HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Discussion
first composite

Im interested in trying this out. I have covered planes in fiberglass before but never made a fully composite one. Im interested in using a foam kit plane as the mold. Ive done some looking but cant find everything i need. What would be the cheapest way to make one. I know i need fg cloth. What others are must haves? I know i need the parting board and clay. My question is what kind of clay, epoxy, wax, etc. trying to get everything locally if possible
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
102 Posts
body filler, mould release wax, PVA, tooling epoxy, moulding wax hard kind, sand paper 100,400,600,1000,1500,2000, car buffing paste, some old rags.
Where are you located, or which store's do you have access too.

Orrin
orrinade is offline Find More Posts by orrinade
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,281 Posts
Melamine shelves work well for a parting board. Plumber's putty has worked well for me and its readily available. West Systems is good for epoxy...boat stores or wood working stores usually stock it...I would splurge and get the metering pumps too, plus carbon dust and filler for the first layer.
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:44 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,509 Posts
Economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
............. What would be the cheapest way to make one. I know i need fg cloth. ......................
I don't want to discourage you because I think composite moulding is one of the most fascinating hobbies around. From my experience it is, at least.

However, you will not make a "cheap one"! The list provided amounst the previous replies is fairly comprehensive, but no doubt not complete. It would be hard to give you a complete list.
To stock up on all the above plus some good laminating resin for one plane would make it very expensive. Note here: Do NOT buy cheap resin!!
Alternatively, if you look at this venture as the beginning of a new branch of your hobby that you will use to build many planes, the cost of all the items above mentioned will be amortized over many models. One can of wax will build 1 plane, but it may build 20 etc. etc.. Different economics altogether.
Cheaper by a long shot, but still not cheap compared to the planes coming out of China!

Jim.

edit: I have just re-read your post. You did say "cheapest" and not "cheap". However, I will leave my comments as above for what they might be worth.
Good luck and keep posting. Much to be learned here. I know from experience!
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: see edit.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Ok, I may do some experimenting with it. I'm mainly wanting to mold fuesalages, and wings, stabs, etc are very easy to make with flat foam.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,213 Posts
Hey, I got into making composite gliders a couple of years ago and have to say its super rewarding! Its hard work and a massive amount to learn, but there is always someone to answer all your questions. I started with vacuum bagging, which is an art in itself. When you have learned this, you can move up to fully moulded, which is a bigger commitment by far but makes super planes. Fuselage moulding is probably a less steep learning curve as you dont have to build a bagging set up, but you will have to put many hours into moulds etc.
Composites can be very expensive or relatively cheap, especially when comparing it to the price of ready made composite planes, but you will put many, many hours of your time into it. For me this is just fun, if you are more time poor its something to think about. I have learned to multiply all my time estimates by at least double!
Have fun with it!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:31 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2011
474 Posts
download and read this http://drum.lib.umd.edu/handle/1903/3930
Artful Owl is online now Find More Posts by Artful Owl
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:39 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,322 Posts
You may be interested in this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21097972

If you can't get it to slide off then you can cut if off and reseam it. However, I would cut it off lengthwise and reseam it that way instead of what I show in the link. It's much easier to reseam it that way!

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member