SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
The only gripe I have about the USPS is the lack of knowledge their staff has of their services. This came from an experience where a postal employee wouldn't let me buy the delivery confirmation because he said I could track it with the insurance that I was purchasing. That ended up costing me more in gas having to go out of my way to go to the PO to get them to track the package I was shipping.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
The only gripe I have about the USPS is the lack of knowledge their staff has of their services. This came from an experience where a postal employee wouldn't let me buy the delivery confirmation because he said I could track it with the insurance that I was purchasing. That ended up costing me more in gas having to go out of my way to go to the PO to get them to track the package I was shipping.
I've ran into that as well...seems like the ones here are inept
03svtsnakevert is online now Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
I've ran into that as well...seems like the ones here are inept
Yea, I even asked my cousin once a question about how long they hold onto a package before returning to sender, being that she works for the PO I figured she would know and I have yet to get an answer from her about it. The answers I got from the local PO and their website are totally different.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,375 Posts
Trader Rating: 393
Ya, well, I called FedEx today twice with an issue and received two levels of knowledge.
After going out to retrieve the $375.00 item and coming home, I called FedEx again to learn how to avoid shipping an item that did not exist. The second CSR was very well informed and of much more help.

Note to self; Do not create a label with FedEx on a day the carrier does not ship. (Duhhh)
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Seems USPS has no clue on how to reduce costs. If gas goes up you use it less. Go green. Electric, Bike, segues and yes good old walking power would make sense. My house is half mile from the PO. Many times I see 4 differnet UPS trucks on adjacent streets to mine. Each mail-person parks truck. Walks up to 6 houses then back in the truck to drive another 1/2 block repeat. And none of these guys are even my mail man - he shows up a 6:00pm. It doesn't make sense - I think any one of these guys could handle the 4-5 blocks rather than wasting all that gas and man power. So thats why the rates go up. Lack of any organization or fore sight.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
among other things...
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
Seems USPS has no clue on how to reduce costs. If gas goes up you use it less. Go green. Electric, Bike, segues and yes good old walking power would make sense. My house is half mile from the PO. Many times I see 4 differnet UPS trucks on adjacent streets to mine. Each mail-person parks truck. Walks up to 6 houses then back in the truck to drive another 1/2 block repeat. And none of these guys are even my mail man - he shows up a 6:00pm. It doesn't make sense - I think any one of these guys could handle the 4-5 blocks rather than wasting all that gas and man power. So thats why the rates go up. Lack of any organization or fore sight.
Here is how it was explained to me, by a former USPS employee. USPS could make money IF they were permitted to charge the same price for junk mail that you and I pay for regular mail. As well, because of the abundance of junk mail, magazines, catalogues that all get delivered for pennies .... USPS now needs additional people, vehicles and time to deliver said junk mailings.

His comment to me was that the bulk of what he delivered was junk and often he made two trips back to the P.O. to load his truck back up. He said that before junk mail became the bulk of his load, he could walk 3 or 4 times the route compared to what he could drive.

Fellows, complain to your Senator and whom ever else, but don't blame the Post Office or its employees. They are doing the best they can for the demands that are made on them.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,679 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
aka 'Bulk Mail' - as I understand it the premise is that it is pre-sorted, and in being so it frees up sorting machinery and manpower to run/maintain it sufficiently to make the reduced rates profitable. And I've seen it written as, it's hugely profitable, and the USPS not only encourages it (for the income), they crave it. Even to the point the same article said, they couldn't survive without it, & without it they'd have already been long gone.

You think postal rates are high now? Imagine a private, profit-motivated firm taking over!

Different strokes?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
Yeah, I hate that I throw most of what the USPS brings me in the trash. Most of what I deliver (UPS) is requested and used, as it costs a lot to ship. We do give big discounts to big shippers though, and some pass that savings along to consumers. I'm just thankful to have today off. Light day tomorrow. If you guys ordered 1st or 2nd day air that will be running on Friday.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Well I'll be working tonight...holidays are just another work day for me...which makes it hard to afford to ship some things
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
List too Big for a Bucket!
USA, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jul 2010
428 Posts
Trader Rating: 54
In this economy we should all be thankful to have work! I know I am! I know many who have nothing! My Thanksgiving wish to everyone is to be able to support their families and have a little left over to enjoy!!!!! God Bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
Well I'll be working tonight...holidays are just another work day for me...which makes it hard to afford to ship some things
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Yep thankful if course I hardly see my family because of work but yeah sure thankful
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
This thread makes me think...why are there so many U.S. People only what to ship into the US,and not over seas ??
The majority of these people buy their stuff over sea !!
If the buyer wants to pay (within reason) for shipping ....what is the problem ??
I have had this problem many times.
Forester77 is offline Find More Posts by Forester77
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Trader Rating: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester77 View Post
This thread makes me think...why are there so many U.S. People only what to ship into the US,and not over seas ??
The majority of these people buy their stuff over sea !!
If the buyer wants to pay (within reason) for shipping ....what is the problem ??
I have had this problem many times.
I will answer here in a few words. If you want more info, search on here. There are lots of threads.

Many people want you to ship the cheapest way, and that is not always trackable. And a truly trackable solution is Express Mail International, if I remember correctly, but nobody wants to pay for that.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
I will answer here in a few words. If you want more info, search on here. There are lots of threads.

Many people want you to ship the cheapest way, and that is not always trackable. And a truly trackable solution is Express Mail International, if I remember correctly, but nobody wants to pay for that.
I haven't read other threads about this item, it just came up to my mind.
About shipping USPS int. Express for 38$ incuding tracking ain't to much for an item for over 200$ ( well not for me), the decision is for me if i want to pay for this shipping, isn't it ?

But i will try the search for related threads
Forester77 is offline Find More Posts by Forester77