SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Discussion
To Oil or Not to Oil

Just wondering if it is ok to put a drop of light oil on your bearings ? Radial type that may have been pre greased.
Heard somewhere that lubricants shouldn't be mixed.
Thanks
Xascent is offline Find More Posts by Xascent
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
True, but running the bearings dry is much worse. Use Triflow and keep using it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
heres a little basic maintenance tips for you based on one of my experiances with the align trex 250se which consist of oiling. while i cant say much for the align motor or any other as i only run the scorpion 3900 (I oil mine every 15 to 20 flights) or so you should oil (one small drop) both the top and bottom bearings. i use the Scorpion Motor Bearing Lubrication Kit for my "motor only" http://www.readyheli.com/OilKit-Scor...t_p_35764.html and the triflo oil kit (use sparingly) for bearings and all other parts of the heli http://www.readyheli.com/TF21010-Tri...e_p_36037.html but just remember the scorpion motor bearing lube is only used for the motor bearings due to it being a bit thicker. ask me how i know this lol? because i thought if its so good for the main motor than is should be good for the rest of the heli. (WRONG) when i put it on the mainshaft and swash the pitch was so sticky when i gave it pitch input nothin would happin so i thought hmmm let me give it a little more. and all of a sudden "zoom" she was out of site lol so then i fought to get er back in. then thought about it for a minute then cleaned the scorpion motor lube off the swash an mainshaft then.. "and then and then and then" added what i usualy use (triflo) then bam she was once again as smooth as a babys bottom.
so good luck and just have fun with it
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
Been using Dupont Teflon Lubricant on bearings and sliders, seems to get everything freed up pretty good. I believe it is around the same as Tri-Flow.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
I've just adopted a new oiling routine. I dab on a bit of sewing machine oil with a Q tip on my tail rotor shaft and mainshaft, having first cleaned the shafts with another Q tip, at the start of every flying session. I've been monitoring a Gotek 9257 tail servo that has been running up to 130f - but since I started oiling, I've not seen it get to more than 105f. I know it's not a particularly well controlled experiment, but it seems encouraging.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Ok thanks all, I have some of the scorpion bearing oil and it was that which I wondered would be ok for bearings, I guess not. Will get some of the triflow stuff or would liquid silicone lube be ok.
Xascent is offline Find More Posts by Xascent
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Scorpion bearing oil. It might be easier to get the Triflow into some bearings though. Without stripping your motor, you can't easily oil the inner bearing of the pair used at the opposite end to the pinion, but most of the other bearings on the heli may be somewhat accessible with a needle or similar thin probe.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c