SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Cool
Zephyr II

Some time ago I got a Zephyr II kit from Isthmus Models. I have been building for a while now and this is what I have managed up to now. It seems very strong and very light and looks good. Just have to cover, paint the fuse, put in the hardware and go fly... This is my first hand launch glider. The weather is wonderful (it is the southern hemisphere here). I hope to report soon with another photo.
Peruvian is offline Find More Posts by Peruvian
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,715 Posts
Very nicely done.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,716 Posts
Looks wonderful. Can't wait to see it fly.

Mark Miller
Isthmus Models
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
Some time ago I got a Zephyr II kit from Isthmus Models. I have been building for a while now and this is what I have managed up to now. It seems very strong and very light and looks good. Just have to cover, paint the fuse, put in the hardware and go fly... This is my first hand launch glider. The weather is wonderful (it is the southern hemisphere here). I hope to report soon with another photo.
Ricardo:

That looks like one beautiful well crafted Zephyr II. Cover it with something light.

I sure am enjoying nice thermal flights with my unpure electrified Zephyr.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Thanks for your kind comments Prodjx, Mark, Craig.
I plan to cover it with Coverite Microlite (0.6 oz. per sq. yd.)
If I have calculated the wing area correctly and done my maths right and if I manage to keep the weight at 8.5 oz (should be 7.5 but I have used too much Titebond), the wing loading would be 3.37 oz/sq. ft. That would be, by far, the lightest glider I ever had. Or did I do something wrong ?

Ricardo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 AM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
Sweet 'n beautiful Rickardo. I wish mine comes out this good too. It'll be on my work-bench after I finish with the Mirage build, so I might come up later with questions I may have.

Good job man.
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,716 Posts
7.5 to 8.5 ounces is about normal for the Zephyr II. Keeping things neat and lots of sanding and you can get it to the lower number.Even at the higher number it flies well. It is still my favorite plane to fly. I have done HLG, Mini Histart and winch launches with it. It was designed to be stable on a mini histart. it won the mass launch 1.5 meter mini histart event at the Woodcrafters event one year and came in second another.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
Thanks for your kind comments Prodjx, Mark, Craig.
I plan to cover it with Coverite Microlite (0.6 oz. per sq. yd.)
If I have calculated the wing area correctly and done my maths right and if I manage to keep the weight at 8.5 oz (should be 7.5 but I have used too much Titebond), the wing loading would be 3.37 oz/sq. ft. That would be, by far, the lightest glider I ever had. Or did I do something wrong ?

Ricardo
Ricardo:

I used Coverite Microlite on mine. I like the covering so far. I think the transparent Microlite is easier to work with than the opaque; the opaque seems to have a tendency to stick to itself during the covering process and can be agrivating. And I think the fuse would also look nice in transparent.

As I mentioned, my Zephyr is electrified and weighs in at about 9.85 oz (275 grams).

Craig
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratigio View Post
Sweet 'n beautiful Rickardo. I wish mine comes out this good too. It'll be on my work-bench after I finish with the Mirage build, so I might come up later with questions I may have.

Good job man.
Thanks Stratigio. I will be pleased to answer your questions (if I can...) and I am sure everybody here will be willing to give you a hand.

Ricardo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
7.5 to 8.5 ounces is about normal for the Zephyr II. Keeping things neat and lots of sanding and you can get it to the lower number.Even at the higher number it flies well. It is still my favorite plane to fly. I have done HLG, Mini Histart and winch launches with it. It was designed to be stable on a mini histart. it won the mass launch 1.5 meter mini histart event at the Woodcrafters event one year and came in second another.

Mark
Thanks Mark for the info, it is good to know. I have already ordered a mini hi-start just in case... I am always a bit uneasy on sanding too much, I feel unsecure thinking I might weaken it. For the same reason y use glue in excess. It is a mental thing... but I enjoy building very much (not as much as flying though).

Ricardo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
Ricardo:

I used Coverite Microlite on mine. I like the covering so far. I think the transparent Microlite is easier to work with than the opaque; the opaque seems to have a tendency to stick to itself during the covering process and can be agrivating. And I think the fuse would also look nice in transparent.

As I mentioned, my Zephyr is electrified and weighs in at about 9.85 oz (275 grams).

Craig
Craig,

I have transparent red Microlite. I have been manipulating it a bit and find it is a bit sticky on itself. I will have to be very careful when doing the real covering. I have found that if you have to uncover and the colour/adhesive stays stuck on the wood, it comes off by sticking it to Scotch tape and then pulling it out. Quite a relief!

If your electrified weighs 9.85 and thermals well, I hope mine will do likewise...

Ricardo
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,770 Posts
details

Quote:
Ricardo:

Craig
could you provide more data on your e version? i like these hand launched sailplanes but it's hard for me to throw hard, so this could be a practical alternative. kind of motor, size, weight, prop, whatever.
and i think others could more easily try them this way too.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,715 Posts
I know for a fact there are some slope site's in Lima, pilot's also fly hang glider's and para-sail's. You could be up for hour's. There was a young man named Alex who live's in Lima last I heard he was an avid slope flyer. He even made a mold for a glider called the Jart, a dedicated slope speedster. He hasn't posted on the slope forum in a while but he did post some good video's of sloping in Lima.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
could you provide more data on your e version? i like these hand launched sailplanes but it's hard for me to throw hard, so this could be a practical alternative. kind of motor, size, weight, prop, whatever.
and i think others could more easily try them this way too.
thanks
Hi, Phil:

Please look at:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...thermal+thrill

There I listed gear and weights for my electric ZephyrII.
If you have questions, I will be glad to assist.

It is a real fun little soaring machine.

Craig
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,770 Posts
link

Quote:
Hi, Phil:

Please look at:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...thermal+thrill

There I listed gear and weights for my electric ZephyrII.
If you have questions, I will be glad to assist.

It is a real fun little soaring machine.

Craig
thank you for the link. very interesting.
am getting into the 1.5 and maybe later 1 mt sailplanes, but motor assisted. seems to be the most practical approach to my needs to fly into thermals.
thanks again.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez