SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:56 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
Rant
Shipping!!!!

Well I must guys I am one of those people that get irritated when I see a plane I want and then see the three letters that are the bane of my existence...LPU!!!!

It's frustrating to say the least...

However, the new RISING costs of shipping has now made this almost a necessity when selling these types of items...it is no longer cost effective to ship these items, which is sad...you would think that with the price of gas going down a bit, it stands to reason that shipping would too....

The post office parcel post used to be the cheapest method to ship...not anymore...I shipped a 48x26x14 box weighing 20 pounds a few states away and it cost close to $100.00...These shipping companies, post office included, need to re-evaluate their costs because they are hurting the consumer...Furthermore, the USPS has went to congress to have the mail stopped on Saturdays because it is no longer cost effective...gimme a break!!!!

ok, off my soap box now................................for the moment
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:27 AM
Everything is Upgradeable.
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,036 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
It is so unfair. Next time I want to send a letter and since it's christmas around the corner. I will give you 1.00 instead of .44 cents we charge. You drive it from your house in Texas to mine in Florida. Don't forget to ~~~> FUEL <~~~~ up in georgia as it will save you a few cents. I look forward to your visit and hearing how it went.
postalflyer72 is online now Find More Posts by postalflyer72
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:30 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalflyer72 View Post
It is so unfair. Next time I want to send a letter and since it's christmas around the corner. I will give you 1.00 instead of .44 cents we charge. You drive it from your house in Texas to mine in Florida. Don't forget to ~~~> FUEL <~~~~ up in georgia as it will save you a few cents. I look forward to your visit and hearing how it went.
well, I can see from what side you swing from...I'll just email ya...it's quicker and a bit more reliable...don't want you guys overworked around the holidays...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:31 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,161 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
I swear,I think I'm dealing with a different USPS than everyone else.!
I sent a Pica Aeronca ,double boxed,from Md. to Idaho,insured,tracked,with signature req,in three days,for $24.15!
The poor buyer had to go to the PO to sign and pick it up,because he didn't expect it for over a week.,and wasn't home when it arrived.
I sometimes think the USPS may have a truck headed somewhere with priority mail,and include my first class package too,....so what,if it gets there early?
If I find something bad,I'll let you know,but so far........
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:54 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Here is a link showing the cost for the parcel post

http://postcalc.usps.com/MailService...&h=16&w=26&g=0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:22 AM
Everything is Upgradeable.
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,036 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
Actually around the holidays packages move quicker. There is extra help hired around Christmas time which makes up for it. Also 2 to 3 more truck deliveries to each smaller office.
postalflyer72 is online now Find More Posts by postalflyer72
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:36 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
UPS Ground would be no better - 95.16 USD Billable Weight: 106.0 lbs.

A package like that is considered oversized by all shippers. Lots of folks use Greyhound, which would save you money, but they are risky and unreliable, and have poor package tracking.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Nov 2011
269 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
It makes a big difference to UPS if you can ship to a business address. I sold two kits a couple of weeks ago, a 40 size and a 25 size, double boxed, UPS ground, North Carolina to California, $12.50
RCTodd is online now Find More Posts by RCTodd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
From the lighter side....
I'm old enuff to remember a time where I read some editorialist or such make the notable comment about, words to the effect - "It costs less to send a letter today than it did by Pony Express". This was at a time -- mid-70's it seems -- when 1st Class was like, 10 & with the 'recent' rise from 8 everybody was raising t-total-hell about the PO's proposing another increase to 13. I distinctly remember the author stating the Pony Express cost for a letter was 25, as his point of comparison.

But curiosity ( & consideration of money value difference between then & now) took me to Wiki & they basically belie that point:
"As the Pony Express Mail service existed briefly in 1860 and 1861 there are consequently very few examples of surviving Pony Express mail today. Also contributing to the scarcity of surviving Pony Express mail was the fact that the cost to send a 1/2 ounce letter was $5.00 at the beginning, a costly sum in those days and mostly unaffordable to the general public. By the end period of the Pony Express, the price had dropped to $1.00 per 1/2 ounce. Even the $1.00 rate was considered a lot of money ($26 in 2012 U.S. Dollars) just to mail one letter in those days."
Ergo the author was correct in his claim, but not applesy-to-orangesy.

Couldn't help noting another notable mote while there:
"Back in 1860, riding for the Pony Express was difficult work – riders had to be tough and lightweight. There is a famous advertisement that reportedly read, "Wanted: Young, skinny, wiry fellows not over eighteen. Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred."
Freakin' WOW! Missed every qualification!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Trader Rating: 55
Who needs Saturday delivery? I can wait till Monday to get my junk mail.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:07 AM
mailman
United States, TX, La Marque
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
all the buisnesses on my route need saturday deliveries, all my elderly folks who don't get any other visitors but me like saturday deliveries. the people who do my route on my day off who would be out of a job without saturday deliverie, like it. sorry about the junk mail, but you complain when all you get is bills
uspsjuan is offline Find More Posts by uspsjuan
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:18 AM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,766 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I am in that group of folks that have had nothing but excellent results using USPS.

I can walk into my local USPS and ship a reasonable size package across the country, Priorty mail and do so reasonably cheap. All my local UPS and FED EX offices are franchises and they charge me DOUBLE or better of what USPS will charge. Thus, if I could walk into a FED EX company store, I would pay say $15 to ship a box, but I would have to drive a 40 mile round trip. If I walk into my local FED EX franchise, I will pay $30 for the same package. If I walk into my local USPS I will pay close to the FED EX company price or less, usually less.

As for the cost of shipping, it is based on package SIZE and not weight. Just the opposite of what it was several years ago. In essence, we are priced on our package based on the volumn it takes up in the truck. Thus, regardless of who the shipper is the price will be higher than what we like. If the package is considered 'oversize' then look out, it will be a hefty shipping fee.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Trader Rating: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspsjuan View Post
all the buisnesses on my route need saturday deliveries, all my elderly folks who don't get any other visitors but me like saturday deliveries. the people who do my route on my day off who would be out of a job without saturday deliverie, like it. sorry about the junk mail, but you complain when all you get is bills
They like Saturday deliveries. I like a brand new plane right now. But the truth is, we do not need them. I don't complain, just saying. I'd rather see they get rid of Saturday delivery than to close up some of the smaller post offices. I know people that are 30 or even more miles one way away from the post office if they close their local one.

BTW, I love USPS. I ship everything through them. Never had a problem so far.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Aliphatic resin applicator
Joined Oct 2012
74 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
..I shipped a 48x26x14 box weighing 20 pounds a few states away and it cost close to $100.00...
44X20X12 puts it under 108" girth, so it would have been just $20 to ship, but anything oversized is going to run $91 or more. That's why you have Greyhound buslines for big boxes, it's about half that, or send two boxes separating items if you can, and $40 would have been your total, perhaps like an airplane fuselage and wing that can go in two boxes.

As far as no mail on Saturday, they can mail me every other day for the rest of my life and I wouldn't mind. Trash pick up is once a week and the fly population bothers me more, rather they picked up trash twice a week again. Flies don't care about old mail.
All my serious business these days is online anyway. PACKAGES are really the only mail that matters anymore thanks to email, internet stores, and ignoring foreclosure processes....
329 is offline Find More Posts by 329
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
262 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
What is sad is that have have shipped tough boxes and big totes that weight double that of most rc planes, and cost under 60$ and that's shipping both here in the states and overseas.

I don't get it and that's why I hardly ship anything anymore.
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user