HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Discussion
9C trainer switch cuts throttle?

I'm working on setting up the headtracker in my FPV goggles with my 9CAP(the HT uses CH 5 and 6). I've never use the trainer function of any radio before. I've got it all figured out, but I noticed something odd. When I flip the trainer switch, either on or off, the throttle cuts out and I have to return the stick back to zero to start the motor again. Is this just the way it works, or do I have a setting wrong someplace? Thanks for the help.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
I'm working on setting up the headtracker in my FPV goggles with my 9CAP(the HT uses CH 5 and 6). I've never use the trainer function of any radio before. I've got it all figured out, but I noticed something odd. When I flip the trainer switch, either on or off, the throttle cuts out and I have to return the stick back to zero to start the motor again. Is this just the way it works, or do I have a setting wrong someplace? Thanks for the help.
Mixed functions on that switch have not been negated, refer to Manual page 7:
"Trainer system includes the “functional” (FUNC) setting, which allows the
student to use the 9C’s mixing, helicopter, and other programming functions
even with a 4-channel buddy box. (Optional trainer cord required.)"

and the attached extracts from the manual

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Thanks, but that's not the issue. I don't have any Thr-Cut or Idle-Down programmed. Even if I did, on my 9CAP, they're not assigned to the trainer/snap roll switch anyway. This also only happens when I've got the trainer cord hooked up. Without the trainer system activated, the switch has no effect on the throttle.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Thanks, but that's not the issue. I don't have any Thr-Cut or Idle-Down programmed. Even if I did, on my 9CAP, they're not assigned to the trainer/snap roll switch anyway. This also only happens when I've got the trainer cord hooked up. Without the trainer system activated, the switch has no effect on the throttle.
Given that a genuine trainer cable is in use,
reprogram that model on another model number after doing a reset of the memory of that model to
clear any extraneous data and compare result - or simply reset that model memory and reload it.
In need, if not then cleared, refer direct to Futaba service centre.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,655 Posts
Jeff,

It sounds like channel 3 of the dummy channels being sent by the head tracker is being selected when the trainer switch is pulled. Check what mode channel 3 is set to in the trainer menu.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Ch 3 is set to "off" in the trainer menu. It's set the same way as elevator and rudder are, and neither of those react with the trainer switch.

Edit: I just tried it with a second Tx as a buddy box and a different cable. No change in this behavior, so it's not the headtracker or signal from the goggles causing the problem.
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Ok, I started from scratch with a blank deleted model and set it up again. Didn't make any difference.

Then, I tried a different ESC(I just unplugged the wire from one plane and ran the ESC wire to this receiver). The problem went away. So, I tried a third ESC(again bu just jumping the ESC wire from one plane into this one's receiver). The problem was still gone.

So, it's the ESC that's causing the issue. I'm using a Multiplex BL-27/II ESC. There must be something in the trainer on/off transition that's causing the ESC to cut the throttle. Looks like I'm stuck with it unless I buy another ESCs...
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:50 PM.