HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Ah Chem:

LOL on the bladder thing!! (Why... just about pee'd my pants laughing. Darned ol' bladders.)

JK:

I've never been around a diesel... really messy, eh?

Also... sounds like you have some EXCELLENT projects on the shelf waiting for you. Reminds me... I need to get back up to the attic and bring down my "tribute" Combat Kitten I built when I was last active and clean it up and get a pic to share.
Well... If you mix in the black residue from the burned kerosene in the fuel with the oil in a glow, you will have it.
It's really not all that bad if the tune is good, it's just different than a glow. The old sparkies that ran gasoline and SAE 70 "motorcycle oil" were probably the cleanest of all exhaust wise.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
I was around diesel U/C a couple of times, around 30 years ago.

Just a slimy, but much, much smellier (could not get the odor out of my nose, my clothes, or my car)!

Pretty neat, though.

Interesting to see someone able to sort out the combination of needle and compression tuning.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:09 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
489 Posts
Update:

Since I last posted in this thread, some interesting things have happened:

* I no longer feel uncertain about how my C/L will play out. I think it's safe to say I'm going to enjoy C/L and glow engines for a while.

* I still think the majority of my C/L kicks will be found in dabbling with the older stuff. (Like my vintage combat planes, a 35 Stunt powered OTS or Classic stunt ship, etc.)

* I am going to continue to explore R/C to see how I enjoy it. (Fed Ex delivered my first aileron radio and airplane today.)

HOWEVER...

Something quite interesting is happening. Our 34 year old daughter (and her boyfriend) and 12 year old grand daughter were over for Thanksgiving. They spent the night on Wednesday and left for the boyfriend's folks about 2 PM. Well... she was pretty excited that I am reactivating in C/L. You see, when she was about 10 I taught her to fly C/L, and helped her build her first balsa plane (a Golberg Stuntman 23). She enjoyed flying. Once she was in her mid-teens and I began to fly again after a couple years absence, she picked it right up and where she'd left off. Soon she was doing loops and wingovers and some sport eights. She even got to the point that she could fly the vintage combat planes (w/restrictors). Then she dorked a really nice looking and good flying Demon... and I think that was the last she flew.

Anyway... over these past 12 years that I've been inactive, she has oft mentioned it would be cool to fly again and hoped I would pull the stuff out and get flying again.

Well, as they were over for Thanksgiving... she was asking me all about the airplanes, how the first flights went, etc, etc. She seemed as pumped as I was that I was getting back into C/L. Shucks, we all watched that AMA film I have on VHS titled "Wired For Excitement"... even the boy friend thought this stuff was pretty cool.

Okay, this is getting too long... let me cut to the chase:

She wants to fly again. I'm fine with it... but she'll start back on the 35 Stunt powered foamies. She's hoping we can pull it off next Saturday. (She doesn't have much time, as she's working and putting herself through college... with a little help from her mom and I.)

Soo... next Saturday we may go flying! We've still got some details to iron out... hopefully it will happen.
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Update:

Since I last posted in this thread, some interesting things have happened:

* I no longer feel uncertain about how my C/L will play out. I think it's safe to say I'm going to enjoy C/L and glow engines for a while.

* I still think the majority of my C/L kicks will be found in dabbling with the older stuff. (Like my vintage combat planes, a 35 Stunt powered OTS or Classic stunt ship, etc.)

* I am going to continue to explore R/C to see how I enjoy it. (Fed Ex delivered my first aileron radio and airplane today.)

HOWEVER...

Something quite interesting is happening. Our 34 year old daughter (and her boyfriend) and 12 year old grand daughter were over for Thanksgiving. They spent the night on Wednesday and left for the boyfriend's folks about 2 PM. Well... she was pretty excited that I am reactivating in C/L. You see, when she was about 10 I taught her to fly C/L, and helped her build her first balsa plane (a Golberg Stuntman 23). She enjoyed flying. Once she was in her mid-teens and I began to fly again after a couple years absence, she picked it right up and where she'd left off. Soon she was doing loops and wingovers and some sport eights. She even got to the point that she could fly the vintage combat planes (w/restrictors). Then she dorked a really nice looking and good flying Demon... and I think that was the last she flew.

Anyway... over these past 12 years that I've been inactive, she has oft mentioned it would be cool to fly again and hoped I would pull the stuff out and get flying again.

Well, as they were over for Thanksgiving... she was asking me all about the airplanes, how the first flights went, etc, etc. She seemed as pumped as I was that I was getting back into C/L. Shucks, we all watched that AMA film I have on VHS titled "Wired For Excitement"... even the boy friend thought this stuff was pretty cool.

Okay, this is getting too long... let me cut to the chase:

She wants to fly again. I'm fine with it... but she'll start back on the 35 Stunt powered foamies. She's hoping we can pull it off next Saturday. (She doesn't have much time, as she's working and putting herself through college... with a little help from her mom and I.)

Soo... next Saturday we may go flying! We've still got some details to iron out... hopefully it will happen.
Excellent.
I think I still have the MAN with the nice cover shot of Dawn Cosmillo getting ready at the handle for a launch of her Super Satan vs an opponent- very sweet... Tell your daughter- "Let's rock".
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
900 Posts
Hi Fellas

After posting my comments about the Smoothie, I went back to LA Ming's and AH Clem's introductions on this webpage and, I must say - I enjoyed reading your stories immensely I am in the same boat.
As a teenager (way back in my homeland, Israel), I flew CL Stunt. There was a small group of us learning by doing (ie, crashing a lot) and painfully getting some basics as take off, level flying, inverted, loops etc. There was hardly anyone to learn things such as adjustable leadouts, tip weights etc. from. After a few years, I went into the RC world - all the way up to and including Giant Scale.
Approx. 2 years ago, I suddenly discovered that I was 56 years old, and, getting nostalgic by the hour. I rediscovered CL and found a local retired guy who is an avid, very active stunt flyer and a very experienced builder with an enormous collection of engines and models. We became friends for awhile (until politics killed the friendship) and he helped me get back into CL Stunt BIG TIME. I have a keen interest in OT, Classic and some more modern designs. Thanks to the Internet and websites like Stunthangers and Stuka Stunt Works, I was able to close the knowledge gap and derive enormous joy from learning, building, and flying. My wonderful wife and best friend is my "pitman". I love the smell of castor oil and don't mind cleaning at all. I am somewhat interested in electrics but right now find them a little bit too sterile in the sound department. I have a pretty sizable collection of Spark Ignition, Glow, and, Diesel engines and love them all. Right now I am half way through building a P-51 (52" span) that I intend to power with a Russian made Norvel 25 (a truly amazing powerful, technologically advanced IC engine) and finishing a Veco Red Skin for kicks. Have a stash of kits and plans to last me way beyond my last day on earth. The next project will be a Viking to be powered by an OK Super 60 on ignition, and, oh - I forgot to mention: I have a Stunt Wagon that I got the wing built from a friend that will be completed soon enough and I plan to power with a Diesel Converted OS 40 FP. To put it simply - I am in hog heaven Being able to scratch build a model and have it flying in 2 months is simply fun with the end in sight. I could babble on and on but will just add a few pictures of my models built in the past year for now and than touch base again after you had a chance to comment if you choose to do so.
Best Regards
Joshua
N99JH is offline Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:44 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
Excellent.
I think I still have the MAN with the nice cover shot of Dawn Cosmillo getting ready at the handle for a launch of her Super Satan vs an opponent- very sweet... Tell your daughter- "Let's rock".
Found on Stuka Stunt
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:18 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
489 Posts
John in TX:

Yup... I well remember that cover. As a 15 year old US male... I thought Dawn looked like a "hottie" in that cover pic!

Hi Joshua! Pleased make your acquaintance. Welcome aboard this thread and thanks for pitching in!

Pmack:

You got it! For those of you wondering a bit more about this "Dawn Cosmillo"... here's a link that shares a bit more about her and her C/L flying:

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/MAN_1967_09.HTML
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
John in TX:

Yup... I well remember that cover. As a 15 year old US male... I thought Dawn looked like a "hottie" in that cover pic!

Hi Joshua! Pleased make your acquaintance. Welcome aboard this thread and thanks for pitching in!

Pmack:

You got it! For those of you wondering a bit more about this "Dawn Cosmillo"... here's a link that shares a bit more about her and her C/L flying:

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/MAN_1967_09.HTML

That's it. She's walking out the lines. Same issue has the S.S. article.