way. The penalty is a bit more weight, which at the end was 8.65 oz., still it "feels" very light... I also bent the pushrods to achieve a more direct link with less friction. Here are some photos:

Regards,
Ricardo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
Nice work Ricardo. I am a little concerned about the z bend's in the tail section. What diameter wire? And the rudder horn look's like it may hit the fuse side. Did the original plan's call for plywood horn's?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Thanks Dave. I don't like the bends in the tail section either but they allow less friction and therefore less effort by the servos. The wire is .032, but the plane is very light, so I don't think there will be any problem. I have done this before. In any case, if problems arise I can go back to straight wire or much less bend. The rudder horn does not hit the fuse by a reasonable margin, I have tested that. The plans don't mention the horns, there were two very small nylon horns included in the kit. I replaced them with slightly larger nylon horns so the E/Z connectors could fit. I am optimistic that this plane will fly good despite the modifications...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
It should, and I hope it does.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
Thanks Dave. I don't like the bends in the tail section either but they allow less friction and therefore less effort by the servos. The wire is .032, but the plane is very light, so I don't think there will be any problem. I have done this before. In any case, if problems arise I can go back to straight wire or much less bend. The rudder horn does not hit the fuse by a reasonable margin, I have tested that. The plans don't mention the horns, there were two very small nylon horns included in the kit. I replaced them with slightly larger nylon horns so the E/Z connectors could fit. I am optimistic that this plane will fly good despite the modifications...
Ricardo:

Your Zephyr II is very beautiful. I also used red on my wing and tail. So far I don't have a single patch.

I was wondering what your maximum rudder movement is (in mm or inches).

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
Really nice one, Ricardo!

I'll agree with both you and Craig on the color decision. Red looks great on balsa built wings.

I'm buying too!
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Craig:
Thanks for your kind words. I did see your e-Zephir's red wing and tail and liked it so I copied and also followed your advice on the Microlite. I hated it at one point while covering, but looking at the results now I am begining to love it.

The maximum rudder movement is 7/8" (22mm) to each side. The pushrod is in the outermost hole of the control horn, so I can still give it more movement but I want to try it first.

Ricardo