SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:20 AM
Germany, BY
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
Discussion
Grunau Baby 6m Blackhorse

Hi Gliderfan's

I would like to introduce my Grunau Baby 2B from Blackhorse. The technical datas are:
Wingspan 6m
Weight 18,5kg
Scale 1:2,25
Lenght 2,75m

After the maidenflight i'm very happy with this plane. Please see the video:
Grunau Baby 6000 (6 min 6 sec)

and Pictures:
http://www.modellflugfreunde-tondorf...unau-baby.html
uwe neesen is offline Find More Posts by uwe neesen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Beautiful.

Congratulations on the successful first flights!
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,775 Posts
Nicely done. Those final approaches looked like the full scale version instead of a model!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,636 Posts
Nice!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
So has anyone noticed the siilarities between the Gruno and the KA8 from Phoenix..... check out the blackhorse web site look at the forward fuse construction and the dodgy tow release, definately an improvement buy leaps and bounds over the Ka8 construction wise at a similar price break. Now for that big ass Ka7 from the above companies.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Hi Uwe,
Very nice model. Are you satisfied with the quality?

Rossco, I'm willing to bet that Black Horse is the same company as Phoenix Models: same hardware, same construction details, etc. Four piece wing and two piece fuse make for easy transportation.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:32 AM
Germany, BY
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
Hi Steve

I'm very satisfied with the quality. It is much better then the Ka 8 from Phönix. The Baby is covered with Oratex "antik" and not with normal wihte oracover.

The towing release looks simmilar, but the wing contruction is much better. The central wing tubes are ~1,5m long / 33mm diameter + 1,2m / 25mm!
uwe neesen is offline Find More Posts by uwe neesen
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
flynot
Laguna Beach
Joined Aug 2005
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe neesen View Post
Hi Steve

I'm very satisfied with the quality. It is much better then the Ka 8 from Phönix. The Baby is covered with Oratex "antik" and not with normal wihte oracover.

The towing release looks simmilar, but the wing contruction is much better. The central wing tubes are ~1,5m long / 33mm diameter + 1,2m / 25mm!
How do we get one shipped to the US. I E-mailed Blackhorse and they wrote back they cannot ship to the US because of the size of the box. How did you get one shipped to Germany? Thanks for your time, Mike Lance
mike lance is offline Find More Posts by mike lance
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
flynot
Laguna Beach
Joined Aug 2005
10 Posts
[QUOTE=SteveR;23302983]Hi Uwe,
Very nice model. Are you satisfied with the quality?

Rossco, I'm willing to bet that Black Horse is the same company as Phoenix Models: same hardware, same construction details, etc. Four piece wing and two piece fuse make for easy transportation.

Steve /QUOTE]

Steve do you know how to get one shipped to the US? Blackhorse told me they cannot ship to the US because of the size of the box. Thanks for your time Mike Lance
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Hi Mike,

Funny you ask as I sent a note to Black Horse earlier today asking if they have a U.S. distributor. Even with a 4 piece wing and a 2 piece fuse, the box has got to be pretty big which would cost a small fortune to ship via air, assuming that option is available from Vietnam.

Sea freight is the only practical approach and that typically means filling a container unless you can find a company shipping LTL. The best approach is to hopefully find a U.S. company like Hobbico or someone else who has a relationship with Black Horse and can add a few of these models to an existing order.

I did a Google search for Black Horse and found several U.S. modelers talking about Black Horse models they had purchased and their experience with them. Sounds like they are being imported and now the question is by what company. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Regards,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
I wouldn't mind betting the model is designed buy the same man and has learnt some lessons in model design with the ka8.....,

So the next question is what else is lurking out there yet to be discovered? One thing I do know is that Phoenix have a 6 meter motor glider out there in testing. Hopefully we will get tk see it some time soon.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Last edited by Big Nuts 181; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2005
272 Posts
I believe Hobby People imports Black Horse Models, however I do not see the Grunau on their website.

John E
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
flynot
Laguna Beach
Joined Aug 2005
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Hi Mike,

Funny you ask as I sent a note to Black Horse earlier today asking if they have a U.S. distributor. Even with a 4 piece wing and a 2 piece fuse, the box has got to be pretty big which would cost a small fortune to ship via air, assuming that option is available from Vietnam.

Sea freight is the only practical approach and that typically means filling a container unless you can find a company shipping LTL. The best approach is to hopefully find a U.S. company like Hobbico or someone else who has a relationship with Black Horse and can add a few of these models to an existing order.

I did a Google search for Black Horse and found several U.S. modelers talking about Black Horse models they had purchased and their experience with them. Sounds like they are being imported and now the question is by what company. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Regards,

Steve
Steve thanks for getting back to me if you find something out do let me know. Dan and all of us went towing last weekend and had a ball. Mike Lance
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,701 Posts
I already ordered mine through Hobby Shack Fountain Valley.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jan 2007
177 Posts
Me too and it arrives tomorrow
PT Glider is offline Find More Posts by PT Glider
Last edited by PT Glider; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM.